Feeder Pen Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Pen Question

I had been having an infestation of javelina on my feeder. I have them on camera where they even attack the does. I mean 20-25 at time. Lots of them. So a few weeks ago i installed 10 hog panels around my feeder which is in thick brush. As noted in the other threads thats about a 50' diameter pen. I thought that would be plenty. There are about 3 good trails that lead up to the pen.

After 2 weeks, i went to check how it had held up and low and behold there was alot of corn under the feeder which meant that nothing had gone in to eat it.

My questions are these:

1. Do the deer eventually get used to the pen and go in? Does it take time for them. if so, how long?

2. should i make the pen larger?

Today i went and put in an Apple Crush with 3 apples to maybe entice them in. Maybe that will work. Thoughts?

Deer use my pens with 5' tall cattle panels. They didnt for a week or so. I would never use the shorter panels as hogs will climb or jump, they will. I dont have javelinas but I'd assume they are as smart and cunning as feral pigs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
      ...I dont have javelinas but I'd assume they are as smart and cunning as feral pigs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      Thanks! Maybe but they don’t have the mass and poundage to exert brute force on the pen. I made the mistake of putting T-posts only on the seams between each pen and didn’t overlap panels. Yes, they pigs busted the weaker one which happened fo be on the trail leading to the pen. I assume they rammed into it until it gave way. After reading prior posts about pens, I will have to firm up with more T-posts.

—Adversity seldom appears alone, opportunity is usually right behind it.

Comment

50' is more than enough. They just aren't used to it yet. Hard to say how long it will take. Probably depends on how hungry they are

Comment

They will eventually get in there. It takes time for deer to decide to go in a pen if they haven't had to before. And if groceries are not a problem for the deer right now in your area, then they might not have enough motivation yet.

Comment

We had this issue at our place when we first installed our feeder pens. We added a 55gal water trough and have no issues now.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
              They will eventually get in there. It takes time for deer to decide to go in a pen if they haven't had to before. And if groceries are not a problem for the deer right now in your area, then they might not have enough motivation yet.
              I was a afraid of this. There's another feeder about 150 yards away on another property. Come rut time, that might change.

Comment

Still waiting for them to enter my pin. Been about 4 months. Just takes time.

Comment

All my pens are at 25”-26” tall and I feel this is a big reason the deer are using my pens. Only had one instance of a hog climbing in. I would assume javelina aren’t as crafty at jumping than a large hog, but I have seen them scoot their way under feed pens.

Comment

I had the same issue with javalinas.
                    Put up 8 hog panels around the feeder.
                    Deer only took a few days to get in there.

They should get in there sooner or later.
                    Maybe all the corn being eaten was all from the javalinas and you only had very few deer visiting to begin with?
                    Give them time, they should show up.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, they will get used to it and eventually go in.
                      (Although, We've had hog pens up for over ten years, in my experience, the bucks, (especially mature bucks) are more cautious) I have a ton of pictures of does and young bucks (probably out of habit from what their mama's taught them) inside the pens. But very few pics of mature bucks inside the pens. Just my experience...
                      Yes, your pen is big enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X