No announcement yet.

Snow Skiing -Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado ski reports got hammered the past weekend. Most areas picked up 2'-3' of snow. Flying out Christmas day hoping for good weather while traveling, once there bring it on again!

Comment

we will be in Copper Mtn 1st week in Feb. I can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
        Red River is a much more laid back family mountain.

It's my favorite place now. I used to be all about the mega resorts with tons of terrain but now I hate lift lines and crowds.
        False Statement. No snow there. No skiing allowed. Stay Away

Comment

We will be at Keystone 12/31-1/5. They got 30” in the past week. Unfortunately the avalanche risk is high. One report I read said it’s the highest it has been in 50 years

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            Skip the skiing and rent snowmobiles and a guide. Tell them you want to stay off the trails. It will be the most fun you will ever have in the snow. Nothing like launch off a ridge into 6' of powder and riding through snow like you are on a jet ski. Also doesn't hurt when you fall off.
            Headed to Estes after Christmas and recs?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Headed to Winter park in March. I haven’t been there since 02. We have been skiing Beaver Creek and Vail the last few years. Cant wait to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, the mountains did just get hammered. They are starting to talk about another storm coming in for Christmas day . Keep weather delays in your plans just in case.
                Skiing will be great but avalanche danger is already getting high and an early death.
                Be mindful if you plan to snow machine anywhere and stay in bounds at the ski area.
                You'll need a long track machine for the snow in Colorado, or Wyoming.

You all going up for Christmas time should have great conditions. Might get cold so be prepared for that.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  Yes, the mountains did just get hammered. They are starting to talk about another storm coming in for Christmas day . Keep weather delays in your plans just in case.
                  Skiing will be great but avalanche danger is already getting high and an early death.
                  Be mindful if you plan to snow machine anywhere and stay in bounds at the ski area.
                  You'll need a long track machine for the snow in Colorado, or Wyoming.

You all going up for Christmas time should have great conditions. Might get cold so be prepared for that.

Thanks for the information. I am a novice skier so plan to stay to the fairly maintained runs. I have been watching the weather models closely on the potential Christmas Day storm. Hope it hold off until the day after Christmas so it doesn't effect our travel. What weather forecasting sources have you heard about the potential Christmas weather?

Comment

Several areas open now and more about to be. A nice dumping next week or so starting today.
                    Should be a great year for skiing.
                    Be mindful of the Traction Law when you go up.
                    What is the criteria for chains required? I have 4x4 with AT tires, but considering picking up a set of chains just in case.

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
                    Thanks for the information. I am a novice skier so plan to stay to the fairly maintained runs. I have been watching the weather models closely on the potential Christmas Day storm. Hope it hold off until the day after Christmas so it doesn't effect our travel. What weather forecasting sources have you heard about the potential Christmas weather?
                    GFS weather model has a storm at that time frame, but the gfs also hasn’t been very reliable this winter

Comment

I have noticed that the GFS hasn’t been too good in the medium to long range this year. The euro appears to show a western trough developing around this time too. We shall see

Comment

You'll need the special snow tires or 4 wheel drive, no chains required for non commercial vehicles. Chains could be used if you don't have the right tires or 4 wheel drive. They want M/S tires on non 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Part of our local tv up here on cable are Denver channels so we get their news and weather. The networks have good forecasters for the most part it seems. They are talking about a system brewing so to speak.

An avalanche within the boundary but in a closed area today at Steamboat. Skiers just went through an unmarked area and triggered a slide from below it.

Comment

Man I've been through some crazy stuff in my snowboarding career. The worst coming over Rabbit Ears Pass east of Steamboat. We were the last vehicle they let through. That was the lifted Chevy 2500 I sunk at Dead Mans hole. Lol. 20 mph for 6 hours to get to Silverton.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

You'll need the special snow tires or 4 wheel drive, no chains required for non commercial vehicles. Chains could be used if you don't have the right tires or 4 wheel drive. They want M/S tires on non 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Part of our local tv up here on cable are Denver channels so we get their news and weather. The networks have good forecasters for the most part it seems. They are talking about a system brewing so to speak.

An avalanche within the boundary but in a closed area today at Steamboat. Skiers just went through an unmarked area and triggered a slide from below it.
                            So there is actually 2 laws. Traction law and chain law, https://www.google.com/amp/s/kdvr.co...is-season/amp/.

Sounds like chain law is pretty uncommon. Which is good, because according to ford, my f150 isn’t approved for chains. I may look at s class cables or autosocks, and just return them if I don’t use them

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
                              Headed to Wolf Creek December 29th through January 2

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                              We'll be at Wolf Creek Dec 31-Jan 5!

Comment

First day of the season heading to Keystone.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X