• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
    Please, please do not listen to any of this. ^^^
    I thought it was just me
    Originally posted by Buff View Post
    No college for me, I have done exceedingly well. I was a machinist that could weld.
    Now VP of a large mining service company.

Most of my welders make between $80,000 to $120,000 a year.
    There is a lot to be said for going to a trade school
    I hear this A LOT from people of all trades.

I don't have a degree. I went to college and drank beer. Wasted my own money

My desk is within 5 feet of a guy with a master's and the other a ba. They make roughly 2k more a year than I do.

I don't necessarily think college makes you more trainable or clay or whatever. Ethics and integrity does that

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

BS - computer science
      yes
      yes- no debt as I worked my way through school- but that was 40 years ago...can't do that today.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
        I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the state of our educational system, and quite frankly, it makes me sad and a little angry. I wanted to get the green screens opinion on whether or not you guys feel that college is worth it, in today’s society. Now I recognize that there are doctors and lawyers among us, and your education was certainly necessary and worth it. But I see an increasing number of people being successful without college education, and I truly believe that when the time comes I’m not going to push college on my children. FYI, we have four kids under the age of seven, so we have a while. But assuming There aren’t big changes to the educational system, I really don’t feel that I’m going to make my kids go to college if they want to pursue trades or other opportunities. If you haven’t, do some research on the rising cost of a college education. It’s eye-opening to say the least. All this said, I have a few questions for you guys.

A: what is your highest level of education?

B: For those of you with degrees, do you directly use your degree in your field?

C: given your income vs college debt (if any), or the overall expense in general, was your time in college worth it in the big picture ?

Mine

A- associates in instrumentation/electric

B- nope! In a sales role with the same company for 8 years now.

C- no debt, but put myself through college. It would be nice to have some of that money back.

A. Bachelors in finance

B. No. I’m in banking and a degree is practically a requirement for anything below entry level.

C. Never had student debt.

I though college was a waste. I learned some stuff in general but nothing related to my field. I found most of college useless and expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

BS = commission as a 2LT in Army, MA = promotions to LTC & COL. 30 yrs active duty, now retired and enjoying every minute.

So--in a nutshell, yes in my case.

Comment

One theme I am seeing in this thread is that a lot of folks think a degree is not very useful if you do not use it in your current profession. It may have opened some doors, but no longer has any real value.

I would tend to disagree, at least as it pertains to my path. I am currently an attorney, but studied engineering in college and even worked as an engineer for several years at a major defense contractor before transitioning into law. One thing I can say is that my engineering studies TAUGHT ME HOW TO THINK.

In particular, it taught me how to take a very complex problem and break it down into manageable pieces. It taught me how to understand relationships - that is, identify the factors affecting a given issue and what impact they have.

Turns out this was incredible training for law school and now the practice of law. I actually do still use my engineering degree directly because I am a patent attorney (need to understand how a given technology works), but I also use it indirectly every time I untangle a complex legal issue.

Just my 2c. Don't write off your degree without considering the non-tangible skills (e.g., critical thinking skills) that you may have developed while getting it.

Comment

M. Masters
              B. No but wouldn't be doing what I do without it.
              C. No debt, athletic scholarship undergrad, paid as I went for masters. College was definitely for me, I was great at it...academics not so much

Comment

It is extremely expensive. Both of my kids have to have degrees to do what they want to do. What chaps my butt is the struggle my son has particularly gone through with Foreign Teachers at Texas A&M. No offense but......Two in particular....one from Iran and one from China. The kids cannot even understand what the Professors are saying. One of the classes had around 300 students in it. All the kids are looking around at one another. A&M will gladly take your money but they cannot even hire Professors that can communicate with the student body properly. I hate that I pay for that but it may not be better elsewhere either. Otherwise, I am happy to pay for my Children’s education. I do beleive that most jobs can be taught and do not or should not require spending $120,000 to attain a piece of paper. I have been in Sales all of my adult life. Mainly in Medical Sales.....there was not one class in College that actually taught me how to sell or how to treat a customer. I learned that on my own. My Parents were greatful enough to pay for my College Degree as well. The best thing I can do to pay my Parents back is to be a great Dad, Husband, and a successful sales person.

Comment

BBA in International Business and minored in Economics
                  No. But I had to have a degree to even be interviewed for first job and all jobs after.
                  Yes time in college was worth it. Did graduate with student loans and yes I would do it again.

Left corp america 3 years ago. Started my own business in construction and what I learned in corp america has paid dividends in growing my business.

I am from the east side of Houston and only had one person from my high school at my college. Most of my buddies went into the petro chem world and have done great for themselves. I do remember duck hunting with a few of them my senior year of college and they all had new trucks, shot guns, boats etc.... I was broke as a joke and very envious at the time.

I am not sure if college is for everybody but depending on what kind of lifestyle you want later in life will dictate what you do.

Comment

Depends on the field your going in.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                      ^
                      This. If you are going into Finance or Accounting (and several other fields I am sure) you have to have a Bachelor's, and today a Master's and professional certifications, to get anywhere. I have 20 years of experience and have pretty much hit the ceiling because most jobs I would want to apply for are requiring a Master's and CPA (or other certifications). I work with and do the same work as CPA's that work beside me, but don't have the same opportunities because I don't have my certification. Doesn't really make sense but them are the rules these days. This is true at least at larger companies.

Comment

IYO, Is college worth it !?

BS in Electrical Engineering

Use it every day as an EE and couldn’t have my job without it obviously

My wife got an associates to become and RN, got a bachelors to get an increase in pay, then got a masters to become a FNP which over doubled her salary so definitely worth it for her also.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                          True. A degree, even if I had wanted it and could have afforded it would not have helped me at all in my line of work. Everyone is not suited for the jobs that require college degrees. Someone still has to hammer nails, dig ditches, operate equipment, pour concrete, and fix the plumbing. Most of them make a good living doing it too.

Comment

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the state of our educational system, and quite frankly, it makes me sad and a little angry. I wanted to get the green screens opinion on whether or not you guys feel that college is worth it, in today’s society. Now I recognize that there are doctors and lawyers among us, and your education was certainly necessary and worth it. But I see an increasing number of people being successful without college education, and I truly believe that when the time comes I’m not going to push college on my children. FYI, we have four kids under the age of seven, so we have a while. But assuming There aren’t big changes to the educational system, I really don’t feel that I’m going to make my kids go to college if they want to pursue trades or other opportunities. If you haven’t, do some research on the rising cost of a college education. It’s eye-opening to say the least. All this said, I have a few questions for you guys.

A: what is your highest level of education?

B: For those of you with degrees, do you directly use your degree in your field?

C: given your income vs college debt (if any), or the overall expense in general, was your time in college worth it in the big picture ?

Mine
                            A- associates in instrumentation/electric
                            B- nope! In a sales role with the same company for 8 years now.
                            C- no debt, but put myself through college. It would be nice to have some of that money back.
                            A. High school diploma, some college through military training and skill sets equivalent to trade schools.

B. N/A (Trade school if they aren't going college for a specific career path)

C. High level of income and no debt. Still have a G.I. Bill to use if I'm so inclined later.

Caveat to C. I make more than any of my friends with degrees and will likely be retired before they are finished paying off their loans. (Except a few who went ROTC)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

My take on this subject...if you don’t have any common sense then you need all the book smart help you can get. Otherwise, you’re not going to make it very far up the ladder in life.

Comment

If I’m paying for it I’ll definitely make that decision for them.
                                That right there is funny in so many ways.

Comment

Working...
                                X