Discussion on Lead in Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"CA went lead free from July 1 this year"

Sadly that's enough for a lot of folks on here to check out and not bother believing lead can be dangerous to anything or anyone...heck it's probably enough for some folks to start adding lead powder to their coffee to virtue signal how conservative they are. lol

I blast lead at the range all day but I went lead free for hunting, it's pretty much zero downside with potential to prevent harm so there's no compelling reason not to. Cost is irrelavent, anyone who can afford to hunt can afford to pay a little more for their hunting ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post

Sadly that's enough for a lot of folks on here to check out and not bother believing lead can be dangerous to anything or anyone...heck it's probably enough for some folks to start adding lead powder to their coffee to virtue signal how conservative they are. lol

I blast lead at the range all day but I went lead free for hunting, it's pretty much zero downside with potential to prevent harm so there's no compelling reason not to. Cost is irrelavent, anyone who can afford to hunt can afford to pay a little more for their hunting ammo.
      I almost included that as a caveat in the original post but didn't want to strike an argumentative tone. For sure virtue signalling permeates every section of american life on both sides of the aisle now. When I lived in The Woodlands one of my neighbors that was as conservative as anyone I have ever met, was a hunter, and all around good dude had a 4x4 truck and a prius he commuted with. Some of the folks that came to visit me at my house asked how it was living next to a liberal prius driving Hillary supporter. True story.

That being said, I think CA might have went to far (imagine that) I would want to see research that includes quality bonded bullets.

Comment

You know, you could have posted what you posted without being so condescending to others. I've read you posts since you joined and most of what you say, I recall agreeing with a lot of what you post, but your smart arse attitude sure diminishes the impact of what you post...

Bossman crackin' down on that sort of stuff to bring things back in line a little here... you might want to ease up a bit.

Comment

If I have the privilege to eat enough wild game to die from lead poisoning, I’ll die a happy man.

Comment

Who can’t use a little lead in their pencil ?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              You know, you could have posted what you posted without being so condescending to others. I've read you posts since you joined and most of what you say, I recall agreeing with a lot of what you post, but your smart arse attitude sure diminishes the impact of what you post...

Bossman crackin' down on that sort of stuff to bring things back in line a little here... you might want to ease up a bit.
              It was meant to be humorous but I can see how it might not have come across that way. I try to include a bunch of these to hopefully make it clear I was teasing but failed that time..

But yeah, I don't agree OP, CA does tend to go wayyyy too far I don't think lead should be banned but I do think that the decision to not use it for hunting is the right one.

Comment

I run a small metal detector over any meat that I think may contain bullet fragments or pellets. Nothing worse than biting into steel shot.

Comment

The only issue is that any animal that you shoot may have been shot by another hunter. How do you know for sure?

Comment

Sounds to me like OP needs a little more lead in his pencil, posting junk from california...

Comment

Non issue!!! Please move on.

Comment

True story that matches what was typed above.

Killed a medium sized hog was cutting up one of the back hams to make sausage. As I was putting pieces of the meat in stainless pan I hear "ding" in the pan. I start looking moving the meat around and a small all lead 22lr bullet rolls around at the bottom.

This was all headed to the grinder in about 30 seconds so yea watch what you eat.

I had shot the pig with a .270 win behind the shoulder. I got to looking at the ham and you could see some scar tissue where I cut into the ham and exposed the old bullet.

I would assume someone had shot the pig in the rear with a 22 lr at some time in the past.

Comment

The sugar in my tea and the preservatives in my whataburger will kill me long before a little lead from the deer I shot...

Comment

To me it's a non issue.

Pheasant hunting last month and there was a pellet in one of the pheasants we were eating. I have pheasant in my freezer now that was shot with lead shot. I think next time I may go steel or bismuth!
                            You'll appreciate biting on the lead after you bite down on a steel pellet.

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                              Sounds to me like OP needs a little more lead in his pencil, posting junk from california...

O, the irony! Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff995 View Post
                                If I have the privilege to eat enough wild game to die from lead poisoning, I’ll die a happy man.
                                AMEN to that!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X