Herbicide question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herbicide question

I have a swampy area on my property that I've always wanted to turn into a food plot. Problem is it is full of those clumps of water grass stuff. If I mow it now and douse it with eraser herbicide and do it a couple more times this winter do you think it will kill all that stuff so I can plant in the spring. Thanks

Maybe... It wont hurt to go ahead and give it a try you dont have much to loose. If that doesnt get it then you will have to hit it after it greens up with a selective herbicide. Or wait and hit it when it greens up then plant soon after.

Comment

could you post a picture of the location you want to put the food plot?

Comment

If it green up in the spring or early summer, you are wasting money to spray it now. Wait until it starts to green up again then hit it.

You say it is swampy in that area - be sure your herbicide is safe for aquatics like toad, frogs, etc. If if says not to spray near water, don't do it. It will kill fish and frogs very quick and from very tiny amounts.

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
          I have a swampy area on my property that I've always wanted to turn into a food plot. Problem is it is full of those clumps of water grass stuff. If I mow it now and douse it with eraser herbicide and do it a couple more times this winter do you think it will kill all that stuff so I can plant in the spring. Thanks
          Dont mow. Spray as is.

Comment

This is what I'm working with
            Attached Files

Comment

Herbicide only kills growing vegetation. You’ll have to wait until spring to kill that. Glysophate will kill some of it but I’m not sure what all you have there. If you can identify everything you can probably kill it when it greens up this spring. A good thing to plant there would probably be white clovers. They thrive in wet areas. The thing is, they need to have ph neutral soils to flourish. Most all of East Texas soil will need lime worked in. Get you a soil test kit and find out what it needs. I don’t know how wet that is, but if a tractor will stand up, mow and disc a fire lane around it and burn it. Good luck !
              Last edited by Drycreek3189; 12-08-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I had that on our old property. We dug a drainage ditch down the middle and used the dirt to raise the lowest parts.

It was a hassle keeping it shredded.

The persimmons loved that bottom! So did the pigs.

I planted the adjacent higher ground.

Comment

We have a swampy area behind a large pond and also dug a trench through the middle to move the water out. Worked exceptionally well. I'd shred and plow the heck out if it, dig a drainage and plow again. If needed hit with glysophate. Then plant.

Comment

If it’s flat sedge hedge msma will kill it .

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I like the Dutch idea to keep water out and the white clover i thought about also. I see a burn in the future maybe like you said

Comment

Working...
                      X