Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats sucks man.

Comment

The first one is the worst! Everyone hates it, but eventually it happens to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by roysmoke View Post
        Sorry to hear about that. I put 2 rounds of 7mm stw with accubonds into a bull and he still ran. Neither bullet exited. Very tough animals.
        Shazaam!

Dangitall. Better luck next time TBone.

Comment

Well...I almost feel better. I went to Kingsville today and dropped the wife off at her folks and I ran off to chase Nilgai on a place not far away. I was toting my 6.8.
          Had a nice bull step out by a fence line about 200 yds, steady rest, wham, right in the neck. Dumped him, back legs went out and never flinched. I held on him for a few seconds, no movement whatsoever, so I jumped in my truck to go check him out. Just then I look up and he staggers to his feet and turns and runs back into the brush. I am dumbfounded, the property is only 80 acres and I scoured every inch and found no trace except the tracks he left getting up and taking off. Replayed it in my head all the way home tonight. Makes no sense, crazy tough. I'll get another chance soon.

Comment

Got lucky and was able to hunt nilgai last weekend. Finally got a shot at a bull. I hit him with a 300 win mag perfect in the shoulder. He ran off. I’ve heard so many stories that if they hit the brush and you haven’t found them in 50 yards your success rate goes down tremendously. However, we found him about 30 yards in the brush line. No blood and no exit. I think I was very lucky.

Sorry you lost your bull. Hopefully another opportunity will present itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just saw on Facebook where an old buddy of mine shot an albino Nilgai bull. Was pretty cool looking.

Comment

Tough luck. Sorry to hear.

Comment

Sorry to hear, I hope you get another chance at it soon. If I had the chance at a Nilgai I’ll probably borrow my dads 338 Lapua. Those suckers can take lead, super tough I’ve heard.

Comment

Nilgai failure

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                    I would never use someone else rifle with out shooting it first and then it would need to be explained that is the only way I’m going to hunt. I hate you lost it. Either gun would kill that animal no doubt if hit right.

Doesn’t sound like the gun he was using was the issue.

And it doesn’t sound like you would have taken the free nilgai hunt that the OP had.

TBone, sorry about the trip. It is tough losing an animal that you are certain is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                      Sorry to hear, I hope you get another chance at it soon. If I had the chance at a Nilgai I’ll probably borrow my dads 338 Lapua. Those suckers can take lead, super tough I’ve heard.
                      They are big. Just the head and cape from Rod's weighed 50 lbs. The heart was huge. Just a tad smaller than a football.
                      They are pretty tough but not invincible.
                      Search for the nilgai with a 7mm-08 thread. That guy's went down quick.
                      Put it in the right spot and they won't go too far.

Comment

The other part of hitting one is their skin, we've shot them in the white spot on the neck and the exit wound is hardly noticeable and that's with a 180gr 300 Win mag. That skin is almost like rubber in how it seals back up. Sometimes its almost better to put another round in for good measure.

Comment

That sucks man, hate to hear it.

Comment

Sorry you lost him. The absolute best shot is 1” above the elbow joint heart shot and down very quickly!

Comment

No dog?

Comment

Originally posted by BDKeeling View Post
                                Sorry you lost him. The absolute best shot is 1” above the elbow joint heart shot and down very quickly!

Yep. It looks low, but works great.

Comment

Working...
                                X