Colorado County Buck of a Lifetime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado County Buck of a Lifetime

So I got some time today sitting her at dell children’s in Austin. My oldest daughter was Flown here last night from our local hospital with some abdominal issues. Luckily, this place is awesome with awesome staff. Surgeon was waiting at the door when we drove up and gave us the rundown. Hour and a half later and she wa about of successful surgery. Now we are in a room and getting up to speed so we can go home. Figured I would do a little write up about this years deer.

I’m not much of a hard core hunter unless there is something specific that catches my fancy. We let deer go every year hoping they get bigger and are around next season. Historically, that seems to never be the case. But on occasion, it does. Once every three or four years I figure a way to capitalize on our management practices. Not only mine but to their dismay, our neighbors good management also. But, we all get the same opportunities if we all put In the time. It’s just a matter of luck to Be in the same spot as a trophy deer sometimes

I had this particular deer on camera last year. He showed up the end of September and hung around through thanksgiving and then left. He was busted up on his left side so he really didn’t fit the target of anyone. Good thing. I didn’t kill a deer last season but no big deal.

This year started out dismal with not much hope of a specific deer. Had a nice 9 that I wanted to see In Person and when I did at 12 yards I decided he wasn’t the one. On sept 24 this giant showed up. He had spent the spring and summer about 1.5 miles away and many other hunters had the opportunity to get him on camera. A good buddy showed me the first pics of him about a mile away from where I killed him. I told him it was sure a good deer and wished him luck on getting him killed. He showed me another pic of him in bloody antler just as he shed his velvet. I told him jokingly that that was a great deer and if I saw him in the river bottom I was gonna go after him.

Well, a few days later on September 24 I got the first pic of him. Started putting things together with last years pics and realized he was the broken 8 from last season. I hunted him at a specific stand Where he was hitting but only rarely. I got 4 trail cam pics of him from sept 24-oct 18. We knew he was a solid deer but every pic he was by himself. So never really had another deer next to him to judge just how nice he was. Our local biologist hunts on our place and I told him that the deer was fair game if he put the time in and had the opportunity. He hunted him a bit but deer season is not hunting friendly to a wildlife biologist.

He was hitting a specific feeder about every 5 days it seemed. I missed him the weekend before. Pics showed him there on sat afternoon. I hunted sat morning and both Sunday hunts. Found that out when I pulled cards they following week.

I was invited to my old roommates ranch for a reunion weekend of hunting and fellowship that third weekend in October. We had a blast and I was able to harvest a great management 8 point. Headed home Sunday around noon and got home just in time to think about going to the stand. I was going to be out of pocket the next two weekends so I decided to take a chance and give it a try. Biologist came along and decided to hunt another stand about 1/2 mile away so I could hunt the tree stand at the creek. Had 4 bucks come in early to throw down corn. They mulled around about 15 minutes till the feeder spun. Then scattered. 3 came back. About 10 minutes later I hear a deer cough behind me. Figured it was the 4th that was making a loop. I didn’t bother turning around. Couple minutes go by and another cough. I spin to look and see this dude walking in. Panting and sweating wet.

He stopped At my first throw down at 18 yards but in my carelessness it was an area with to many branches and I couldn’t shoot through. He moved along a bit and stopped. Looking at the feeder 20 yards away or at the three little bucks at the other throw down 20 yards away. If he goes to the feeder I don’t have a shot. Well. One of the little pissants looked at him crooked and he didn’t like it. He swole up, dropped his head and walked into them. Those three scattered. I was in full draw about the time he hit the corn. Didn’t look to be stopping but figured he would stop at the licking branch. No big deal. It’s 20 yards. My arrow chirped on the rest and redirected his attention during full draw. He stopped and decided to grab a bite at 14 yards. As I was settling in he stepped forward with his onside leg and that’s about the time I hit the trigger sending an arrow through him at 14 yards away from my tree stand 26’ up a big river bottom elm tree.

He spun and bolted and 40 yards later I watched him die in mid stride and skidded to a stop in the creek. Everything happened so fast. I made some calls and texts and got down. Walked up to him and that’s when the shakes and trembling started. I’m fortunate that really doesn’t hit before or during the shot. But as long as it keeps happening I’ll keep hunting.

We get some pics and haul him to the skinning shed. After we were done we put the tape on him. The first time. Then the second time cause we thought we got it wrong. But our biologist scores over 100 deer a year. He was positive. The second score was 1/8” more than the original. We went with the original first time score. As it was the first official taping. I rough did it a third time on my own and sure enough he is just a big deer.

Main beams 23+
    Tines 10 and 11+
    Mass 34+
    Width 18 6/8

Live weight 175

Taped out at 153 and change. As a 9 point.
    A 150” typical 8. With the 3” burr on his right beam.

My biggest deer ever beating my 2012, 152 twelve point and my 2015, 142 eight point taken from this exact stand not but 2 yards from this kill spot.

Truly an exceptional trophy that I may never come close to seeing again. As a main frame 8 point it’s just that much better for me. Probably my favorite trophy is a big 8.
    Attached Files

Congrats on a special deer!

Comment

Congratulations on a great buck! Great recap as well.

Comment

Congrats on an outstanding buck. And prayers for quick healing for your daughter as well

Comment

Wow

Very nice Buck. Congrats

Comment

Hot dog!

Comment

Wow what a deer.

Congrats on a post oak trophy of a lifetime.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck of a deer! Congrats!

Comment

One hell of a bow kill. Congrats.

High risk, high reward!!

Comment

Man that is outstanding, congrats! You probably done went and shot gingib's buck, lol.

Another example of letting deer walk when the odds may not be in your favor. Understanding that killing a great one every 3-4 years is certainly better than shooting a mediocre deer every year because the neighbors will probably kill it anyways.
                    Last edited by rtp; 01-04-2021, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Great deer...congrats!

Comment

Great deer, Congrats!

Comment

That's a heck of a buck!!

Comment

WOW. Congratulations!!

Comment

Congrats on a great buck.

I've spend a whole bunch of days at Dell Children's, both with my little ones and in a work capacity. It is indeed an amazing place. Glad to hear your little girl is on the mend!

Comment

Working...
                              X