No announcement yet.

Deer story that turned into a project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There’s nothing better than targeting an ol Wiley buck! Great job on the restoration.

Comment

Fantastic job!

What did you use on the whitener and how long did you let it sit?

Comment

Fantastic job. I need to do something similar, can I ask what stain that is (can't see the label well)?

Comment

Awesome write up! Thanks for sharing. Even better job on the taxi work! Looks great

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Great project with a beautiful outcome. Loved that your boy was involved, too.

Comment

I remember seeing those game cam pics! Well done on the resto. Looks like Bryce has a great teacher too! Sad to find them dead, but closure for sure and made a great euro!

Comment

Turned out really nice. You got a trophy and didn't have to burn a tag.

Comment

Looks good. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mooney_ag View Post
                      Fantastic job!

What did you use on the whitener and how long did you let it sit?

I boiled the head in water mixed with OxiClean.

Then I soaked head (including antlers) in OxiClean and water for 24 hrs

Then I boiled in water and OxiClean one more time and pressure washed.

I then let soak in water and OxiClean for a few more hours.

For whitening- I used Salon Care 40 creme. I mixed in Ion bright white powder lightner to thicken. I wrapped the antlers with plastic wrap and brushed the paste mix generously. I let sit for 24 hours and then rinsed off. I repeated this process 2 more times but only let it sit about 8-10 hrs the last 2 times each. The last time I even let it sit out in the sun with the mix pasted on.

After the last rinse, I brushed a coat of Mop&Glo to give it a shine.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                        Fantastic job. I need to do something similar, can I ask what stain that is (can't see the label well)?

I took a better picture of the can for you. “Early American” is the color. I purchased it at Home Depot. I practiced on a few sheds to see how it would turn out and because I had never done this before.

TIP****- Do not just paint brush it on!!!!! It will be way too dark. The method I found that works best is to use a rag/wash towel and rub it in. That’s also how I was able to leave those ivory tips. It was pretty cool to see how it had a natural look. I did have to use a brush around the bases because it was too difficult to rub that in with a rag. I was just very careful not to go overboard on the amount of stain and was dabbing a lot off the brush as I went. I also wrapped the skull with plastic wrap and put electrical tape just under the burrs.

Comment

Looks really good. Thanks for the detailed step by step process.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool write up and awesome job on the euro!!

Comment

Great story!

Comment

Great job, something to be proud of.

Comment

Working...
                                X