No announcement yet.

CF Backstrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an old school recipe for all my hunting buddies with my Texas addition of our smashed potatoes and gravy. The recipe works with any sort of venison. I've made it with white tail, axis & elk and they all taste great.  Blended Steak ingredients 1 package Meat Church Chicken Fried Steak Breading 2 T, Meat Church Holy Voodoo 6 1/2 lb venison cutlets, tenderized 3 cups frying oil. We recommend peanut because of its high smoke point. Egg wash ingredients 4 eggs 1/2 can, good beer Smashed potatoes 3 lb potatoes. I prefer Yukon golds, but russet or reds work as well 5 T, unsalted butter, melted 3/4 C, heavy cream Meat Church Holy Cow to taste Cream Gravy ingredients ½ C unsalted butter 5 T flour 2 ½ C milk 1 T Kosher Salt Meat Church Holy Cow to taste Prepare the oil Heat the oil to 350 degrees in a Dutch oven or deep, heavy cast iron skillet. Prepare Egg wash Whisk the eggs. Then whisk in the beer. Set aside. Batter the steaks Coat the steak in the chicken fried steak breading. Optionally, add 2 T, Meat Church Holy Voodoo to the CF Breading to kick it up a notch! Then dip  the dredged steaks in the egg wash. Finally, re-coat the steak thoroughly in the breading again. So breading, wash, breading for maximum coverage. Carefully place the steak in the hot oil. Cook 4-5 minutes. Turn the steak and repeat on the other side or until golden brown. You can keep steaks warm in a cast iron skillet in your oven on the lowest setting while you fry more steaks. Smashed potatoes Peel ¾ of the skin off each potato. I leave a little skin on. Cut into 1 – 2” pieces. Cover with water in a stock pot, bring to a boil for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, drain and then smash the potatoes. Melt the butter in a small sauce pan and combine with the heavy cream. Reduce by ¼. Combine this mixture with the smashed potatoes and add any extra butter or sour cream you like. Add Holy Cow to taste. Cream Gravy Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan. Whisk in the flour. Cook until the flour starts to brown. Slowly add the milk whisking constantly. Simmer until it thickens and add the Holy Cow to taste Top both the chicken fried venison and smashed potatoes with the cream gravy and enjoy!

Comment

All ya'll talkin bout tenderizin.....If you kill them fawns....err....yearlins like I do, no tenderizin required. Ever had veal?

Comment

CF Backstrap?

Best of tried....

Tenderize backstrap
        Season with salt, pepper and garlic
        Soak in buttermilk few hours
        Coat with HEB Frying Flour
        Fry in canola oil till done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
          Cut into steaks and beat them with hammer like they owe you money. Dip in milk/egg wash. Then roll in flour with salt & pepper.
          Deep fry in oil.

Bacon grease gravy & homemade mash taters... cook about twice as much as you think you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          X2 on this way.

Yep, cook up twice as much of everything you think is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
            All ya'll talkin bout tenderizin.....If you kill them fawns....err....yearlins like I do, no tenderizin required. Ever had veal?

You ain’t kiddin. [emoji846]. I shot one in OK one time. Last morning and anything was on the list and only thing that came close enough was a “yearling”. Normally do my own but had to take to processed because I was leaving town. He said “you’re supposed to let them hit the ground before you shoot them”. Gave me a good laugh but that was the best deer I’ve ever eaten. Yes I got mine back because the tenders were about 6” long and backstrap was maybe 18”. CF backstrap with biscuits, mashed taters and A LOT of gravy is probably my last meal choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
              Never thought of it as a recipe. Milk, then flour, fry, salt and pepper.
              Chance —you forgot the “EAT!” part. 👍

Comment

Just a suggestion but this is one of my favorite ways to eat venison. Must be my heritage coming to the surface.
                Venison Jägerschnitzel

Vegetable oil, I like peanut oil.
                * 4 venison steaks 4-6 oz or sliced backstrap.
                * salt and freshly ground black pepper
                * 1/2 cup all-purpose flour combined with 1 teaspoon salt
                * 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
                * 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
                * Brown Mushroom Gravy
                * Chopped fresh parsley, garnish

INSTRUCTIONS

* Pound the venison between two sheets of plastic wrap with the flat side of a meat tenderizer until 1/4 inch thick.* Lightly sprinkle both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

* Place the flour mixture, egg, and breadcrumbs in 3 separate shallow bowls. Dredge the venison in the flour, the egg, and the breadcrumbs, coating both sides and all edges at each stage. Be careful not to press the breadcrumbs into the meat. Gently shake off the excess crumbs.* (Note: Don't let the schnitzel sit in the coating or they will not be as crispy once fried - fry immediately.)**
                * Heat the oil to 330 degrees F (not hotter or the Schnitzel will burn before the meat is done, not lower or the Schnitzel will absorb the oil and be greasy).* Use just enough oil so that the Schnitzels "swim" in it.* Fry the Schnitzel for about 2-3 minutes on both sides until a deep golden brown. Transfer briefly to a plate lined with paper towels.
                * Serve immediately topped with Homemade Brown Mushroom Gravy and garnished with chopped fresh parsley. Avoid completely drenching the Schnitzel with gravy so that much of the Schnitzel remains crispy.**

Comment

I don’t think I have ever cut up a back strap to chicken fry it.

I have made really good CFV using slices of whole muscle from the hams and they are pretty tender with just a little time with the meat mallet.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiac View Post
                    I don’t think I have ever cut up a back strap to chicken fry it.

I have made really good CFV using slices of whole muscle from the hams and they are pretty tender with just a little time with the meat mallet.
                    Then what in the world do you do with the back straps? CF is what God put them on this earth for.

Comment

I like the taste of the meat so mine is simple. Two eggs beaten with a little milk, bag of flour with salt and pepper. Flour then eggs and flour again. Drop in deep fryer and enjoy.

Comment

Try to use unbleached flour. Taste is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                          So what I do is cut your steaks then beat the heck out of them with meat tenderizer hammer. I then put the steaks in buttermilk to soak usually couple hours. Then fill a pot with peanut oil 4" deep heat to 350 degrees. While oils is heating up I prepare flours with salt pepper black pepper and garlic powder. No set amount I just add till I like the taste. Pull a steak out of the buttermilk and into the flour then deep fry. Upon completion of cooking steaks I use remaining flour mixture to make my gravy.
                          Mom? Is that you?

That’s exactly how my mom taught me. Hasn’t failed me once.

Comment

Here is recipe, and is the best there is:

First tell your wife you want chicken fried backstrap for supper. Wait 45 minutes to an hour. Sit down and eat chicken fried backstrap.

Comment

Yes cut it into 2” thick steaks and throw over a hot bed of mesquite coals for 2 minutes per side.

That’s how backstrap is supposed to be eaten. [emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                                Cut into steaks and beat them with hammer like they owe you money. Dip in milk/egg wash. Then roll in flour with salt & pepper.
                                Deep fry in oil.

Bacon grease gravy & homemade mash taters... cook about twice as much as you think you need.

I use one of these--run the piece through, turn it 90-degrees and run it through again-done.

Comment

Working...
                                X