No announcement yet.

Cattle Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to hijack the thread, but do coyotes pose a threat to mini cattle? I would guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by blhaley91 View Post
      I raise mini herefords on my 10 acres in town. They are perfect for small places.

Have a heifer calf born in Sept 2020 and a bull calf born Nov 2020 about ready to sell. Not registered but come from previously registered stock. I'm in Mason.
      I would be interested in the heifer calf.

Comment

Longhorn steers

Comment

James has got some great unique original Longhorns

Comment

Which livestock depends on the fences.

Comment

I’m thinking about running some Zebus on my place .

Comment

I would suggest the Aberdeen...
                1st-due to it's ability to process vegetation better than most animals
                2nd-small enough for one person to handle with a gentle disposition
                3rd-fencing can be reduced to as little as an electric fence (the saying goes - if you have goats it must hold water)
                4th-great grass-fed beef to eat
                5th-the wife will enjoy them as much as you do
                PM me if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help

tending the fire,
                Bob G.

Comment

My perimeter fencing is adequate. I also have 9 reels of polywire with a high power solar charger for rotational grazing. I had dorper sheep, but got rid of that small flock after I lost 2 (ewe, and lamb) in an isolated incident with a pack of wild dogs. That is what has got me thinking about something a bit more substantial than a sheep. Nobody in the area has had issues with those dogs and its been almost a year. Several of us lost livestock in a short period!

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
                    Not to hijack the thread, but do coyotes pose a threat to mini cattle? I would guess not.
                    I live on the edge of town and have seen bobcats, gray and red foxes, coyotes etc but havent lost any.

Comment

Does anyone have a round about cost to raising a calf for slaughter. With intentions of keeping it on pasture till about 500 lbs and finishing it off on feed for about a month. Another question? Has anyone finished a calf off on cotton seed?

Comment

Dexters

Comment

Buy something that you can drop off at the sale barn that will actually sell in the average range. I was at the San Angelo auction about three months ago when a pair of Belted Galloways came through. The livestock buyers got a chuckle out of that. The auctioneer tried to open bidding at $75 a head and didn't get any takers. He backed up to fifty or so and got the ball rolling. I don't remember the final price, but it was less than $100. I also noticed that Longhorn breed cattle were selling at a steep discount to the other cattle. Unless you are looking for a couple of self propelled lawn mowers, buy a beef breed. You may end up having to eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                            Which livestock depends on the fences.
                            This is the first thing to consider. Goats need an excellent fence and protection.

Match the cow to the fence. If you have chain link, put in longhorns. If you have 3 strand barbed wire, get steers. I have had lots of breeds and this is the only way to keep them in. The cows will break out when in heat if you don't have a good fence. Black angus will push a chain link fence down, but longhorns will get caught up in it and quit.

If there is better grass on the other side, they will get to it.

I have had a lot of cattle arrested by the sheriff. It costs a lot of money to get them back.

Comment

I would just get a couple of Angus or Baldy cows and borrow/lease a bull when you want them bred.

Comment

Santa Gertrudis. They are easy to keep disease tolerant good disposition and great table fare. They do very well up there. I love Herefords but they really struggle with pink eye and need doctoring more often than some of the other cattle. I’ve had Bert’s all mylife and love them. Get em right off momma and feed em a little each day and they will be docile as any pet you’ve ever had. If you don’t love em I will buy em from you and you can start over. ( heifers). You can rent the neighbors bull if you want them raising young. My humble opinion. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X