Do you give to beggars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
    Got hit up outside the Taco Casa a few months ago by a woman needing money just to get here kids something to eat. They were all in the car. Told her to go in and order and I would pay....told me they didn't eat Mexican food....
    Should of told her don't worry it's not Mexican food... Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
      Lived in Austin for 32 years of my life and saw a lot of beggars. I have seen many walking from a street corner and get into a car hidden behind a building, and the car was nicer than the vehicle I drive. some truly are homeless but many are not. Personally i will NEVER give them a penny. McDonalds is always hiring and so are many other stores. if you want a job bad enough you can find one!!!
      Saw the same in Houston, beggars walking to really nice cars
      News crew shadowed them to a nice home inside the loop
      I do some times hand out a small meal coupon or gift cards
      Cash never

Comment

I stopped giving money, but I never eat all of my lunch so I get a to go box everyday and hand it to a homeless person. Better than wasted food going in the trash.

Comment

A number of years ago, a local radio station had a guy on from the Star of Hope or something similar, and he said that, if you really care about the homeless, you will give to organizations like his that get them food, shelter, medical and psychological treatment, and help them get off alcohol and drugs. If you give money to them directly, you are keeping them where they are and fostering the very things that got them there. This is just my opinion, and it's not meant to offend, but maybe to make you think deeply about it, when you give money to a panhandler, you might as well just admit that you are doing it to make yourself feel better, rather than to really help the person that you are giving the money to. I give to the Salvation Army, and they have a track record for helping those in need. My wife's aunt is a prime example. She now lives a nice normal life after having been taken off the street by them. IMHO, giving them money directly is the easy thing to do, but not the best thing for them.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
            I'm just gonna drink Tectate until that thing passes.
            Dos Equis for me

Comment

Nope...you are an enabler by giving them money directly. If you care, give to a homeless shelter.

Comment

Usually offer them $10 for 10 push-ups. (this of course dependent on their physical appearance) Most decline prior to even trying

Comment

haven't we been down this similar thread before ???

Comment

Funny!

Comment

Years ago I was with my mom and my sister eating at a Taco Bell after running some errands. When we pulled in the parking lot there was a man standing on the corner asking for change or food. We went in and ordered, and about 5 minutes later the man came in and walked up to the counter to order. I think he ordered a $0.89 burrito or something and as he was trying to count his change he dropped some and it rolled under the counter. He was on his hands and knees trying to get the change that had rolled under the counter. He kept apologizing to the people in line, and we noticed that he started crying. I assume from being embarrassed. Fortunately the woman behind him paid for his food. He thanked her numerous times and walked over to a table, sat down, bowed his head and said a prayer. Before we left we ordered some more food and walked over and gave it to him along with $10. He thanked us and said god bless with tears running down his face. After we got done we waited in the car to see where he would go when he left. He walked across the street under the overpass where he had a dog on a leash. He sat down next to a sleeping bag and shared some of the food we gave him with the dog. I do not know his story or how he wound up in his situation, but after seeing him trying to pay for his food we truly felt sorry for him. I normally never give to beggars but felt like this instance it was the right thing to do.
                      Last edited by LarryP_1989; 01-24-2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

The ones with the family's are fake. Lets just say I had spare time one day to wait for them to leave. Sickening.

Comment

I won’t give to the folks on the street! Too many of them are just looking for booze and drug money.

I will give to organizations who will help folks that need it and seek it!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I do not and have not. I prefer to give my money to organizations who provide assistance to those really in need.

I saw some gypsies a while back on a street corner. One guy was holding a sign asking for money and he had a cell phone.

Comment

Just don't stray out to far with the Corona jokes.....

Comment

It's a case by case decision for me. It's generally a no. But I have a soft spot for the elderly. They may be grifters too, but I give it with a good heart. What they do with it is on them.

Comment

Working...
                                X