No announcement yet.

Nilgai failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son dropped a nilgai cow when he was 16 with a 270 150 grain. He hit her twice but she dropped where she stood. Hate to hear you lost it.

Comment

I've heard many a similar story about Nilgai from some good shooter's ..

Comment

I met a guy hired by the Kenedy ranch to kill as many as he could(damaging fences) He only used a 243 and would shoot in spot on neck and or the hump. Otherwise you run risk of them running off never to found. I've killed a few and lost one big one..he got hit by a 180gr and 7mm twice in shoulder and still got away.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments, I figured I’ve shared a few success stories and I should share this as well. There were a few mistakes made that will be hard lesson learned. I asked ranch owner about a tracking dog but he didn’t know of one. The first big pool of blood we found was about 30 yards from where it was shot. It was a 10”-12” puddle, so I think he stopped there for a little bit till he was pushed by us pulling up in the Jeep. I don’t feel like the shot was bad but I’ll be interested to hear from them when they do find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well they finally found him in some thick brush about 600 yards from where I shot him, shot was further back than ideal... still would have laid down and died most likely if not bumped...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Better approach slowly....may still be kickin'.

Comment

Knowing just how good Nilgai meat is, seeing that is painful! Better luck next go round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Well that sux that he didn't make it, great eating.

Comment

I bought some partitions for a Nilgai hunt and figured I would try them out on deer first. I hate those bullets, I had to track both deer I shot with them. Went back to the cheapo core-lokts and started dropping deer where they stand again. So now I have 3 boxes of $40 bullets I can't stand. The guide says I need to use them and I haven't went on the hunt yet soooooo

Comment

You were in a high fence? I have read enough threads on here to know that he couldn't go far in that little cage. Must have been tied to a different tree than you originally thought.

Comment

Thats why I'd insist on using my own rifle. Who's to say the borrowed rifle shoots "on" or "consistant" ?

The .270WSM would have done it (if put in the right place) imo.

And knowing/having confidence in it helps a lot.

And just for what it's worth...……. I've never even seen a Nilgai.

But I do have a .270WSM.

Comment

Crazy how strong they are

Comment

Break their shoulders. That's how you get them. I used a .300 Weatherby and broke both shoulders on both of the bulls that I killed, and neither went far at all. People get all caught up in preserving meat shooting behind the shoulder. You have to put tough animals down physically.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                              Break their shoulders. That's how you get them. I used a .300 Weatherby and broke both shoulders on both of the bulls that I killed, and neither went far at all. People get all caught up in preserving meat shooting behind the shoulder. You have to put tough animals down physically.
                              That is what you are supposed to do, but unfortunately you are wasting your time posting this.

Comment

Glad you found him bubba! Yeah,he would have died where he layed down.I never even chase a doe that runs where I can't see 'em.I got all day,and then some most o' the time..It definitely happens though.It's happened to everyone,if you pull the trigger enough.I know a lady that kills Elk with nothing,but a .243..She lives near Wall Mountain in Co.She aims at the soft spots,and let's them lay awhile.Killed more than anybody I ever met.
                                Congratulations btw!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X