Ever have a trailer jump off the ball??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever have a trailer jump off the ball??

About a month of so ago I was heading west loaded down with my 10 ft utility and in Columbus they had the road busted up to retop it and right at the death curve on 10 there was a pretty significant drop and my trailer went airborne and then straight off the ball. I had a safety pin and it still came off was it just the perfect angle and the tiniest of room to come off??? I had chains so I didn't lose it but man it had me worried the rest of the way after I got it back on.

Anybody experience this?

I have, major pucker factor for sure. Empty trailer and no issue in the road. Is there an adjustment on the coupler? I was wondering about my boat trailer last week.

Comment

Scary deal for sure. It happened to my dad once, but he forgot to latch it. I have always had that fear so my lowboy has a bulldog hitch because I think they are more secure.

Comment

Yep. That is why ALL I will use now is a Bulldog Hitch/Coupling. No more worries...

Comment

Yep, twice. Once with 4x8 and atv. Brand new Honda rolled 3 times inside the trailer. Fired right up to unload it. Too be fair here dad fell asleep driving and we went to sliding across 362

Second time was my 18 foot boat. It ate the tailgate for breakfast

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowanta View Post
            Yep. That is why ALL I will use now is a Bulldog Hitch/Coupling. No more worries...
            Yelp had it happen on I-20 right before ranger hill. I was empty. Got home and cut off old one and welded a bulldog on two days later.

Comment

Yes on a small utility trailer, never on a standard size two axle
              Same scenario that you had small trailer with a upright freezer in it , hit a bad piece of road and trailer went airborne and wheeled into the ditch thank goodness

1 7/8th ball 4x8 trailer
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-01-2021, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Yes, I have a shared trailer that when empty can come off when pulling empty. Never had an issue when loaded.

Comment

The reason why I don't let anybody hitch me up anymore.....drove a car to an upholstery shop across town once and trailer ate my suburban tailgate unloading the car. Act of God that it didn't come off going across town.

Comment

Yep. Many moons ago one of our guys was pulling a 20ft trailer loaded with landscape equipment and it came loose as he topped a big hill. He slowed down and it passed him in the oncoming lane and came to rest in a house. Nobody was hurt thankfully. Chains are important.

Comment

I use the Bulldog coupler as well so this does not happen. There is an adjustment on a standard coupler. On the bottom side there is a nut to tighten the panel. My guess is it came loose over time and you did not realize it. Glad everything worked out and no major catastrophe took place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not on the road, but if don't latch the coupler when you load your SxS it will jump off the ball and dent your tailgate....don't ask me how I know.....lol.

Comment

Once. We lived on lake Whitney about 1/2 mile from the boat dock at Uncle Gus'. I had been working on the boat motor and ran down to try it out. I forgot to put the chains on it for some reason. I stopped 1/2 way up the ramp to pull the plug and I guess the angle let the hitch come loose. When I started to pull off, I see the nose of the boat and trailer in my driver side mirror. I was only going maybe 5 miles an hour so I slammed the brakes on and jumped out to stop the boat. DONT EVER DO THAT!! A 20 ft bass boat is pretty dam heavy. It knocked me down and the ran over me. Broke my leg and the tire went over my hip and across my shoulder. It did stop after running over me though. I was glad it did. It was headed down a big hill where the big yachts are docked. Might have gotten expensive.

Comment

No.

Comment

If it was latched, and it came off, there is something wrong with it! There's a big nut on the bottom that is probably loose. I have bulldogs on all of my stuff now from replacing the other junk over time.

Comment

Working...
                              X