Ford Death Wobble & Warranty - Frustrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should sign up for the lawsuit lol.

A recent Ford class action lawsuit claims that the company knowingly sold F-250 and F-350 trucks with a dangerous “death wobble” defect.

Comment

Glad to see you posting on this dmack. I have a 17 f250 (only 25K miles). Haven't had the issue yet. But I'm sure it will happen right after my warranty goes out at 36k. I'll come see you!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        Glad to see you posting on this dmack. I have a 17 f250 (only 25K miles). Haven't had the issue yet. But I'm sure it will happen right after my warranty goes out at 36k. I'll come see you!

Hey. How you been? I don’t get on here that much anymore. But going to try more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dp
          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
          Last edited by dmack; 01-09-2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zac View Post
            I run my tires around 65-70psi. Yes, his was not as factory as mine but I also don't think his front bumper caused his death wobble. Ranchhands are about the heaviest replacement available and they are under 300 lbs for this truck. A relatively small number in the big picture for what this truck is rated for and much less than something like a snow plow. And I'm aware the "snow plow" package from Ford has +1 springs so it's slightly different and not a great comparison.

Mine has stopped with a new steering stabilizer. I am not suggesting the steering stabilizer is the cause. I assume the cause is a byproduct of the SFA system where both tires are tied together with a solid bar (I've been a GM guy previously so my SFA knowledge is limited). But it seems like all SFA systems experience death wobble at some point. I will say confidently that my factory stabilizer shock had failed and that was the point that I experienced death wobble in my truck. Letting the stabilizer sit for a few seconds I could easily move it an inch in either direction by hand. That lack of initial resistance is what I think allowed my truck to start shaking uncontrollably when going over specific bumps.

I just noticed in my first post I said the stabilizer is causing the problem. Poor wording, maybe I should've said furthering or not preventing. At any rate a new steering stabilizer has fixed my problems for the last several thousand miles.
            I hear you, and the stabilizer is definitely a part of the issue too. Are you running 18" rims?

3/4 ton trucks have gotten lighter duty over the years as more guys use them for their daily driver. And I think companies like Ford and Dodge have responded by putting lighter shocks, to make them ride nicer.

In general, the front axle of GM trucks are far shorter than SFA's. That is why they don' get the DW. If you look at the unsprung weight on an SFA, it crazy DW doesn't happen more. You have a 60-70 lb tire, at the end of a steel rod (Axle), encased in a steel housing, with steel steering linkages and sway bars, all of which are mounted to the axle, not the frame. The geometry and the forces developed are massive relative to an IFS set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
              Michael, I think you should rip this SAC guy a new one. I mean, just look at his username. You know he's got to be a piece of work!

Did SAC ever learn to throw washers?

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                I don't fit either category.

Mark called yesterday and they've been given authorization to replace with an aftermarket part to get me back on the road. Thanks Mark!

Michael do you have 18” rims with the Kevlar tires?

I also have a thread on TBH about same issue except mine happened at 4000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
                  I think it only fits lifted trucks though.

The ones I did were leveled. I think there was enough adjustment to do it on a stock suspension truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                    The ones I did were leveled. I think there was enough adjustment to do it on a stock suspension truck.
                    Does the problem becomes more prevalent if you install leveling kit on the front? I bought a Max Racing 2" Leveling Kit for my 2019 F350, but if it's precursor to the death-wobble, I'll send it back.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                      Does the problem becomes more prevalent if you install leveling kit on the front? I bought a Max Racing 2" Leveling Kit for my 2019 F350, but if it's precursor to the death-wobble, I'll send it back.

There is no way of knowing if or when this can happen. But with any lift you are removing caster from the truck. And increasing the chances of it coming on.

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
                        There is no way of knowing if or when this can happen. But with any lift you are removing caster from the truck. And increasing the chances of it coming on.

Not true with the Rough Country 3" with radius arm drop brackets is it?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          Not true with the Rough Country 3" with radius arm drop brackets is it?

Yes. The arms correct the caster and the geometry back into the truck. But that is still no guaranty that it will not get the DW. If that was the case stock trucks would not get them. But I always recommend dropping the arms. It’s the best way to do the job and have it driving its best.

Comment

Listen guys. If I had an F250 I would lift it. I would not let this worry me. I have a lifted JL. If you do the job right and with the best components. You should be fine. Replace worn out parts. And cross that bridge when it happens. Most trucks never have the issue. So take the odds.

Comment

If you think the DW on the front of Fords is bad just wait until they give you this. https://www.foxnews.com/auto/fords-f...-system-trucks

Taking it up the rear brings on a whole new meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                                If you think the DW on the front of Fords is bad just wait until they give you this. https://www.foxnews.com/auto/fords-f...-system-trucks

Taking it up the rear brings on a whole new meaning.

Remember when Chevy came out with that. What a joke that was.

Comment

Working...
                                X