Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know if your kid shoots left or right handed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a bunch beat me to it.

I'm left handed and use my left hand for almost everything, but I'm right eye dominant.

My dad duzy is right handed and left eye dominant...

Comment

my brother is right handed but left eye dominant. he tried both ways as a kid. shooting LH was more natural for him. so, he went that way.

Comment

In shooting a rifle, whether with optics or open iron sights, if you close one eye, the eye that remains open IS the dominant eye. Pretty simple really. Eye dominance only becomes a problem when shooting with both eyes open like in shotgunning or bow hunting. At 5 years old, he and his eyes may change dominance from one side to the other for a while yet. Most of the time when a young kid is shooting a bb gun, you can tell which eye is dominant because he will naturally try to aim with that eye. If he holds his gun right handed, and he's left-eyed dominant, he will try to lay his head down on the gun so he can use his left eye to aim. Conversely, if he's right handed and right eyed, he will almost naturally mount the bb gun and aim with the correct (right) eye. He could be still developing and no eye has achieved dominance just yet. I'd just watch him and see how he tries to shoot. ...could give you all the information you need to start to teach him to shoot properly. Just let him do it how he feels best for now... JMHO. And I have taught a lot of kids to shoot, especially with shotguns...

Comment

My GF is right handed Right eye as well but has issue with a scope and I have to tape your shoot glass on left side she keeps tying to open it

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
            My GF is right handed Right eye as well but has issue with a scope and I have to tape your shoot glass on left side she keeps tying to open it
            HUH?? Are you saying you tape a "SHOT" glass over her left eye because she wants to open it when shooting with a scope??? There's nothing wrong with shooting with both eyes open with a scope... The best shooters do that, especially at small targets at unknown range... I don't understand maybe what you were trying to say??

Comment

Working...
            X