6.5 PRC Long action or Short....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 PRC Long action or Short....

So I know the 6.5 PRC is meant to be a short action round but without an extended box you are limited on seating depth. So my question is....if you built or have a long action 6.5 PRC do you with it was a short action and vice versa, if you built a short action do you wish it was a long action?

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but when I ordered my 6.5 PRC from APR for the TBH special, I asked them about that. They didn't really even give a short action as an option. I don't know if that is because the Defiance action they are using won't work in a short action or what. I didn't dig any deeper than that. I just said "okay", when I was told it was going to be on a long action.

Comment

I built on a long action and have no issues with.

My only reason for a short action would be to shave a small amount of weight.

If you go with a short be sure to use an extended mag. If not you're handicapping yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

6.5 prc is really meant to be built off a medium action. You can achieve something close with a short action and wyatt box. I personally built off a long action, as I may want to swap barrel to something else and not stuck with short action calibers only. If you plan to shoot the 150's and larger, go long action.

Comment

That’s what bothered me when I was looking at the PRC, I like SA rifles. Having to use a LA for best results I would rather go with a different caliber.

Comment

I would use a SA. You can up performance with another caliber if already going up to LA

Comment

Short action is definitely an option. Many guys including hand loaders, are going with a short action since there's good factory ammo available and there will be even more in the near future.

If you want to load heavy bullets or have the potential to upgrade to a long action chambering, then a long action might be best. I'm having one built on a short action to utilize factory ammo. If I were to go long action, I would consider a bigger round, but that's just a personal thing.

The guys at Alamo Precision Rifles can do a great job of advising you, as well as building your rifle!

Comment

It's a short action case with a longer than short action maximum cartridge overall length. Kinda sits in between a short and long action in overall length. In a short action you give up 0.155" of the brasses powder capacity with heavy for caliber bullets. Max length of 6.5PRC is 2.955". Max length in a short action is about 2.800" Supposedly the 6.5prc is designed for heavy for caliber bullets seated out to the maximum overall cartridge length. In other words you are really limiting it's performance and initial design intent stuffing it in a short action.

Comment

I had to make the same decision. Are you planning on shooting the 147gr and below bullets or will you primarily shoot the 150gr and heavier? That may help you decide. Factory ammo or 147gr and below, a SA with a Wyatt’s box should serve you well.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsLeo View Post
                    It's a short action case with a longer than short action maximum cartridge overall length. Kinda sits in between a short and long action in overall length. In a short action you give up 0.155" of the brasses powder capacity with heavy for caliber bullets. Max length of 6.5PRC is 2.955". Max length in a short action is about 2.800" Supposedly the 6.5prc is designed for heavy for caliber bullets seated out to the maximum overall cartridge length. In other words you are really limiting it's performance and initial design intent stuffing it in a short action.
                    I have my SAUM on a short action and my COAL is 2.964 with Wyatts box. If building youre not so limited

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWhmPvqAGzk&t=234s"]Analyzing The Hornady 6.5 PRC - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                        6.5 prc is really meant to be built off a medium action. You can achieve something close with a short action and wyatt box. I personally built off a long action, as I may want to swap barrel to something else and not stuck with short action calibers only. If you plan to shoot the 150's and larger, go long action.

Careful what you call a medium action. Defiance “medium” actions are the same size as Remington short actions.

Who knew you were such a movie star [emoji6]

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                        That’s what bothered me when I was looking at the PRC, I like SA rifles. Having to use a LA for best results I would rather go with a different caliber.

You could go with an XM Action from Defiance that is between a remington short action and long action. But Robert would have to chime in if this would be possible for the build (my guess is not but I could be wrong) or if you needed to start your own build.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

FYI the Wyatts MBE-04 box gives you 2.995. Custom actions shouldn't need the machining to make it work like a 700sa
                          Last edited by bphillips; 01-17-2020, 07:56 PM.

Comment

To add confusion I’ll say that I have one on both. However I prefer the long action because it gives me more options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                              FYI the Wyatts MBE-04 box gives you 2.995. Custom actions shouldn't need the machining to make it work like a 700sa
                              That was an MBE-05 in the video. It works better with the narrower PRC case than the windowed MBE-04, which does work well with the SAUM cases. It too is listed at 2.995" internal length. Problem is it doesn't measure to actual spec....which is very common with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X