Kidney stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kidney stones

Man! Forget being worried about Covid! I’m dealing with my first ever kidney stone. This is is miserable, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

Sorry to hear, my dad use to get them every couple years when he was in his 40s. I’m mid 40s now and haven’t got one yet thank god. How old are you?

Comment

I feel for you. I’ve given birth to at least ten. The first one scared me to death because I had no idea what was going on. Thought I was dying. You get used to them after that, though.

Try to drink plenty of water to flush that thing on through. My doctor has also recommended taking Azo which has an OTC medication that soothes the lining of the lower urinary tract. It is helpful in reducing the (irritatingly) constant sensation of needing to urinate. Also helps if you have pain during urination.

If the pain in your lower back (where the kidneys are) continues to get worse throughout the day, don’t wait until right before you go to bed to get relief. Pain that can sometimes be ignored by the distractions of your daily activities seems to come roaring to life when it’s time to go to bed. Get thee to an ER long before then to get some medication relief.

Good luck.

Comment

I have battled those evil monsters for just over a decade.........point blank, they suck! I have learned a few tricks to ease the discomfort and help pass them.

1. Fill up a bath tub and soak in it. I don't know what it does but it provides a tremendous amount of pain relief.

2. Get a perscription for some type of dilation medicine such as Flomax

3. If the pain is unbearable go to your PCP and get a shot of Toridal...it works almost instantly but doesn't loop you out of your mind like narcotics will.

4. Beer....grab a six pack of your favorite flavor and drink them. It curbs the pain a little but more importantly it makes your kidneys get to work and flushes them out in turn moving the monsters on along.

Good luck and if you can catch them in a strainer there are tests the can run on them to determine what they are caused from. Some of the causes are treatable with medication or even diet change.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
          I have battled those evil monsters for just over a decade.........point blank, they suck! I have learned a few tricks to ease the discomfort and help pass them.

1. Fill up a bath tub and soak in it. I don't know what it does but it provides a tremendous amount of pain relief.

3. If the pain is unbearable go to your PCP and get a shot of Toridal...it works almost instantly but doesn't loop you out of your mind like narcotics will.

4. Beer....grab a six pack of your favorite flavor and drink them. It curbs the pain a little but more importantly it makes your kidneys get to work and flushes them out in turn moving the monsters on along.

Good luck and if you can catch them in a strainer there are tests the can run on them to determine what they are caused from. Some of the causes are treatable with medication or even diet change.
          I'll pass these tips along to my 89 year old dad who is battling his first one... 9mm Says he'd rather die.

Comment

I'm 41 and ive been getting one about every 5 years since I was 20.
            Most of them result in an ER visit and a few doses of morphine.

Get your urologist to prescribe you flowmax, it might help.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
              The first one scared me to death because I had no idea what was going on. Thought I was dying.
              This was me. Had no idea what was happening, but knew it wasn't good. ER lady knew exactly what it was when I got there.

Comment

Drink a lot of cranberry juice, and good luck. I've had them before, and they are the most painful things I have had to go through.

My urologist said that he has talked with tons of women who have had kidney stones and given birth naturally, and they said the kidney stones were more painful.

I had a big one that was too big to pass naturally, and had to be broken up with sound waves, and I had to pass the broken up pieces. Also, some stones are shaped like sticker burrs, so they don't want to go with the flow...

I'm sorry that you have to go through all this.
                Last edited by hog_down; 10-11-2021, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Yes the beer works wonders.I started getting stones about once a year in my mid 20s until I got my gall bladders removed.I don’t know what one had to do with the other but that was my experience.I have 2 stones in a kidney at present but they don’t seem to be affecting anything.First one I had hit me fast I thought I was going to give birth right through my back rib cage I hit the floor and couldn’t move or hardly breathe.My dad and grandpa got them so even though it was scary I was pretty sure what it was.

Comment

I had a few myself. Get in the shower and let the hot water hit you in the area of the pain. This helped me a lot. Along with some good pain meds. Had to go under twice to have them removed…. Sucked… I second Toradol as well. Really helps
                    Last edited by WilliamL; 10-11-2021, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post

So the first time I think it decided to tell me it was here was about 3 weeks ago. I was at work and dying for like an Hr. Popped some ibuprofen and chugged some water and everything was fine. Well night before last it came back with a vengeance. 4.5 hrs in the ER later I got a CT to confirm a 5mm stone, 1 liter of fluid, a urine analyze and a script for flomax and Toradol. Yesterday was an absolute nightmare but today is better. Didn’t grab any beer but I’ve been chugging cranberry juice like no one’s business. Hopefully this dang thing decides to up and vacate soon. Oh also I’m not a big bath guy but you are right I’ve managed about 12 of them in the past 2 days and they definitely take the edge off

Comment

I know there is nothing funny about having a kidney stone but Foxworthy's bit on them is the best.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SANOaHmE-G8"]Kidney Stones - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by WildMatt84 View Post
                          So the first time I think it decided to tell me it was here was about 3 weeks ago. I was at work and dying for like an Hr. Popped some ibuprofen and chugged some water and everything was fine. Well night before last it came back with a vengeance. 4.5 hrs in the ER later I got a CT to confirm a 5mm stone, 1 liter of fluid, a urine analyze and a script for flomax and Toradol. Yesterday was an absolute nightmare but today is better. Didn’t grab any beer but I’ve been chugging cranberry juice like no one’s business. Hopefully this dang thing decides to up and vacate soon. Oh also I’m not a big bath guy but you are right I’ve managed about 12 of them in the past 2 days and they definitely take the edge off
                          Good deal! I say a couple prayers for you, those things are the worst!

Comment

I had one in college that required a lithotripsy to be removed. approx 7mmx5mm

It knocked me on my ***. thankfully I've never had one like that since. It was absolute misery.

Comment

I've never had one, but my wife has several a year. She prefers phenergan over pain pills. Good luck. I wish them on nobody.

Comment

Working...
                              X