Alaska. Will this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaska. Will this work?

Are good rust free 15-20 year old trucks or Suburbans sellable in Alaska? Could I drive a good rust free truck up there, sell it and fly home and come out ok? I suppose advertise on CList and get some lookers buyers lined up would be prudent? What do you think?

I tried that going to Belize. Almost did not make it home.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
      What do you think?
      I think I wouldn't drive a 20 year old truck from TX to Alaska. I'd find old trucks closer to Alaska.
      I would get a trailer and pull them up there.
      I would also do some research on actual sale prices in Alaska and used car sales laws.
      Here in GA it is a illegal to curb cars.
      Be proactive, educate the public, help GIADA stomp out Curbstoning! What is a curbstoner? Curbstoning is the sale of used vehicles by unlicensed dealers who pretend to be private parties in order to evade regulation. Their customers often get saddled with damaged, dangerous, or uninsurable vehicles – by which time the curbstoner is long gone with

Comment

Hell yes it will!! Go for it.
        What's the worst that could happen? You don't make it, and wind up with an adventure you'll never forget.
        They're not gonna eat ya .
        I've hitchhiked 1000s of miles, took a plane and then rode a train back, biked, etc.. I love that kind of stuff.
        100% go for it.

Comment

Pictures please..............

Comment

In the summer of 2000 my buddy and I drove his 1987 Toyota 4Runner to Juneau, Alaska. He flew home at the end of the summer and I drove it all winter then he and his dad drove it back to Round Rock at the end of Sept 2001. It's still going with over 200,000 miles.

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip to me!

What is your angle? It would cost $700 in fuel so what is the payoff? Profit? Convenience?

Comment

We flew up there a couple years ago ...ran into a fellow Texan at Denali who had driven to Alaska pulling a big camper. At one point the roads were so bad the back window...exploded. No lie...

I saw a lot of vehicles abandoned along side the roadways. If they breakdown in BFE...they just leave them there.

You may could sell...limited market and supply I suppose.

Comment

Vehicles do hold their value longer up here that's for sure. The problem is if it doesnt' sell what are you going to do? Are you stuck here till it sells? Could you sell it to a dealership, likely, but not for much. Whenever I have driven up, I buy a 7x14 enclosed trailer in Post Falls Idaho. They sell for about $4,000 and I sell them up here for between $6,000 and $6,500 which pays for my gas, hotels and meals.

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
                    Vehicles do hold their value longer up here that's for sure. The problem is if it doesnt' sell what are you going to do? Are you stuck here till it sells? Could you sell it to a dealership, likely, but not for much. Whenever I have driven up, I buy a 7x14 enclosed trailer in Post Falls Idaho. They sell for about $4,000 and I sell them up here for between $6,000 and $6,500 which pays for my gas, hotels and meals.
                    Why are these so sought after up there? What do they use them for?

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                      Why are these so sought after up there? What do they use them for?

Rwc

My guess is to keep stuff out of the weather. Don’t do you much good having tools on the back of your truck, if your truck is covered in snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

a couple of years ago when my brother lived in Alaska he and his family drove down to TX during Christmas break(that's a heck of a trip in the middle of winter with 4 kids and 3 dogs). On their way back they bought a used Suburban in Roswell NM and drove it back up there bc it was a lot cheaper to do that than to try to buy one up there.

Comment

I have bought and resold vehicles and everything else all over the states. I usually do some quick research on what prices are in an area and I will run an ad on C.L. or similar with vehicle for sale and see what kind of interest I get before actually buying the vehicle. It often pays for my trip and more, being married has me doing it less these days though.

Comment

I don't know what they sell for up there but I have an 83 silverado with a newly rebuilt 350 4bolt main( less than 1,000 miles ), a newly rebuilt transmission( less than 1500 miles ), a brand new dash pad, new vents that my daughter has now decided to sell. She loves the truck but it is eating her up in gas. I have just shy of 7,000 in the truck but will take $4,500 for it. I think it would be a great candidate for the trip.

-john

Comment

take a couple cases of liquor with ya

Comment

Working...
                              X