My little girl smoked a good one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My little girl smoked a good one

I usually keep my hunting pics and stories private for a variety of reasons. With that being said, I’m excited to share this hunt. My little girl, Caroline, has been my shadow her whole life. I can’t do a single thing without her right on my heels. She makes all my experiences that much more memorable. We live on our family ranch so watching deer and deer/fishing/hunting is an almost daily occurrence. Caroline has asked me since she was 4 if she could shoot a deer. I made up a random rule, as dad’s tend to do, that she had to wait till she was 6 before she could shoot a deer. As her luck would have it, her birthday falls the week before archery season opens. So, last year, at the ripe age of 6 years old and 1 week, she nails an awesome 8 point with 11 1/2” g2’s 15 minutes into her hunt on opening morning. Unfortunately, we didn’t find the buck until the next day but the coyotes had done their work which resulted in us missing the ceremonial pics, hugs and hi-fives. What she didn’t know there was a very good buck walking in when she shot her buck.

Fast forward to this year and she was pestering me about all sorts of bucks that call our backyard home. Unbeknownst to her, I had one singled out for her or her brother. He was one that we had been watching several years and this year was his year. As the summer progressed, our target buck was finishing out nicely with a ton of character. Opening morning found me in the blind with older brother. Out comes our buck along with 16 other bucks. I’ve never had a hunt like this. All the bucks were in our lap. It was a problem. Not a single shot presented itself so we just had to sit and watch the parade. After that hunt, brother said he just didn’t want to hunt and Caroline could shoot the buck. He’s a mama’s boy and isn’t overly interested in hunting yet. Certainly not an issue and something I don’t want to force. His time will come. His sister sure loves this detail lol!

So, she gladly stepped up and volunteered to shoot the deer. Our first sit was very eventful. Our boy was there along with a pile of his pals. He stayed 30 yards out the whole time. I’ve never had her practice shooting her crossbow at 30 yards so I held her off…she was not too happy and insisted she could make the shot. I’m positive she could have but I didn’t want to force anything. He was a regular at the feeder and was still very calm and unaware of our presence.

The next evening we settled back in ready for our hunt. Lo and behold, he and a few of his pals walk out 15 minutes after we got settled. With no feed on the ground, they headed into the woods towards our tank to get a drink before the feeder went of. Sure enough, they come strolling in on cue after the feeder threw. He headed straight for us. This was happening! He slowly works his way to us and turns broadside at 20 yards. He slightly quarters away and as soon as I see him put his front leg forward, I give her the green light. An eternity later (or so it felt), her arrow launches and smacks him behind the shoulder.

Hugs! Hi-fives! Squealing! And a bit of calming the nerves after the shot. A solid 3 minutes after the shot and I just had to check for blood. Yep, blood. Then a little more….and a lot more. Better wait a few more minutes cause that what the tv shows tell us…..call mom and tell her to wait a few minutes. Better check for more blood. Yep, lots of it. Should make sure I know where he goes before it gets too dark. Just want to see if he went into the woods or the field….lots of blood. Caroline in the loudest whisper possible: “dad! I see him!” More hugs, hi-fives and squealing. Let’s get mom!! He went maybe 43.5 yards. A quick call to my dad from Caroline and he was down in five minutes to celebrate with us. What an exciting time! What a stud of a buck and what a memorable moment. One proud dad here. Not bad for a 7 year old if you ask me
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LHPanther; 10-23-2021, 10:52 PM.

Wow! Congrats to your girl!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats to Caroline! Y'all did Good!

Comment

Bruiser!! Congrats!

Comment

Simply Awesome!!!
          Congratulations to both of you

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Congrats to her!

Comment

A real good one!

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Yeah she did! Congrats to you both.

Comment

Heck yeah!
                      Congrats to the young huntress and to you dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow! He’s a tank! Congrats Caroline and you too dad!

Comment

Very nice, congrats to her

Comment

Holy smokes what a tank! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X