Comment

Mid 170s

Comment

I got 186 with 28in beams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He will bump 180.

Comment

His mass looks great on 1st pic and not as great on the others. My guess is 165

Comment

Finally caught up with him! Estimated 7.5yr old based on 3 years of history and teeth. Scored 175

He fooled all of us on width...we thought he was for sure 24”+ wide, but he went just under 22”. There’s an interesting question that might bring more discussion on another forum, but in this deer’s case he went from a typical 14pt as an estimated 5yr old (first year on the radar), to a typical 13pt at estimated 6yrs (and by pictures looked like he lost 8-10”), to a typical 12pt with a kicker at estimated 7yrs. We had solid food sources for this deer the last 2 years.
                I’m of the belief that his antler growth peaked at 5, so a few questions for discussion:
                1. What are others’ experiences regarding waiting to let South Texas deer “mature” to 6-7+, only to find that their antler size goes downhill after age 4 or 5? Is this more common than we think?
                2. Could the deer have been older than 5 when we first spotted him, so maybe he was 8-9yrs this year?
                3. Would anyone have gambled to see if he could have possibly made it another year?

Note: this is the best buck I’ve ever taken
                Attached Files
                Last edited by DimmitCo; 01-09-2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
                  Finally caught up with him! Estimated 7.5yr old based on 3 years of history and teeth.
                  He fooled all of us on width...we thought he was for sure 24”+ wide, but he went just under 22”. There’s an interesting question that might bring more discussion on another forum, but in this deer’s case he went from a typical 14pt as an estimated 5yr old (first year on the radar), to a typical 13pt at estimated 6yrs (and by pictures looked like he lost 8-10”), to a typical 12pt with a kicker at estimated 7yrs. We had solid food sources for this deer the last 2 years.
                  I’m of the belief that his antler growth peaked at 5, so a few questions for discussion:
                  1. What are others’ experiences regarding waiting to let South Texas deer “mature” to 6-7+, only to find that their antler size goes downhill after age 4 or 5? Is this more common than we think?
                  2. Could the deer have been older than 5 when we first spotted him, so maybe he was 8-9yrs this year?
                  3. Would anyone have gambled to see if he could have possibly made it another year?

Note: this is the best buck I’ve ever taken
                  What did he score? Congrats!

Comment

Upper 60s low 70s? My wife killed one similar last year, hers was 24” wide a little taller I think and he finished out at 176. I also think he was much bigger last year.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                      What did he score? Congrats!
                      Thanks! Edited to add 175

Comment

First off congrats on a fine buck. Next what does this bad boy score. As far as age goes, I would have his teeth cementum aged to find out what he is. In my opinion I think we have a tendency to under age deer, my guess is this buck is older than you may think.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          Upper 60s low 70s? My wife killed one similar last year, hers was 24” wide a little taller I think and he finished out at 176. I also think he was much bigger last year.
                          175. His tines curl in which adds a little more length than it appears in the pictures.

Comment

Congrats on a solid mature deer. I will not be surprised if you get him clinically aged that the results show much older than your guess.

Going to make a beautiful mount.

Got to ask, why black out your face on the LDP's? No biggie, Just curious is all.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
                              175. His tines curl in which adds a little more length than it appears in the pictures.
                              Congrats. Hell of a deer.

Comment

Did you have to use the dog to track him?

Comment

Working...
                                X