Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 686 View Post
    Beautiful place, and great pics! Looks like you're getting a lot more mass and additional points after a few years of good management. You've got some interesting genetics to work with. What are you planning to do for fall food plotting? Our place is west of Lampasas, and I'm looking to do some similiar things. Our pastures were in bad shape, very compacted soil from decades of grazing with no maintenance. I just got a moldboard plow and turned an acre or two this weekend with some success and am looking forward to seeing if we can get a food plot going. I need to disc the areas I turned and then seed, roll, and pray for rain.
    Thanks. We have definitely seen some improvements over the past 4 years due to the protein/cottonseed, but like I mentioned earlier, we are really starting to see some great 2-year olds, which is telling me that the best is yet to come. We are having a guy come out to our place to plant a 4-acre field with wheat, oats and turnips. We are only doing one fall food plot this year to see how it performs. If it does well, then we will add a couple more food plots the following year. We are trying to help the bucks through the rut and post rut so that once they get into the antler growing season, their bodies are in great shape and that all of the nutrients can go to their head gear.

The only problem I see is that we may have too many bucks on our property.

Comment

Probably a good call to have someone come out and plant for you. I have a very limited farming background and have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out what/how to plant at our place, and then sourcing the equipment and doing the work.

Comment

Agree with Krivoman. Believe they are moving out once the groceries change. Hammer #2 from early in the thread. Just remember any traits you don't remove -- they will show up again in the future

Comment

I may try to purchase a Krivoman timed protein adapter, but I Would have never thought that the deer would prefer protein over corn that much.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
            I may try to purchase a Krivoman timed protein adapter, but I Would have never thought that the deer would prefer protein over corn that much.
            I specifically leave one protein feeder full (free choice) through October on our place because the bucks hang around it much better than corn. Especially when the rut is going I have watched a buck jump into the pen, walk under the corn feeder to the protein, eat protein for a couple minutes, hop out and keep running does.

Comment

We keep our 1,000lb all season trough filled all year and it's in the middle of our property. All of the other feeders are converted to corn around the end of August. We do not hunt the protein feeder.

Comment

Filling Up Corn Feeders

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                We keep our 1,000lb all season trough filled all year and it's in the middle of our property. All of the other feeders are converted to corn around the end of August. We do not hunt the protein feeder.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	New Krivoman Feeder, Alfalfa & Rice Bran.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	24400310

We are setting up our 3rd Krivoman feeder and filling up all of our corn feeders this weekend. One of the great things about these big Krivoman feeders is that when we fill them up with corn, they stay full for almost the entire season. This causes much less disturbance and stress on our deer herd. In the off-season, we convert them into protein feeders and they last almost 5 times as long as a 50gal barrel protein feeder. Mitch is the man!

We are also setting out alfalfa and rice bran this weekend to see how the deer take. They are starting to eat more and more this time of year to help bulk up for the rut. Our mentality is the more food we can offer, the better shape they will be in after the rut.
                Last edited by bgleaton; 08-28-2015, 02:22 PM.

Comment

August 29th Update

Well, we are getting ready for deer season. My dad, two brothers, and one of our buddy's filled all of our feeders up with corn and through out some alfalfa and rice bran. We are copying what BoneThug does by adding alfalfa and rice bran to our buffet, I just hope we can eventually grow some bucks like he is growing. We will continue to feed the alfalfa and rice bran along with our corn, cottonseed and protein throughout the year. We set up our 3rd Krivoman feeder, the 1,500lb corn/protein combo. Like I have said before, Krivoman makes great feeders and Mitch is a great guy. We are going to buy one of his 2,000lb feeders next year to replace our All-Season's 1,000lb trough and buy two of his timed protein units.

Middle (1,500lb Krivoman Feeder):

Name:	Middle_1,500lb.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	24400450

NW Corner (1,300lb Krivoman Feeder):

Name:	NW Corner.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	24400451

SE Corner (1,000lb Krivoman Feeder):

Name:	Se Corner.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	24400454

NE Corner:

Name:	NE Corner_Feeders.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	24400449
                  We put two corn feeders here, one goes off in the AM and the other in the PM. We will be replacing these two with another 1,500lb Krivoman feeder next year.

NE Corner Bow Blind:

Name:	NE Corner_Bow Blind.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	24400448

Protein Trough:

Name:	Trough.jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	24400455

We set up a new bow blind at our protein trough because we have two really good bucks that always go to this feeder and none of the other feeders:

Name:	Protein Trough Bow Stand View.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	24400452

Name:	Protein Trough_looking at Bow Stand.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	24400453

We did get 0.40in of rain last week, but things are drying up quickly out there since that was the only rain we got in August. We are supposed to have a really wet September. The Farmer's Almanac is predicting 3in above average, which would be great for when we plant our 4-acre fall food plot this year. I'll keep you posted on how the food plot goes and post more pictures of bucks when I get the memory cards.

I'll be driving out there next weekend to set up all of the pop up blinds and make sure all of the bow blinds are ready to rock. I have to install cattle panels or something around our pop-up blinds because last year cows destroyed my Double Bull blind. Has anyone protected their pop up blinds from cows. If so, what did you do?
                  Last edited by bgleaton; 08-29-2015, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Very nice...Great looking setups. Keep the updates coming and good luck this season.

Comment

Finished Cornhole Boards

My brothers finished the cornhole boards

Name:	Corn Hole Boards.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	24400504

Comment

10pt Picture

Here's the most recent picture of the big 10pt. We are gong to give him one more year.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	24400682

Comment

Re-Post Picture

[ATTACH]738750[/ATTACH]

Comment

More Trail Camera Pics

Here are some more trail camera pictures:

Name:	PICT0088.jpg
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	24400705

Name:	PICT0137.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	24400707

Name:	PICT0623.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	24400708

Name:	PICT0647.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	24400709

Old 8pt:

Name:	PICT0709 - old 8pt.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	24400710

2.5yr old 11pt:

Name:	PICT0025-young11pt.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	24400706

Comment

Great looking deer! I'm excited to see how y'all do come deer season. Good luck

Comment

Great looking place!

Comment

Working...
                                X