Painting a Jon Boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting a Jon Boat?

Anyone here know how to paint an aluminum jon boat and if so could give me some tips? I am not wanting to just rattle can it as I want the paint job to last a while. I tried searching on here but could only find bits and pieces of what to do but nothing really in depth. If there's a thread I'm missing, could y'all just post the link please?

Respectfully

Garrick J. McCarthy
    TAMU '21

I'd take a wire wheel on a grinder and get after it. Take it down to bare metal as best you can, a good spray paint primer, and a few light coats of spraypaint, and you should be good to go.

Comment

No!! If you’re gonna take paint off aluminum, get some paint stripper. Use plastic scrapers so you don’t gouge the aluminum. Put down a cheap plastic “drop cloth” and when you’re done, you can roll it up and throw the old paint scrapings away (leave it outside util the chemicals evaporate, so you don’t start a fire). If the old paint on it is just faded, use that as your base coat, and just sand lightly with some 320-400 grit (wet sand). Then, prime and paint.

If you have an air compressor, you can use a spray gun, which will put out a lot more paint than spray cans. The $9.99/$14.99 HVLP specials from Harbor Freight actually work pretty well. You can also use a brush, if you have to. You can use an additive called Penetrol, which will help the paint “flow” better, so you don’t see the brush marks so much.
      Last edited by Abctx; 08-12-2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Media blast.
        Quicker.
        Cleaner.
        Less corrosive.
        Less messy.
        Gets it all.
        Its fun to do.

Comment

is it painted already? you can get a nice paint gun at harbor freight for very little $. also check out the sherwin williams direct to metal "DTM" enamel. it is good stuff. sounds like you want to make the effort worth it.

for info/knowledge check out www.tinboats.net . it is one of my favorite forums besides TBH of course! tons of knowledge and project tips and pics.

Comment

Depends on how good a job you want to do.
            Aluminum needs to be -
            Stripped
            Cleaned
            Etched
            Primed
            Painted
            Don't use anything in a rattle can if you want it to be professional.
            Don't use vinegar to etch it, etc..
            Lots of shortcuts, and half azz work methods, but only 1 correct way.
            I figured it all out by joining a aircraft forum. Those guys know how to paint aluminum.
            Some things like Aladine can be tough to find, and most all of it will require a good respirator.
            Bad bad stuff when it comes to painting.

Comment

I painted my bass tracker several years ago. It didn't have paint on it which helped. I removed decals, washed and sanded it with wet sand paper w fine grit. Once clean and dry I used self etching paint from spray cans. It turned out great. Still on good, and everyone that sees it thinks it came that way lol.

Comment

Power wash, degreaser, Wet sand, power wash. Prime then hit with Parker boat paint

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                  Media blast.
                  Quicker.
                  Cleaner.
                  Less corrosive.
                  Less messy.
                  Gets it all.
                  Its fun to do.
                  Media blast, clean it, self etching aluminum primer, then paint. Hvlp gun.

I have only done it once, it is a lot of work, but turned out excellent and has been tough as nails.

Comment

Painting a Jon Boat?

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                    Media blast, clean it, self etching aluminum primer, then paint. Hvlp gun.

I have only done it once, it is a lot of work, but turned out excellent and has been tough as nails.

This. I did mine and it’s held up 5 years now and still looks great. If the paint on it is in good shape just faded or not the color you want, you can paint over it. If the base coat isn’t bonded well though your paint will flake off eventually. I pulled my console and roughed it with a sander, think 320 grit, wiped it down with acetone and shot it and it’s held up just fine. I used an aluminum boat paint, believe it was duracoat. If your going to shoot it with a gun pay particular attention to what you thin it with or you can get a rough finish.

I shot the decks with raptor liner. You can get a clear version and dye it with your paint to match the rest of the boat. It won’t be perfect but it’s very close. After 5 years of duck hunting and sitting outside all year it’s held up great. I highly recommend it.

Before

During

Raptor liner

After

Last edited by Wall_Hanger; 08-12-2019, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I guess I should of added a picture of the boat. I am wanting to do a camo paint scheme for duck hunting.

Respectfully

Garrick J. McCarthy
                      TAMU '21
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHunter.280 View Post
                        I guess I should of added a picture of the boat. I am wanting to do a camo paint scheme for duck hunting.

Respectfully

Garrick J. McCarthy
                        TAMU '21
                        Yours looks a lot like the boat we painted a couple of years ago. It was an old boat...1966 model I think...with peeling almost aqua green paint. We used wire wheels and scrapers to get most of the old paint off (which took a long time) and then painted it Natural Gear Camo colors and pattern using paint from Sherwin Williams - Industrial division. Here are the before and after pics.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I would use Sherwin Williams Kem400 paint. RedLeg camo has a good selection of paint and stencils if you want a camo pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by ABroussard View Post
                            I would use Sherwin Williams Kem400 paint. RedLeg camo has a good selection of paint and stencils if you want a camo pattern.

These are what I used. Basically copied the colors from Red Leg. Also used a cleaner and Industrial Wash Primer prior to applying the SW paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X