No announcement yet.

1911 knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said I didn’t want a cheap 1911, but I should have thrown out a price range. After looking at the WC and DW , wow they are nice and proud of it. My price range is 1200-1500 .

I’m on the hunt, I think it’s going to be hard with all this BS going on.

Thanks for the reply’s guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In that range your solid in the Kimber, Springfield, Ruger market. Heard good things about the Springfield and Ruger but no experience with them. Check out the Kimber TLE. Factory night sights and front strap checkering. Whatever you buy get some high quality magazines for it. Wilson or if 10mm try Cobra mags. I've the base plate fall off Colt mags during a match, a Kimber that wouldn't feed with Kimber mags., worked flawlessly with everything else. 1911 seem to be a little more magazine sensitive than other pistols.

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
        I said I didn’t want a cheap 1911, but I should have thrown out a price range. After looking at the WC and DW , wow they are nice and proud of it. My price range is 1200-1500 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        In that range, i would probably go with a springfield TRP, assuming you can find one

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
          In that range your solid in the Kimber, Springfield, Ruger market. Heard good things about the Springfield and Ruger but no experience with them. Check out the Kimber TLE. Factory night sights and front strap checkering. Whatever you buy get some high quality magazines for it. Wilson or if 10mm try Cobra mags. I've the base plate fall off Colt mags during a match, a Kimber that wouldn't feed with Kimber mags., worked flawlessly with everything else. 1911 seem to be a little more magazine sensitive than other pistols.
          Interesting on the mags. I've probably got 50-60 1911 mags in 7 and 8 round varieties with a cornucopia of butt plates and I've not had an issue with any of them in any of 1911s. When I go to the range, I just grab a small handful of whatever's on top of the pile and go with it. That said, I like the checkmates and the wilsons for fit and finish.

Comment

Dan Wesson Guardian would be a very solid choice in that range

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post

In that price range, my recommendation is a Dan Wesson. They are the closest to semi custom quality than any other production gun. If you bide your time, you may be able to find a used Baer in that price range.

There was a Wilson Combat listed on here a few weeks ago for $1400, but it sold pretty quick.

I don’t currently have one, but I really don’t think you’ll be disappointed with a Dan Wesson.

Comment

check out S&W e-series, they are in the 1000-1400 range.

ive had one for 11 years.

Comment

In that price range i'd get a Springfield TRP, a Springfield Vickers Masterclass, or a used DW.

Comment

Here is another option, he does excellent work on revolvers and levers. I don't have one of his 1911's but have considered one due to quality of his work on the guns he has done for me.

Comment

Dan Wesson hard to beat for the price point. I have one, it’s still custom made like some of the higher end ones. Kimber was the way to go until they started pass production. You’ll know the difference when you pick up a mass production 1911 and a custom. No rattle everything fits and shoots crisp. It’s hard to describe just shoots like a pistol should.

Comment

Springfield has been my favorite. Right price point for a good gun.

I have way more $$ in my Springfield that its worth but I "built it" lots of new 1911's come with what I added to mine.

But she's all me and shoots like a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                          Interesting on the mags. I've probably got 50-60 1911 mags in 7 and 8 round varieties with a cornucopia of butt plates and I've not had an issue with any of them in any of 1911s. When I go to the range, I just grab a small handful of whatever's on top of the pile and go with it. That said, I like the checkmates and the wilsons for fit and finish.
                          Surprised me, bottom broke off 2 fairly new Colt magazines. 1 during a match the other during practice. The Chip McCormicks I bought at the same time 25 years ago are still running strong. The Kimber 10mm was a little more interesting. Bought 5 factory magazines and none will reliable feed, I have read after awhile they break in and work. Any other brand works fine in that gun. Same 5 mags work fine in another Kimber. For carry I switched to Wilson in the 45acp and Cobra in the 10mm and life is good.

Comment

I'll chime in on the STI/Staccato debate. (my apologies to the OP. Feel free to pm me if I can answer any questions for you). The simple answers to the questions are this.....We changed the name primarily because STI is what the CDC decided to refer infectious diseases to infections. In a world of internet searching that caries a heavy weight the name change was necessary. We also needed to change direction from competition towards defensive. We had saturated the competition market and business was stagnant as a result. Our executive staff also recognized the 700x increase in market size for defensive and LEO sales. We have done a huge amount of work with LEO and have lots of Swat teams, US marshals, Texas Rangers etc using our guns now. That makes us all proud. We are currently something like 55% veteran employees. Lastly we as a company decided that we would focus significant energy in improving our quality. I say this with all my conviction.....Staccato built guns are way better than we ever did as STI. That's all part of the change over. Defensive/LEO guns have to run. With that we also increased our customer service staff to continue to provide the best customer service as possible. We also backed off on the lifetime warranty. Fixing 20year old competition guns that are way past putting out to pasture and have been modified from original conditions isnt something we will continue to do...for free. We still work on them, but it is no longer done with a blind eye to what was done to the guns. Anyone with an issue can contact me or our customer service. You will be pleased you did. Ive been with STI/Staccato for almost 23 years now and we are improving each and every day.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgunguy View Post
                              I'll chime in on the STI/Staccato debate. (my apologies to the OP. Feel free to pm me if I can answer any questions for you). The simple answers to the questions are this.....We changed the name primarily because STI is what the CDC decided to refer infectious diseases to infections. In a world of internet searching that caries a heavy weight the name change was necessary. We also needed to change direction from competition towards defensive. We had saturated the competition market and business was stagnant as a result. Our executive staff also recognized the 700x increase in market size for defensive and LEO sales. We have done a huge amount of work with LEO and have lots of Swat teams, US marshals, Texas Rangers etc using our guns now. That makes us all proud. We are currently something like 55% veteran employees. Lastly we as a company decided that we would focus significant energy in improving our quality. I say this with all my conviction.....Staccato built guns are way better than we ever did as STI. That's all part of the change over. Defensive/LEO guns have to run. With that we also increased our customer service staff to continue to provide the best customer service as possible. We also backed off on the lifetime warranty. Fixing 20year old competition guns that are way past putting out to pasture and have been modified from original conditions isnt something we will continue to do...for free. We still work on them, but it is no longer done with a blind eye to what was done to the guns. Anyone with an issue can contact me or our customer service. You will be pleased you did. Ive been with STI/Staccato for almost 23 years now and we are improving each and every day.
                              Thanks for the info!!

I think the change kinda caught a lot of folks in the competitive shooting community by surprise (at least it did me) especially after the news came out that dawson was going to be working with STI.

But can yall reintroduce the Trubor? I need a open gun that isn't $5000

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
                                They're not cheap, but check out MG Arms...www.mgarmsinc.com.

Kerry O'Day is an artist. Made in Houston, TX.

His 1911 is called the Wraithe. Its the lightest 1911 I've held.
                                this i will stand by 100% when you step in you are home.

Comment

Working...
                                X