Question about Rifle Stock and Recoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Rifle Stock and Recoil

I have a Ruger M77 7mm that my father purchased back in the mid 80s. I have used it for roughly 25 years now. It is all original and it is even still topped with the same 3x9 leupold scope he put on it the day he bought it. He killed many deer with it, as have I.

In the last couple of years, I have gotten to the point where I hate shooting the rifle due to the recoil. It is just not enjoyable, especially on the range. Lately, I have opted for my 25-06 or 7mm-08. I hate to modify the rifle (call it nostalgia, if you will) but I also hate to see it sit and collect dust.

So, to my point:
    Would an aftermarket stock help with reduce recoil? Do ergonomics play a role in that? If I were to replace the stock, I would like to get something in a wood finish similar to the original stock. If you have a recommendation on style or brand of stock, please share.

Maybe a limbsaver recoil pad that just slips on over the stock. That way there is no modification to the gun.

Comment

If you leave that slip on pad on there long enough it will usually damage the stock finish. That may not be a concern but it does happen.

Comment

if its the original Red recoil pad, they weren't very good from the beginning and over time they become harder. At least the Rugers I had did.
        Definitely replace that thing.

What's the caliber by the way?

Comment

I have the same gun in 30-06 and a 3x9 leupold. It’s defiantly kicks but it’s a sin to modify those guns. The walnut stock m77 is one of the most classic hunting rifles there is IMO. I’ll never sell or change mine but I bought a 6.5cm and plan to get a suppressor for a easy to shoot gun.

Comment

Stock won't change anything unless it has more weight or a better pad.

I shoot a M77 All Weather in 7Mag.

Kicks hard when I shoot at the range in warm weather while wearing a tshirt.

Soft as a pillow when hunting in the cold Rockies during November.

Essentially it has no pad. A thin piece of hard rubber on plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
              if its the original Red recoil pad, they weren't very good from the beginning and over time they become harder. At least the Rugers I had did.
              Definitely replace that thing.

What's the caliber by the way?
              Gun is a 7mag. Yes, it is the original red pad and, yes, it is hard.

Maybe I'll just look at a new butt pad. I know the limbsaver brand. Are there better options out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensammy View Post

Maybe I'll just look at a new butt pad. I know the limbsaver brand. Are there better options out there?
                Limb saver nitro

Comment

Kick eez recoil pads work very well.

Stock ergonomics can absolutely help. Tremendously.

Comment

Limbsaver, Kick-eez and Pacmayer all make a good pad for what you’re needing.

I used a Limbsaver on my dads old Ruger 77 and it made a big difference in the felt recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensammy View Post

You could drill out the stock and put some heavy filler in it, then put the pad back on it? Adding some weight to it helps with the recoil but the 7mag kicks like a mule (at lease to me) anyways. Some of the suggestions above would work well too.

Comment

I would think that the only thing a different stock could do to help recoil is if it was heavier that the current one. A good recoil pad like limbsaver would help, there are also mercury tubes that can be put in the stocks to reduce recoil, you can also put on a clamp/bolt on muzzle brake. The best thing I bet you could do would be install a brake. If I remember right there is a clamp/bolt on muzzle brakes that reduce recoil around 40-45%.

Comment

I saw some reduce recoil ammo in 7mm,you can try that

Comment

If you don't want to alter the gun, I'd just get a slip-on recoil pad and put it on when I wanted to actually use the gun and take it off when it was stored. They take like 30 seconds to put on. I do the same thing with a Rem 700 in the old Monte Carlo stock that was passed down to me that I don't want to alter.

Comment

I kind of have the same issue with an older M700 Classic in 7RM, it has the old brown Remington recoil pad that is now petrified. That, and age is creeping up on me as it is for all of us, and I just don't like much recoil anymore (still don't feel it when shooting at game). I'm considering the investment in a replacement pad like a Pachmayr Decelerator, don't feel it will detract from the gun's appearance at all. I'm keeping the original stock, it has too much character and hunting history to do away with.

I've always used a PAST recoil shield when shooting it from the bench, helps a bunch. If you handload, you can also mix some loads that produce lower recoil and are still useful in the field. May not be full bore 7RM performance, but still stout. I used some older Winchester brass, H4350, and 154gr Hornady Spire Points and got a milder recoiling 3050fps load that will still deal a hand of grief to whitetails.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                              X