Crushed concrete driveway???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
    Another variable is to consider what ground you are laying it on. Compaction and soil type need to be considered. If its mushy I would come in with large slag or bull crushed concrete for the base then add you standard crushed. In soft ground like open pasture you can easily lose 6 inches of rock below grade after driving on it wet very quickly.

This is the most important variable

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      So, where does one go about finding crushed concrete???? And is it better than crushed granite on top of the caliche?

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If done right, crushed concrete is superior IMO

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
        If done right, crushed concrete is superior IMO
        I agree.

Comment

Just finished having washed crushed concrete layed on my entire driveway. I would suggest having them include rolling it once it is laid. It makes a world of difference since there is no dirt/fines included in crushed concrete. Would have loved blacktop, but at almost 3x the price it wasn’t worth it to me

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
            The 3 main criteria for my driveway is cheap, cheap, and cheap. I can’t afford to spend $50-$60k on a “nice” driveway and build the house.

It costs $15 to fix a flat and $10 to wash a car. I can do that a bunch of times for the cost difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            The crushed concrete was only slightly cheaper than the gravel we had laid down the time before.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
              Just finished having washed crushed concrete layed on my entire driveway. I would suggest having them include rolling it once it is laid. It makes a world of difference since there is no dirt/fines included in crushed concrete. Would have loved blacktop, but at almost 3x the price it wasn’t worth it to me
              Why did you get wash rock?

Comment

How about some before and after photos?
                My A-6 gravel topped 1/4 mile drive is nice and weatherproof, but larger rocks in it
                Make walking and biking not smooth.

Not dusty though like Caliche

Comment

I dont remember how many loads of clay went down, then a thin layer of concrete then we did slag over that. I spread the last layer with a FEL and Im by far the best tractor operator. Its not smooth by any means. Now that its been rained on for a year its hard as a rock!! And we havent lost any of the crown.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    So, where does one go about finding crushed concrete???? And is it better than crushed granite on top of the caliche?

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    If you can mix a little cement in the crushed granite, wet and roll, it will be there forever.

If your talking crushed granite road base, not decomposed granite, it will be way superior.

Comment

I'm in the same boat, I need about 900' of drive done.

Freight is what is killing me on road base, 50 miles round trip to the pit.

I'm looking at other options as well.

Comment

I have posted this before, but here is our driveway. We used woven geotextile fabric under about 4-5 inches of 1" crushed stone with fines. It has been down for 3 years now and is doing great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

However much you think you need, triple it! Ha.

Just got done building a house and dirt snd gravel we’re two things that seemed to go like wildfire. I’d spend all day getting one or the other delivered and it was gone within an hour. My drive is right at 300 feet long, 12-14 foot wide. There are some parts that are built up pretty thick. I want to say I’ve got seven loads, truck and pup. Don’t quote me on that tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                            I have posted this before, but here is our driveway. We used woven geotextile fabric under about 4-5 inches of 1" crushed stone with fines. It has been down for 3 years now and is doing great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                            I have a travel trailer pad to build. How does that pad do when you drive on it to spread material

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              Why did you get wash rock?
                              Because I didn’t want dust/fines involved to be tracked onto my driveway or in the house. Used larger crushed concrete 1”-1 1/2”. Placed 2”- 4” thick and rolled afterwards and it is very solid even without fines to hold it in place. Have been very pleased

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                                Because I didn’t want dust/fines involved to be tracked onto my driveway or in the house. Used larger crushed concrete 1”-1 1/2”. Placed 2”- 4” thick and rolled afterwards and it is very solid even without fines to hold it in place. Have been very pleased
                                It won't last as long, but glad that it is working out for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X