Pool is chlorine locked. What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darralld View Post
    Salt water generator is the way to go. Yes it makes it from the salt. But it's totally different from swimming in a pool that is using chlorine.
    Anything involving salt and my pool is not the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
      Do not just add it unless it’s low

Too much will not allow the chlorine to be nearly as effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Agree. To me, that Test Strip looks on the very low end for stabilizer. Not the Magenta color on the strip that is “ideal”. Pool sample to Leslies in Kerrville and at least see what they say. OP needs to know how many gallons the pool holds so it’s not polluted by stabilizer.

Comment

Sparkles knows his stuff. He is in the business.

Comment

For the amount of chlorine you have added you're bleaching the strip.

I've been teaching the Certified Pool Operator course for over 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
            Looks like a high pH is you cause. Add some arm and hammer baking soda to bring it down

.....and God Bless America.
            Bicarb raises the pH and the alkalinity

Comment

I had same issue last week so I pulled out the test bottles and did that and come to find out the chlorine portion of test strip was a bad read.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
                Bicarb raises the pH and the alkalinity
                Dang...had it backwards... Add acid to decrease.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                  Throw the strips away and get a Taylor K2006 test kit.
                  Don’t go to Leslies, they’ll just make money off you chasing your tail.
                  Go to troublefreepool.com and read up/ask questions.

Comment

I couldn't post anything last night, my phone won't let me for some reason.

If the PH is high, we added some soda ash last night to see if that would help fix the problem. We've vacuumed so much that I'm pretty sure we've nearly replaced the water in the pool. It's a 13000 gallon pool.

My wife is going to vacuum some more today and check the chemicals. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Sunlight also eats up chlorine. Do you use an auto chlorinator? May want to try testing early in the morning. You may need to add chlorine stabilizer too.

Comment

Get water tested at pool store and then post results here. You are just guessing otherwise
                        Ph is raised with soda ash and lowered with acid. Get a water sample tested and we can tell you what to do. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                          I couldn't post anything last night, my phone won't let me for some reason.

If the PH is high, we added some soda ash last night to see if that would help fix the problem. We've vacuumed so much that I'm pretty sure we've nearly replaced the water in the pool. It's a 13000 gallon pool.

My wife is going to vacuum some more today and check the chemicals. We'll see what happens.
                          If the PH is high and you added soda ash this will make the PH even higher.

Comment

Originally posted by bps3040 View Post
                            Get water tested at pool store and then post results here. You are just guessing otherwise
                            Ph is raised with soda ash and lowered with acid. Get a water sample tested and we can tell you what to do. Good luck
                            Pool stores are useless for defining a problem and fixing it the first time.
                            Buy a real test kit and test it. It takes a 3rd grade education to do your own tests and put in the proper chemicals, once you know what each on does. I use (when needed):
                            Liquid chlorine (in the summer, about .3gal a day when CYA is ~60ppm)
                            Muriatic acid (~.25gal every other day in the summer)
                            Borax (very rarely)
                            Baking soda (very rarely)
                            That’s all it takes for 99% of pool chemicals. I’ve had my pool 1.5 years and have used borax once, baking soda twice, and no other chemicals not listed above. Read these 2 links of you want to know how to do your pool chemicals properly, what each do and what not to use/do.

There are several items things every pool owner should know about swimming pool water. We share details on the basics of Pool Water Chemistry.

Comment

Originally posted by bps3040 View Post
                              It takes me 45 minutes to get the water to the test site. They tell me it's not a very reliable test since it takes so long to get the water to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                                If the PH is high and you added soda ash this will make the PH even higher.
                                The soda ash must have worked a little because my wife just stuck a test strip in and it changed color a little. I'm thinking she should add some more soda ash.

Comment

Working...
                                X