Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C 25 Mowdy

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
    We met the owner of mowdy during a boat show in the summer, cool guy and great boats but we went with a majek instead. How skinny can you get up in that thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So far what I have tried is in a foot of water with fairly soft bottom, didn't even dig in. Jack plate was on 3, Idle forward a bit, turn left, & hit the throttle. My eyes had to be as big a saucers the 1st time I tried it.

Comment

2016 JVX Carolina Skiff with 70 hp suzuki i won on a bet this year. Rough as hell in chop and you WILL get wet. Other than that a really super skinny good boat.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post

Tell me about that Spey rod. Good, bad....worth a try?

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
          So far what I have tried is in a foot of water with fairly soft bottom, didn't even dig in. Jack plate was on 3, Idle forward a bit, turn left, & hit the throttle. My eyes had to be as big a saucers the 1st time I tried it.

Nice, we’ve only taken our majek in the same as you. We’ve ran on dang near wet sand but we get up in a foot of water easy, would take it skinnier and try it but she’s to new to do that right now. I need to get some pics up of the new boat

Comment

I run a JH Performance B240. There has a been a few times I wish it ran a little shallower but for the most part it's a great boat for what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
              Nice, we’ve only taken our majek in the same as you. We’ve ran on dang near wet sand but we get up in a foot of water easy, would take it skinnier and try it but she’s to new to do that right now. I need to get some pics up of the new boat

I have run in some 7" deep areas but have not been brave enough to go any shallower. It is advertised to run in 5". Also can be run with jack plate all the way up w/o overheating, havn't seen the need for that yet either.
              I do know it will handle some nasty rough stuff, got hung out in south San Antonio bay when a nasty quick front hit on Oct. 22nd. Thought for sure we were done. 5 to 7 footers. Nowhere to hide, boat would bottom out in shallow water, would have flipped had I tried to turn around. Craziest d*** thing I have been through. Never would have believed the water could change that fast.

Comment

Tell me about that Spey rod. Good, bad....worth a try?
                It's wonderful for fighting fish - bigger fish that pull yards of line.

Blank is on left is a 10wt TL Johnson handcrafted saltwater series fly blank. The blank far right, is his 8 wt series.

TL's shop is in Northern Colorado where he builds them by hand. TL used to work for United Composites fishing rods, the folks who started the fiberglass\graphite rods now found in many offshore rods. They developed the scrim technology now found in many of the high end offshore blanks made - like CALSTAR, using a blend of fiberglass and graphite in blank's scrim adding strength with lower weights over standard fiberglass. And standard graphite, can become too brittle to be of any value, when handled in rougher conditions and or dealing with saltwater fish. The saltwater series blanks, are thicker in the lower section to add lift and strength to the blank versus a standard fly blank. There is a difference between a 10 wt normal blank versus 10wt saltwater series blank. Get a big fish in close alone, some of the regular blanks may explode if they get too much of an arc trying to land big hard fighting fish, up close. That critical last 10 yards and in toward the angler.

I like fishing them both. Lot's of power, the 10 wt will flat out work 11 to 12 wt lines and cast in a gale. It will blast casts literally 50 yards easily with a weight forward line - with next to nothing in false cast effort to get there. The spey butt allows you to lay that butt against your wrist for extra leverage going one hand, in traditional fly rod mode and it also allows you to bring another hand into play, for more leverage on the blank with control and power. With a saltwater series fly blank, it's nice to get more leverage without worry of the blank getting over stressed.

My personal fly rod builds and they are tough sticks. It's nice to anchor that butt into the body on a run and it gives you a good spot to grab the blank at the butt, if you need to extend, with a hand below the fly reel.

Think jackfish, bullred or tarpon on the fly, as you battle.....the spey butt comes into play big time, when all you can do is hang on, and let the fish pull drag. My 10wt reel has 600 yards of backing on it - Lamson, with disc drag system. The Lamson 8 wt has around 400 yards of backing. Both are capable of dealing with fish that my regular baitcasters have no line capacity to cover.
                Last edited by AtTheWall; 11-08-2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4287.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	24518292
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4288.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	24518293

This is the new sled, 2017 majek m2 illusion. 22 and a half foot with a 200 hp high output evinrude g2. She gets skinny and goes offshore, we’ve been out 15 miles to the rigs for some snapper slapping and anything else that would bite.

Comment

Good looking boat Jmsck12!

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      Heard lots of tales but never seen one that could do it yet.
                      You can spin a baby cat all day, and really good redfish diver can also.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill's Unlimited View Post
                        K&J Marine in Spring on FM2920
                        281-350-1950
                        Glenn Vann is the owner. Tell him I said hello

I just had them put LED cubes on both sides of the cooler, added mount for Yeti tiedown on it too. Also had them put a back rest on the leaning post

I had it down in Matagorda last weekend, it did well but we weren't successful in the catching department

Bringing this up from the dead. How is that cooler rack working out for you? Im buying that flats cat Friday. How is the light holding up? did they install the rack and light bar?

Comment

We use a 17' Maverick with a 70hp Yamaha with the power steering.

Comment

I had a shallow sport and have a 23 shoalwater now. Love the shoalwater. Probably fixing to sell it and get a new one with a 300 on it.

Comment

My boat thinks it’s a saltwater boat!
                              Attached Files

Comment

I want to buy my first boat and I’m trying to figure out where to go to try different boats to find one I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X