Threading question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threading question

Just read several posts on Sniperhide about thread barrels(for suppressor) having a detriment to accuracy. Any of you ever noticed this? There were several videos, and lots of ‘heated’ debate on the subject.
    TIA,

Vaya Con Dios.

If Joe Blow Gunsmith is running a tap over the end of your barrel it won't be concentric to the bore, but take it to a pro like APR and they'll single point cut it and you'll be just fine. IMO

Comment

No issues here

Comment

I guess it could technically change the harmonics of an existing barrel since you are removing material from the end of the barrel and slightly alter groups, as can any barrel work or change in muzzle device (which is why barrel tuners exist). However, if there's anything more than a minimal change, you need a new gunsmith or there's probably another issue.

Just take a look at 95% of custom rifles, or go to any precision rifle competition. Almost everybody has threaded barrels and are running some sort of muzzle device. If threading was an issue, that wouldn't be the case.
        Last edited by Raider4044; 12-06-2021, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Just because they are on snipershide doesn’t mean they aren’t stupid. Lol.

There’s some ignorant stuff on there.

When done right it’s fine. Every single rifle I have is threaded besides 1 rimfire I believe.

Comment

Take it to a quality smith like APR or Mark Pharr at Tumbleweed Firearms and ignore snipershide

Comment

I haven't seen a loss of accuracy with any of mine. If anything they may even shoot better (at least I do anyway). Some people confuse accuracy with POI change which I will say I do see when I go from suppressor to no suppressor on each rifle. But accuracy of the gun doesn't change.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

my 260 rpr has a threaded aftermarket barrel .. ruger never made a 260 ... it shoots like crap! see for yourself.
                [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RPzh6HescI"]Ruger Precision rifle shooting to 700 yards - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I wonder why f class shooter have threaded barrels? Maybe those itty bitty groups at 1000 yards would be tighter if they used an unthreaded barrel.

Comment

I have 2 that are factory threaded. With suppressor there was no difference in accuracy, but did see a significant shift in point of impact. Changed POI 4 1/2" on both rifles. One was straight down and the other was straight to the right of the POI without the suppressor.

Comment

I single point all of mine and they are concentric within a few tenths. Only way to do it. Same thing if I need an adapter to go from 1/2-28 to 5/8-24.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                        I single point all of mine and they are concentric within a few tenths.
                        Tenths of an inch? That's gonna leave a hell of a baffle strike.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          Tenths of an inch? That's gonna leave a hell of a baffle strike.
                          Tenths of one thousand of an inch. 0.0001”

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                            Tenths of one thousand of an inch. 0.0001”
                            wow 100 micron .. i'm impressed!

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                              wow 100 micron .. i'm impressed!
                              I mean, this is what I indicate to…less than two tenths surely. But I see what you’re saying about the wording
                              Last edited by kck; 12-11-2021, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X