No announcement yet.

Home Build Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you think you have enough cash it's still not enough. Double that then you should be good. We are in the process of building ours. Should he done in another 6-8 weeks. Its mind blowing how much cash it takes. Make sure the builder has everything included into the bid price. Mine didnt have water, electric and driveway into the bid. My mistake for not taking the time to look over it but it had to be done. That all came out of pocket after the down payment. That was an additional 11k. Take the time to read plans and bids.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
      When you think you have enough cash it's still not enough. Double that then you should be good. We are in the process of building ours. Should he done in another 6-8 weeks. Its mind blowing how much cash it takes. Make sure the builder has everything included into the bid price. Mine didnt have water, electric and driveway into the bid. My mistake for not taking the time to look over it but it had to be done. That all came out of pocket after the down payment. That was an additional 11k. Take the time to read plans and bids.

Your builder is a con artist or doesn't know what they are doing? How could you forget the driveway?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
        Your builder is a con artist or doesn't know what they are doing? How could you forget the driveway?
        Very good friend of mine I have known very well for 30 years. Wasn't sure where the house was going to be built is the reason why. Will end up being 525' of driveway before it's all said and done. He didn't forget we just couldn't make our minds up.

Comment

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
          Very good friend of mine I have known very well for 30 years. Wasn't sure where the house was going to be built is the reason why. Will end up being 525' of driveway before it's all said and done. He didn't forget we just couldn't make our minds up.

Ahhhh. Ok, that makes sense! (on a side note.. 525' of driveway?!?! )

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
            We are planning on 7-10 years at least. Why spray foam? Much more expensive? Im guessing its much more efficient?
            If you're currently thinking of a 7-10 year stay, consider adding an effort to build to what the market appreciates. If the market does not appreciate a feature, the money investment is lost. Nearly all energy efficiency upgrades balance at a 6-9 year pay-off. Depending on specific lifestyles.

Expensive items most of the market is not valuing at cost include, but not limited too: tankless water heaters, A/V wiring, spray foam insulation, pools, garage upgrades, media rooms, and on.

Comment

Dont waste your money on a bunch of cat 5. Almost everything is wireless now...unless you are in a rural area with Hughes net. Dont put a media room on the second floor. Dont have a breakfast room and a dining room. Have one or the other and have a big kitchen island with seating space. Make the kitchen big with at least 2 ways in and out. Make garage doors at least 8' high and one at least 18' wide.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey Barrett. Seventy five percent of my mortgage business is interim construction loans, most between Dripping and Circle C. Whether you have your funding locked down or not, let's chat about it. There are many ways to skin the cat and it's not uncommon for a borrower to be unaware of all of their options.

Trey Powers
                512-203-5869

Comment

If this could be your forever home...Put some thought into strategic points for Handicap..Some doors wide enough for wheel chair and BR and bath/shower big enough to use if W chair bound.....In other word a little forethought on lay out would make easy convert later if you had to..
                  No water in attic and no AC there either...Folks down street still redoin home after pipe broke in attic..What a mess

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
                    I’m in the process of getting mine built now. It’s on here as “piece of Texas”

I have a lot of porch space. I grew up without a porch and wanted one.

I have a huge car port. I wanted to be able to park and work on whatever I need to.

I put water on all 4 corners.

I think I’m at 50 plugs. Basically 2 on every wall BUT I forgot to put one in the hallway

Huge master bathroom. I wanted my own space!

When you buy tile, account for the cabinets. Our builder didn’t and we have a bunch of tile left, thankfully we can use it where we were going to stain the concrete

We didn’t go fancy or anything but we are getting what we want and anything we added, we paid for out of pocket
                    Thank you
                    great stuff

Comment

Insulation around all bathrooms, and get the best doors you can afford. The sound deadening being the key. Lot's of other great suggestions already.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                        Dont waste your money on a bunch of cat 5. Almost everything is wireless now...unless you are in a rural area with Hughes net. Dont put a media room on the second floor. Dont have a breakfast room and a dining room. Have one or the other and have a big kitchen island with seating space. Make the kitchen big with at least 2 ways in and out. Make garage doors at least 8' high and one at least 18' wide.

Why no media room upstairs? I agree about the Cat 5

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
                          Why no media room upstairs? I agree about the Cat 5
                          The sounds travels too bad regardless of the sound proofing you do. Also, it will be used much more on a first floor. I'm a builder and also an owner of a home with one on the 2nd floor...never again.

Comment

Don't skimp on the dirt work. My builder and I discussed how much dirt it would take for my pad and then he said add 2 more loads, you'll thank me later... Which I did

Don't have your "laundry room" in a walkway. You think "it's just a washer and dryer", well, you need more room than you think to do laundry, especially if it's near a main outrance door.

I didn't read all the responses but Dale's caught my attention as far as the back porch. I agree 100% and then go even bigger. Same with the decking in the attic. Not that I disagree on which way the back porch faces but I made my house where the garages faced the west. Get a lot more heat in the summer time in the evenings and having a garage to help absorb a lot of that heat helps tremendously IMO.

Outlets... you think you have enough, add more. I told my electrician and builder to have more than "normal" and I'm glad I did.

Lighting... I thought I wanted can lighting but they're a double edged sword. Sure they don't get dusty, fairly easy to change bulbs but I doubt I'll have them throughout my entire house next time...

Closets... make them bigger than you think then make them bigger than that...

Pantry... double the size of it, you won't regret it.

Hot and cold water outside for an outdoor sink

I've got a monsterous rock fireplace as a center focal point in my living room. Never again. I wish I would have just put in a wood burning stove in the corner and had a lot more wall space to utilize for tv, bookcases, etc. How often to we in the south really use a fireplace? a couple months out of the year? No need for all that wasted money and wall space.

I'm sure I'll think of more later but these are my pros/cons on the house I built.

Comment

Another thing I thought of, include everything in your bid. We had a good savings for our down payment but we forgot to put simple things in like electric to well, back porch, rocking the beams.

Granted we are blessed that we can afford to pay out of pocket but would have been nice to just not worry about it.

Pray it doesn’t rain. Know how you want your drive way. Be diligent on how you want things. I work a ton so my wife is this person but she is on it.

This fall/winter put us way behind but still will be in a fully custom home with 2 workers in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                                Don't skimp on the dirt work. My builder and I discussed how much dirt it would take for my pad and then he said add 2 more loads, you'll thank me later... Which I did

Don't have your "laundry room" in a walkway. You think "it's just a washer and dryer", well, you need more room than you think to do laundry, especially if it's near a main outrance door.

I didn't read all the responses but Dale's caught my attention as far as the back porch. I agree 100% and then go even bigger. Same with the decking in the attic. Not that I disagree on which way the back porch faces but I made my house where the garages faced the west. Get a lot more heat in the summer time in the evenings and having a garage to help absorb a lot of that heat helps tremendously IMO.

Outlets... you think you have enough, add more. I told my electrician and builder to have more than "normal" and I'm glad I did.

Lighting... I thought I wanted can lighting but they're a double edged sword. Sure they don't get dusty, fairly easy to change bulbs but I doubt I'll have them throughout my entire house next time...

Closets... make them bigger than you think then make them bigger than that...

Pantry... double the size of it, you won't regret it.

Hot and cold water outside for an outdoor sink

got a monsterous rock fireplace as a center focal point in my living room. Never again. I wish I would have just put in a wood burning stove in the corner and had a lot more wall space to utilize for tv, bookcases, etc. How often to we in the south really use a fireplace? a couple months out of the year? No need for all that wasted money and wall space.

This right here. We have ours in a corner because the wife wanted it and it looks good but I would have liked to went old school

I'm sure I'll think of more later but these are my pros/cons on the house I built.
                                Typed above in bold about fire place.

If you want lights on the entrance, run electric. I’m putting that in myself

Comment

Working...
                                X