• Show
Clear All

That is a stud bro! Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Impressive! Congrats to your buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowslinger View Post
        Hammer down. Fellow lease member got a good en yesterday evening.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
        Heck yeah!

Comment

Yes Sir!!!!!

And this, gentlemen is why we choose to hunt this area!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I gut shot a 200-250 lb. bear on Tuesday. First time bear hunting, didn't calm my nerves and rushed the shot. We tracked that night for about 30 yards and marked the last little bit of blood we found and backed out. A buddy hunted the morning, I was frustrated at myself and did not. Waited for a dog tracker that came from McAlister and we picked up the trail around 10:30am. After about a half a mile the dog hit water and his actions changed, like he was on a different trail. Tried to the trail for a little longer with no luck. We tracked overall for about a mile and several hours, no recovery.

Disappointed in myself to say the least and my confidence is a bit down at the moment. Need to get a doe in and harvest it to build it back up a bit. Bear was only 17 yards from me, perfectly broadside. A dream shot, but I let my nerves\excitement get the better of me. Need to be more patient and make sure may aim is true. I hate wounding an animal and not making a recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by mww982 View Post
              I gut shot a 200-250 lb. bear on Tuesday. First time bear hunting, didn't calm my nerves and rushed the shot. We tracked that night for about 30 yards and marked the last little bit of blood we found and backed out. A buddy hunted the morning, I was frustrated at myself and did not. Waited for a dog tracker that came from McAlister and we picked up the trail around 10:30am. After about a half a mile the dog hit water and his actions changed, like he was on a different trail. Tried to the trail for a little longer with no luck. We tracked overall for about a mile and several hours, no recovery.

Disappointed in myself to say the least and my confidence is a bit down at the moment. Need to get a doe in and harvest it to build it back up a bit. Bear was only 17 yards from me, perfectly broadside. A dream shot, but I let my nerves\excitement get the better of me. Need to be more patient and make sure may aim is true. I hate wounding an animal and not making a recovery.

It takes a respectable hunter to admit to such a mistake. Sorry you couldn’t recover.

Comment

Originally posted by caseys95m3 View Post
                It takes a respectable hunter to admit to such a mistake. Sorry you couldn’t recover.

Thank you

Comment

Arrowslinger did not tell the rest of the story. Sunday I tangled with a feeder winch that broke and unwound on my left hand. Only one broken bone but will be in a cast for at least 4 weeks, no bow shooting till then. Looks like I may have to dust off the MLer.

Comment

What a giant! Love seeing this! Congrats to your buddy! Makes me even more anxious to get back out next weekend and keeping fingers crossed for the lower temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
                      Arrowslinger did not tell the rest of the story. Sunday I tangled with a feeder winch that broke and unwound on my left hand. Only one broken bone but will be in a cast for at least 4 weeks, no bow shooting till then. Looks like I may have to dust off the MLer.
                      That sounds terrible! Very sorry to hear that happened. Sounds like a good excuse to shoot a giant this yr with your muzzleloader. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you, I'm sure you will be back at it soon!

Second thought... I have two large deer feeders to put up using worm gear winches and a hex drive bit, planning on running chains between two trees with pulley in center. In the back of my mind Ive been worrying what could happen if there was a failure at some point and this makes me second guess even more if this strategy is best
                      Last edited by mtnbucks26; 10-08-2018, 10:34 PM.

Comment

HEY NOW!

160 what?

Comment

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post

I separated my shoulder this few weeks ago. Had to switch to a crossbow for the year. Can you hunt with on of those. They have a crank mechanism to pull back or a hook it around the tree to a belt loop on each side and take off running to pull it back. I have not looked at the regs about them up there yet either.

Comment

Arrowslinger, congrats to your leasemate! Was wondering what the scenario was when he shot him. Was it on hand corn, feeder, acorns, trail. Just curious because we are hunting north of you and have buddies hunting in your area. We haven't seen anything mature yet on feeders or hand corn. And that buck is a stud!

On the winch up feeders, those things are widow makers. I've been hit under the chin and once on the elbow, and we've had the cable break as soon as the full feeder reached the top and fall and crush the mechanism. Done with those for sure.

Comment

I was fortunate to get to hunt in Choctaw County for 10 or so years. After my wife's uncle passed the son that got that 1100 acres immediately leased it out. That land was loaded with deer and turkeys and I miss hunting up there. Following this thread brings back memories of going up there. The week of muzzleloader season was usually the week to be up there. Bucks were busy then. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Split_Brow View Post
                                Arrowslinger, congrats to your leasemate! Was wondering what the scenario was when he shot him. Was it on hand corn, feeder, acorns, trail. Just curious because we are hunting north of you and have buddies hunting in your area. We haven't seen anything mature yet on feeders or hand corn. And that buck is a stud!

On the winch up feeders, those things are widow makers. I've been hit under the chin and once on the elbow, and we've had the cable break as soon as the full feeder reached the top and fall and crush the mechanism. Done with those for sure.
                                He had him on camera in a area he had minerals out, he hadn't checked that camera in a month. He was living in there lots of daytime pictures. The stand he had hung wasnt good for the wind he had so he grabbed his climber and tried to play the wind best he could. He come by at last light, after he shot him he went to look for him and he jumped him up. So Kevin went to camp and waited a couple hours when he was driving back out to look he was piled up in the main road.

Comment

Working...
                                X