Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“You must break in your barrel!” Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aren't Proof barrels hand lapped?
    Last edited by Nate Riley; 10-15-2021, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Looking good. I have never broke in a barrel in my life, would not know how, not sure there is truly a way to break in a barrel, other than to shoot it.

Comment

Good shootin'

Comment

Originally posted by Nate Riley View Post
          Aren't Proof barrels hand lapped?
          Don’t know. But several high end barrel makers hand lap and still say to do a break in.

Comment

Seems there are two camps on barrel break in. Must do and never do. I am going through a barrel cleaning program to get the copper out. I will soon know if they shoot better. I would be more than pleased with the results you got.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              Don’t know. But several high end barrel makers hand lap and still say to do a break in.
              I just think (in agreement with your first statement) that its much more likely to be unnecessary on a high-end, lapped barrel. And its more likely to make a bigger difference in an "off the shelf barrel".

I would at least do what you did to see if a high end barrel even needed it.

Comment

Dang good shooting!!!

Comment

Part of me wonders if barrel makers say “must break in” simply as a CYA statement.

But I’m no expert.

Comment

Most barrel manufacturers don’t say to break in their barrels….but people keep asking them for it so they list a break in procedure in for the process.

Your gunsmith who does the chambering is usually the weak link. How they finish the cut transition can be horrible sometimes. Bore scopes are cheap now, everyone should have one IMO.

Nice shooting.

Comment

If'n I put on a Krieger single cut rifled and factory hand lapped barrel I would not think it would require any sort of break-in. Now a mass produced cheap factory button rifled or hammer forged barrel would be different approach depending on how it shot the first 5 rounds. Some of these mass produced barrels have some horrible looking stuff inside the bore. A top quality bore scope is your friend. One that can put the image on a big laptop screen in high resolution. And yes there are some improper cleaning materials and methods that can hurt a good barrel so you need to see what's in there first.

Comment

Hell of a rig! Perfection

Comment

I never ordered a barrel before until i rebuilt my late fathers Savage 110 7Mag thats older than me (32). Got a Shilen medium contour SS barrel and had it cerakoted. Shilen told me to do a 50 rd break in. 1 shot, run bore snake, repeat for 5 rounds. Then 5 shot group, run bore snake, repeat to 50 total rounds.
                          Idk if it did anything or not, but it sure shoots good.
                          3 shots at 100 with basic factory Norma Whitetail 150g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought a savage 116 SS , my break in on it was lapping and crowning the barrel, then
                            3 shots to “ foul it “ after that it was a .40 moa @ 100 300WM , lapping a off the rack rifle
                            Will deburr / break in , IMO is the way to go

Comment

Then the magic happened. I decided to put it on paper at 200.

3 shots. .09” at 200.

Don’t need no stinking break in. Load em and launch em!

[ATTACH]1066373[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1066374[/ATTACH]
                              Could been .03" had you broken it in!!

Kidding. i don't break them in either.

Comment

Good shooting! I never break in barrels. They will either shoot or tweak the load to shoot. I was at one time that guy that compulsively cleaned my barrels but have determined that's not needed either. I'll clean every 200 rounds or yearly. Some barrels shoot better clean, some like to be dirty

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X