X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer heart is great in a cast iron skillet with butter and onions

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      Don’t like liver but heart is good. I take the heart fresh, season with fajita season with some lime and make tacos.

This right here for me. Throw liver in the bushes. Clean heart up, remove all white parts, dice up and make tacos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll eat the heart but the liver is made into dog food

Comment

heart and liver are good they just aren't good for you

Comment

I like cooking liver (skinned) in bacon grease and onions. Add flour to make a gravy. It's great. The fresher, the better.

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            Liver is one of the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet which is why wolves and other carnivores notoriously eat organs first. And heart? Not entirely sure but seems to be super lean meat. Cant see how it would be "bad" for you.

Comment

Look up "Stuffed Deer Heart" or Seared Heart with Whiskey Butter from Meateater. Also for liver look at Meateater's site. I highly recommend soaking in milk for 4-24 hours prior to cooking. You will wonder why you ever threw that away.

ps - I use that Whiskey Butter to quick cook lots of different thinly sliced meats.

Comment

How is it not good for you?

OP, I eat both and like both. I’m not a chicken fry fan of either, but it’ll work. Some people the texture throws them off and they done like it. I would suggest no matter how you cook either, cut into small thin pieces. Cutting small will help get around the texture if you think it will bother you.

My favorite way for either is to throw a chunk of bear fat on a skillet and pan fry either in that rendered bear fat. From there put on a plate with veggies, put in a taco, or pass around for an appetizer.

Comment

Liver is a filter, think about it…

Comment

Heart is great but the liver goes into the gut pile. I cooked some up in the cast iron skillet a few weeks back and that chit ain't gonna happen again. lol

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                      How is it not good for you?

OP, I eat both and like both. I’m not a chicken fry fan of either, but it’ll work. Some people the texture throws them off and they done like it. I would suggest no matter how you cook either, cut into small thin pieces. Cutting small will help get around the texture if you think it will bother you.

My favorite way for either is to throw a chunk of bear fat on a skillet and pan fry either in that rendered bear fat. From there put on a plate with veggies, put in a taco, or pass around for an appetizer.

Organ meats are very high in cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by A&M 90 View Post
                        If I kill a deer this year, I am going to cook and eat the liver and heart.

Is there any reason I should not do it?

For those of you have eaten deer liver and heart, did you like the taste and texture?

How did you prepare and cook it? Thinly sliced? Fry it in olive oil?
                        Pretty good reason is it tastes like crap. My buddies like to fry up deer heart, I don't care for it. I can eat it but why, its honestly not good. I don't do liver of any sorts or any other organ meat for that matter.

Comment

I love deer liver and onions. First thing I eat when I kill a deer.

I've eaten heart before but always seems rubbery to me. Usually put the heart into the ground meat stuff.

Comment

That is false

Comment

Organ meats are very high in cholesterol.
                              Silly.... So are eggs and cheese. Liver, though, has WAY more nutritional value than either but I'd bet you consume them daily without a thought. The numbers below are from less than 1/4 pound serving.

"Liver is a nutritional powerhouse.

It’s also rich in cholesterol, regardless of the animal source.

For instance, a 100-gram (3.5-ounce) serving of beef liver contains 389 mg of cholesterol.

This serving also provides 27 grams of protein and is rich in many vitamins and minerals. In fact, it contains more than 600% of the DV for vitamin A and over 1,000% of the DV for vitamin B12

Furthermore, it provides 28% of the DV for iron. Plus, this is the heme form of iron that is most easily absorbed

In addition, 3.5 ounces of beef liver contain 339 mg of choline, an important nutrient that helps protect the health of your brain, heart, liver, and muscles "

Dietary cholesterol is not harmful as was previously believed. Here are 7 high-cholesterol foods that are very healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by A&M 90 View Post
                                If I kill a deer this year, I am going to cook and eat the liver and heart.

Is there any reason I should not do it?

For those of you have eaten deer liver and heart, did you like the taste and texture?

How did you prepare and cook it? Thinly sliced? Fry it in olive oil?
                                YES, it's internal organs are extemely high in cholesterol.

Comment

Working...
                                X