No announcement yet.

Do you give to beggars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lived in Austin for 32 years of my life and saw a lot of beggars. I have seen many walking from a street corner and get into a car hidden behind a building, and the car was nicer than the vehicle I drive. some truly are homeless but many are not. Personally i will NEVER give them a penny. McDonalds is always hiring and so are many other stores. if you want a job bad enough you can find one!!!

Comment

Nope. I'm lucky enough and have worked hard over the years to be doing well for myself. I will tip generously to a waiter or waitress who is nice, polite and works hard. I'm not giving anyone money who is just begging for it and not willing to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
        They’re Gypsies. Probably Romanian. Don’t give them a dime.
        The gypsies are slick. We were on our way to an Astros game last year. Stopped at an atm in The Woodlands and a woman is at the intersection (I believe she had a kid with her). Later that night we come out of the game and the same woman is sitting outside the exit. Probably wouldn't have noticed but she was very distinct looking.

Comment

I don't judge people and if they need help and ask I will help if I can. God has blessed me with a great life so I feel that he may want to bless others as I can. If they use it for something other than to help themselves then that's on them, but I have done my part. I have never been homeless but have known several that was and got their life back together and always started with a generous soul helping them.

Comment

I do not and I will not. Some are aggressive and some aren't. Im sure that some are truly down on hard times and some are not. I absolutely cannot stand someone on a street corner asking for money. It drives me crazy. They will continue to ask for $ as long as people keep giving them $.
            Now, I will offer food if Im leaving a rest and have leftovers.
            I personally watched a guy begging near Bucees in Temple one day. I was across 35 eating at Wendys and he walked in and pulled out a wad of $ like you wouldn't believe. He had at least $1000 and Im low balling that. He got food and then walked back across to Bucees and got in his car and left. It is this sort of bad apple that ****** me off and the reason that I will not give to any beggar

Comment

Generally no, but I do on occasion. Had one guy I saw daily who actually had a list on his sign. Toiletries etc. I bought a couple things as did others I assume. Next week his list was a white or Asian lady [emoji2359]. Started with wanting a wife but then discussed to be ready for the invasion and ended illegibly. Never decided for sure if I thought it was all a scam or he really had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of factors and issues with panhandlers and homeless. Many, many are either drug/alcohol addicts and/or have severe mental issues. Most folks don't want to live this way i believe and yes some scammers as well.

"there but for the grace of God go I..." have some compassion for your fellow man and appreciate what you have been given, the world will be a better place for it!

Comment

I won't give money. I have put gasoline in vehicles and have bought food. The story is normally that they don't have enough money for gas and they are trying to get to "some place". I normally offer to fill their car up. Most decline. Got hit up outside the Taco Casa a few months ago by a woman needing money just to get here kids something to eat. They were all in the car. Told her to go in and order and I would pay....told me they didn't eat Mexican food....

Best one I have heard was the lady that hit me up in Wal-Mart needing money for formula and diapers. Told her to follow me and we'll go get the stuff you need....again she declined.

One of my better feel good moments was also in Wal-Mart. I was checking out and there was a very young black girl with an infant checking out in front of me with nothing but baby supplies, milk, eggs, and meat. I over heard the cashier tell her that her WIC card was declined for that amount. She left diapers, the milk and something else. She got her bags and walked out. I quickly paid for all the stuff and chased her down in the parking lot and gave them to her. She was getting in piece of crap car and I think I scared he crap out of her. Got some tears and hug in return.
                  Last edited by 175gr7.62; 01-24-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I would rather give to someone that doesn't ask for it.

Comment

On several occasions I'd see the same guy begging during the day with various cardboard signs held up around town. Then see the same guy pull up to the same happy hour spot I was at in his pickup.

Comment

We were in Corpus for 4 days back in September and the first night after driving the beach on PINS we were pretty hungry so we decided to hit up the original whataburger just to say we did it. Lol. The homeless were all over Shoreline Blvd and at least 4 of them hanging out at whataburger. We were walking out and one of them was trying to sell me a picture frame or a random bike chain.

Comment

Nope.

When I was a firefighter in Atlanta we would always get approached by bums if we were walking around downtown. When they walked up, before they could speak I'd say "Lemme hold a dolla.". I usually got an "Awe man." in return.

Comment

Not with the corona virus going around

Comment

Had a guy last year with a "work for food sign". I told him to hop in the truck and I'd pay him $150 to work for 8 hours sweeping out houses and picking up trash around a subdivision I'm building.
                              He said "No thanks, I've got a bad back.". I told him I had a bad back too.

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
                                Not with the corona virus going around
                                I'm just gonna drink Tectate until that thing passes.

Comment

Working...
                                X