X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
    There are three things I have become completely convinced on about pigs:

(1) They are smarter than deer by far.

(2) They have better ears/hearing than deer by far.

(3) They have better noses, and pick up scent/smells better than deer by far.

And, for a #4 - I am about 90% convinced, that pigs eyesight is better than deer (by far) at distances of around 40 yards & closer.

Rick
    I don't agree with #1 per se. That is too subjective to ascertain. I have seen dumb deer and dumb hogs and vice versa.

I dont fully agree with #2 either... it depends on the noises. I have walked into a group of hogs, stomping in and they don't care.

#3 I can get on board... I think though this is why you think they are smarter... I just think they follow thier nose better.

#4 I disagree.

But honestly, I think it boils down to the way you hunt them likely skews how smart you think they are. Population size for your area makea a big difference too. I have one area where the dear are easier... and one area where the hogs are easier...

Comment

I agree with you on #1 and #3. I don't know about #2 but it wouldn't surprise me.

Google says pigs are the 5th most intelligent animal
      Last edited by TxAg; 12-28-2019, 09:28 AM.

Comment

# 1 . Lots of factors to this one such as pressure and age. I’ve had spikes walk right up to me in the woods just to see what I was and I’ve also had young pigs come running to me within a few feet while I was pouring corn on the ground. Hell I’ve even shot pigs at a feeder with my truck running just a few yards away while checking cameras.
        But I do believe a big mature boar that has been hunted is one of the absolute smartest animals in the woods !

#2. I disagree with, but in or around a feeder or anywhere they have been pressured they are on high alert it’s hard to get away with anything.

#3. I absolutely agree with!! Best **** nose there is especially once they mature and Learn to use it!!

#4. I disagree with.
        I do however believe they can pick up on movement very well!
        I’ve shot hogs within 4-5 yards of me while sitting on the ground but I was able to get drawn while they walked behind cover and my movement was concealed . The biggest hog I’ve ever chased with a bow was 284# and had him at 10 yrds several times and he would stare me down but never spook. But as soon as I moved an inch he was gone. My brother eventually killed him with a rifle

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

But honestly, I think it boils down to the way you hunt them likely skews how smart you think they are. Population size for your area makea a big difference too. I have one area where the dear are easier... and one area where the hogs are easier...
          I agree completely on this. Competition for food is a huge factor.
          Years like this when there is plenty of food available high population can still be tough to hunt.
          On my lease we have plenty of each but we aren't getting much activity at feeders this year because of all the natural forage.
          When there are 30 pigs in a group and they are hitting feeders hard they tend to be less wary.

Gary

Comment

I am of the opinion that hogs see better than many realize - especially movement. A couple weeks ago I stood up in my tripod to stretch, turned around and saw hogs coming across the pasture 75 yards away. (Upwind) they stopped when I stood up, stared for a second or two then ran back the direction they came. I’m not saying they see as well as deer but the gap is not that big. One reason hogs don’t see us as well is because their eyes are so low to the ground and they are mostly looking directly in front of them. I don’t think their peripheral vision is anywhere as good as a deer

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
              LOL - Between the restrictions placed on me by the MIL, and my own personal restrictions, it makes it tough to kill a lot of critters, but it's never boring.

Rick

You and I are in a similar boat. I’m grateful for my little place to hunt but it comes with restrictions. Once I win the lottery I’ll have a place for the tbh crew to hang out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
                You and I are in a similar boat. I’m grateful for my little place to hunt but it comes with restrictions. Once I win the lottery I’ll have a place for the tbh crew to hang out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                The MIL won't let us shoot the doe. I know others in the family ignore her rule, but I comply.

My own personal restrictions are - I won't shoot an immature buck, and it has to be at least an 8 point outside it's ears, plus right now I am only after mature boar with large tusk.

If not for that, it would be pure carnage almost every time I get out there.

Rick

Comment

All but #4 in my experience. I can have a group of pigs below me and still draw without worrying about it. More than one deer and it gets pretty sporty. I do think they can hear better but they have trouble hearing too much over their own noise. They fall in to the smartest mammals list at #4. They for sure smell better and the pressured pigs play the wind better. I have a place that I can’t kill a pig because they circle the entire area to catch wind.

Comment

Depending on the study you read, you will see anywhere from 5th most intelligent to 7th most intelligent.

A quote from one such study:

"Pigs are actually considered the fifth-most intelligent animal in the world—even more intelligent than dogs—and are capable of playing video games with more focus and success than chimps!

They also have excellent object-location memory. If they find grub in one spot, they’ll remember to look there next time. Pigs possess a sophisticated sense of direction too. They can find their way home from huge distances away.

Just last year, a five-month-old pig named Amy was dubbed the “top dog” in her canine agility class."

Rick

Comment

And they are delicious too!!!

Gary

Comment

Just because they are smart doesn't make them harder to hunt. In fact, IMO, it makes em more predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          Just because they are smart doesn't make them harder to hunt. In fact, IMO, it makes em more predictable.
                          Never thought of it that way but I think your right!

Comment

I agree with most of it except the sight and hearing. I think the extra noise that pigs inherently produce allows hunters to be louder than with deer. I do believe they can see very well at whatever they are looking directly at, but less peripheral. Deer I think are opposite, great peripheral but not the best “eyesight”.
                            From what I’ve noticed about pigs is that if anything is out of place to them, they take off and won’t be seen again. Sometimes I think deer are too curious or less skiddish.

Comment

Originally posted by taylormade820 View Post
                              Yeah I agree on those but not the sight part at least in my experience.
                              same here, have walked up pretty close to them before, unintentionally.
                              Also, at least in my experience as well, they are rarely seen in the daylight, making them almost unhuntable on my part.

Comment

Agree. They know when we get to came I believe!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X