• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So add some and retest it.

Comment

Cyanuric acid

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
        I agree with the comments above on purchasing a test kit and double checking PH level.

I would also recommend purchasing one of those floating chlorine dispensers. Throw a few tablets in there every couple weeks as they dissolve. This actually helps more than you would think.
        We've got those filled with tablets and they are floating around.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I believe the test strips have an expiration date as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          These are brand new test strips. I think they were bad when we bought them.

Comment

Buy a saltwater system, add it to your pump, throw in some pool salt and be done with chlorine. We have one on our above ground pool, so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
              Buy a saltwater system, add it to your pump, throw in some pool salt and be done with chlorine. We have one on our above ground pool, so much easier.
              Saltwater pools still have chlorine. It just reduces the amount. Every pool should have some chlorine to stay sanitary.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                Saltwater pools still have chlorine. It just reduces the amount. Every pool should have some chlorine to stay sanitary.
                It's all done with the saltwater system, all you do is add salt. The system will tell you if it gets low on salt, no chemicals have to be put in.

Comment

The salt chlorine generator produces the chlorine from the salt (NaCl sodium chloride) . Then after a time the sodium and chlorine join back together reforming the salt.

Comment

Chlorine in a salt system is the same as chlorine pool. Ozonated systems have lower chlorine.

Follow the SLAM method found at troublefreepool as mentioned previously.
                    Basically shock your pool using liquid chlorine found at lowes. The chlorine reading needs to be set based on the table, depends on cya.
                    Keep it at that level for days running pump and cleaning filters as needed.
                    Then reduce down to normal levels.

My guess is that you are fighting growth and its decimating your chlorine instantly. You need to truly shock it.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                      The salt chlorine generator produces the chlorine from the salt (NaCl sodium chloride) . Then after a time the sodium and chlorine join back together reforming the salt.
                      My point is there still is chlorine. Have no idea on an above ground pool but in ground and salt dont go well together. Salt is rough on everything it touches including tile, stone, equipment, plants etc. It definitely has its advantages but it has bunch of negatives. I recommend a chlorine pool with Ozone and UV filter. Reduces the chlorine while not having to use salt.

Comment

Here is a site that I learned a lot from, FYI sunlight will use a lot of chlorine.

Comment

OP, lots of advice out there. One more coming from me. When I first moved in to this house/pool, I would follow the routine of checking the water, chlorine, PH, blah, blah, blah. Then, I came up with my own tests, my eyes. I tell people that one test is if the water is crystal clear and the other is if my eyes hurt while I'm in it. That is all I use, chlorine, nothing else. The few times I brought my water for testing at Leslie's, they'll tell me it on the high side of chlorine but no other problem. My next door neighbor is always testing his and adding various chemicals. Every once in a while he has to drain his pool, maybe 2-3 years. Same with my FIL, who thinks he is an expert with pool water but had to drain his last summer. Don't overthink it. When you get your pool right, just use chlorine.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                            It’s been my experience that strips are to inconsistent. Spend $20 on a pool testing kit like this one https://www.poolweb.com/basic-5-test-kit

I’ve had mine for over 5 years and it’s very reliable

This

Comment

BBB method for pools...

A lot cheaper than all those **** chemicals....

Bleach, borax, baking soda

Google it....you wont use anything else

Comment

My point is there still is chlorine. Have no idea on an above ground pool but in ground and salt dont go well together. Salt is rough on everything it touches including tile, stone, equipment, plants etc. It definitely has its advantages but it has bunch of negatives. I recommend a chlorine pool with Ozone and UV filter. Reduces the chlorine while not having to use salt.
                                Salt water generator is the way to go. Yes it makes it from the salt. But it's totally different from swimming in a pool that is using chlorine.

Comment

Working...
                                X