Just Stop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
    He never said he would ridicule an adult. Did he ??
    Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
    He said he would never ridicule a child. Nothing about an adult.
    I think the point he is trying to make is, you shouldn't ridicule a young person (as stated in the OP), but that you shouldn't ridicule an adult either for that matter.

We have people like this on one of my leases, and I know that these same people who will tell you he needed another year would have pulled the trigger on that same buck if given the opportunity. I think that a lot of the ridicule comes not only from antler elitists, but also from jealous folks who havent made a kill (or both). I also believe that a child should be allowed to work up in size. My first buck was pre-AR rules, and looking back now I kinda cringe to see the pictures of how small the deer was, but then I remember the emotion accompanied with the kill, and that is the most important part. I have progressively worked up in my size of antlers as I have gotten older, and have passed on deer recently that I would have no problem whacking in the past. Just a personal choice for sure, but I have the luxury of that choice. Granted, I cannot pass on a decent 3 1/2 year old bucks because of where I hunt because the odds of one hitting the 5-6 year range that some people consider mature is almost unheard of. Like others have said, each situation is unique, and anyone who would begrudge another hunter a kill is just an A-hole anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      I'm not stirring anything, I thought we were ranting about Facebook on Texasbowhunter here......are we not?
      No sir, At least I'm not. I was ranting about "hunters" trying to dictate what others shoot. It happens here more than FB.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
        I seen this on FB and I agree with it.

We're all guilty of it. We see a hunter with mismatched camo with an old single-shot 12-gauge. And he's sporting his deer he just harvested on the back of his old truck. It's a doe or more than likely a smaller buck. But he's happy, and grinning from ear-to-ear like he just killed the new world record! So you laugh and joke with your buddies as he goes by. While leaning against your brand new truck, in your name brand matching camo. But have you ever stopped to think that maybe the deer on the back of his truck means a lot more to him than just big antlers.... maybe he's a third shift blue collar worker at the local steel mill, just trying to pay his bills and keep gas in his old truck. Maybe he don't have the fancy game cameras and big food plots that you have. Or the big fancy hunting blinds, that cost more than his old truck. Maybe he's happy because he finally didn't have to work this weekend. So he decided to go hunting on the little piece of land that he's hunted since he was a boy, with the gun that his dad gave him when he turned 12 years old. More than likely he's not hunting to kill the next World Record. He could care less about the antlers. But what he does care about is putting food on the table for his family at home, and knowing that they're going to eat good for now. And that my friends will put a smile on any true sportsmans face. So good luck to all the hunters out there with the rest of your season. Just remember this, support each other and be happy for each other, no matter how big their harvest is, because to some folks it means a lot more then the size of the antlers.

Original author

Joey Bruce
        Owner / President of
        SAD DADDY HUNTING BLINDS.
        The post by skinny butt girl made my day.

Growing up in Arkansas, the "deer woods" were a free place to hunt courtesy of IP and GP. In the 1970's they started leasing for $. Most of the guys on the lease HAD to get meat from the lease fees, back then it was @$100 per year. These were loggers, mechanics, dirtballs, etc that probably put change in a jar all year to cover their portion on the lease.

They had more in Walkers and Beagles than they had in the lease, the main objective was to put meat in the freezer for the family. Days were spent running dogs, evenings were spent checking neighboring camps for dogs. I later learned the check dogs trip was for a beer/adult drink as the camp was no alcohol.

Back then deer season was 2 weeks, a week mid November, and another week around Thanksgiving with an every other week Thanksgiving be a doe weekend.

Camo, what camo, those were work clothes. The blinds I sat in were 2x4s and 55 gal drums nailed in trees. Trucks were old trucks the guys fixed up, the highlight of the day was seeing who would get stuck in the Saline river bottoms between Leola, Farindale, and Jenkins Ferry. Better yet, who could pull them out.

A deer was a deer, and it went into the cooler. They hired local women to come to camp and cook, and it was durn good.

We did have a cooler, and most of the guys were employees of Arkansas Power and Light, so we did have electricity. I did go pump the handle for water for the cooks. We had to move the crapper each year, and we all attended the funerals as the members passed. There were two rows of dog pens, keep em fed and watered.

Shotguns were more common than rifles, squirrels were more abundant than deer, nothing like shooting an accurate 22 with squirrels.

Landmarks were the fork in the road, river split, low water bridge, upper and lower horseshoe pond, beaver pond.

Sorry to digress, but those were good days.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          Each circumstance is different. But there is no way I'd ridicule a child for shooting a legal deer of any size.
          Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Why would you ridicule an adult?

If he followed lease rules, and the law then there's no issue
          Read first sentence.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
          I did. Can you give me an example of why an adult should be ridiculed? If you read my post, I also said if he followed lease rules, and it's legal why ridicule anyone regardless of age?
          Originally posted by smokeless View Post
          He never said he would ridicule an adult. Did he ??
          Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
          He said he would never ridicule a child. Nothing about an adult.

I'm not trying to pick on Mexico. I was just curious about his comment, and looking for clarification. He specifically said he wouldn't ridicule a child for shooting a legal deer. The fact that he said he wouldn't do it to a child made me wonder if he would ridicule an adult for killing a legal deer. If so, then I was wondering why? What circumstance would justify it?
          Last edited by AntlerCollector; 11-09-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I'm not trying to pick on Mexico. I was just curious about his comment, and looking for clarification. He specifically said he wouldn't ridicule a child for shooting a legal deer. The fact that he said he wouldn't do it to a child made me wonder if he would ridicule an adult for killing a legal deer. If so, then I was wondering why?

He’s ridiculed me personally on this forum for our management practices. It’s a property he has zero knowledge of but has a better management plan for than the group of guys that hunt it every year.

Comment

Each circumstance is different. But there is no way I'd ridicule a child for shooting a legal deer of any size.
              And you would ridicule an adult for the same?

Comment

I'm not trying to pick on Mexico. I was just curious about his comment, and looking for clarification. He specifically said he wouldn't ridicule a child for shooting a legal deer. The fact that he said he wouldn't do it to a child made me wonder if he would ridicule an adult for killing a legal deer. If so, then I was wondering why? What circumstance would justify it?
                If a deer was killed legally and no lease rules were broken why would I ridicule anyone. Y'all quick to jump to conclusions, to each their own.

Comment

Yep ticks me off too! It causes division at a time when hunters need to be united more than ever!

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                    He’s ridiculed me personally on this forum for our management practices. It’s a property he has zero knowledge of but has a better management plan for than the group of guys that hunt it every year.
                    Oh really, enlighten me please. Guess my memory is bad

Comment

It's a durn shame we didn't have smart phones and fb back about 50 yrs ago when I began my hunting career. One can only imagine the foam mouth corner, snot bubble, stuttering, stammering rants we could've seen, induced by pick-up beds loaded with deer shot by groups of day lease hunters. Ahhhh yes! Fond memories!

Comment

Another TBH dumpster fire thread.. classic

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                          This type of reply on the book of faces is exactly why I do not have an account.
                          Right, cause here it does not happen

Comment

Oh really, enlighten me please. Guess my memory is bad

Go back and find the recent thread. You literally tried to tell me which deer age class we should be shooting having never seen our property. You also said there’s never a reason to shoot any buck younger than 5.5 which is ridiculous.

Comment

I can say this. The 13 inch rule has helped our place tremendously. Opening morning of gun season first deer I see is a 125 inch 10 point. For our place that’s a monster. Only thing is he was 3.5. That’d been the biggest deer I have ever shot. It was hard for him to stand at 70 yards safety off finger on the trigger and for me to let that deer walk. He chases his doe jumps the fence into the neighbors and 20 seconds afternoon he does neighbor kills that deer. That evening a different much smaller but nice 10 point jumps the fence. About 3.5. I let the -06 bark. You just can’t let deer walk where some people hunt. What’s the point? I was sick to let that deer walk for him to get shot on the neighbors and I’m still sick about it. But I’m proud of the deer I killed cause I’m gonna eat good and have a nice skull mount on mtn wall. The point of this is. If you know you’ll be happy about killing a specific deer especially if it’s a first deer then kill it!! That’s how hunting should be. Those of you that condemn someone cause they killed a deer that you wouldn’t kill is what’s turns people off of hunting. And I can only imagine being on a lease with that has gotta suck. If I was on a big lease in south Texas with huge deer then that’s different. But everyone don’t have the same situation as some people

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                                It's a durn shame we didn't have smart phones and fb back about 50 yrs ago when I began my hunting career. One can only imagine the foam mouth corner, snot bubble, stuttering, stammering rants we could've seen, induced by pick-up beds loaded with deer shot by groups of day lease hunters. Ahhhh yes! Fond memories!

I can relate. As a kid we hunted with deer dogs. Chased deer through the woods and blasted them with shotguns. Later when still hunting became a thing if the was antler sticking through the deers skin we were shooting him. Times have changed a lot

Comment

Working...
                                X