Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bachelors
    Yes
    No student debt but I married into plenty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a backwoods in PR and Journalism. I use things I learned daily at work, mainly writing. My students loans are almost all paid off because I took a break after my sophomore year to work and save money so I could stop taking loans. My parents didn’t have the money to pay for me to go.

I would go get my MBA but $100k is a lot of money for something that may or may not actually benefit me. I’m in outside sales and have been since I graduated so it’s not like someone in engineering or finance where advanced degrees make a big difference

Was it worth it? Absolutely, got me in the door places that I wouldn’t have been without one.

We just had our first kid and have started saving for her college if she chooses to go, if she doesn’t then I’m getting a boat when she’s 19

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
        Bachelors
        Yes
        No student debt but I married into plenty!

Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
          Please, please do not listen to any of this. ^^^

This is the third time my comment was taken out of context. I later clarified that my comment was ONLY intended for my career choice.. I should had definitely added that in my original post though.. my bad.

IF you want to wager that in my career field you can get a job doing what I do without a degree or a bunch of experience.. Pm me and I’ll send you a list of companies that you can apply for, I’ll bet you don’t get a look.
          Last edited by Easttxbowman; 05-03-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

I don't have a degree, and I don't really care about that...what I wish I had was more basic accounting and business classes.

I'm going to urge my son to take all of the relevant business classes he can at a community college while working for two years, then decide if a degree from a big school is what he wants moving forward. A lot can happen in 12 years.

Comment

BS of Pharmacy Did that for 20 years but walked away from it last May to start flipping houses. I get more satisfaction now then I ever did working as a pharmacist. Just paid a plumber 7700 for a 8 hours on Tuesday, so no you dont need a degree to be successful.

Comment

It can’t hurt.
                I couldn’t wait to get out of high school and do not regret my decision to not go to college one bit. I chose a trade school.
                I have buddies that went to college that make more than I do, and I have buddies that went that make less. Hard work and dedication goes a long way.

With that said, I will be paying for my daughters to go.

Comment

I have a associates degree in science and coming to a end of a 34 year career in heavy electrical construction. Did OK. College was part of my apprenticeship. I was blue collar destined.
                  My youngest son went the full college route and was very smart from the get go. Was always in advanced classes and was a academy of finance student in his high school. One of 25 of 1500 students. He was scouted by a large accounting firm while in high school and use it like a farm system. They have been in touch with him, following him, the last 4 years, courting him. He gets his 4 year degree in a few weeks and is doing a graduate year on top. The accounting firm signed him(morals clause and all) and will be waiting for him when he finishes his graduate year. Sounds great right?
                  He is...we are, 80K in debt already from student loans. When it is all said and done, 100K. They( Sallie Mae) kill these kids with crazy interest rates like 8.75 and 8 and 7.75 on student loans. I am paying his loans and all expenses now, but when he gets out. Welcome to the big world. Daddy has Axis to buy and blackbuck for his ranch. If he went to law school it could be worse, so I ain't crying that loud.
                  College is worth it if you put hard work into it and utilize what you are taught.
                  Knowledge is power. I am glad my boys did not choose my profession. It is a hard job. I would rather they work with their minds then their hands. They know how to fix stuff and get dirty all the time. But I would much rather have them have the better less back breaking life and go to school.
                  I wish that for you also.

Comment

A. Bachelor’s in International Relations; Master’s in Geography.
                    B. I use it everyday, I’m a political consultant.
                    C. Absolutely 100%! Both of my degrees were paid for with my Post 9/11 G.I. Bill, but even if I would have graduated with debt I could have paid it off within a few years.

My wife has her Bachelor’s as well (Accounting, yuck!) and uses it everyday at her work. She also graduated with no debt because she worked her way through school, but her income would have also allowed us to pay off hers as well.

I’ll reiterate what others have said already, know what you want to do with your degree before you get it. If you want to work in advertising (my wife’s industry), a degree in marketing, accounting, or business is the way to go. A degree in women’s studies won’t get you very far in that field. Likewise, my degree wouldn’t me very far if I tried to get into plumbing. Even if someone chooses trade school, I’d still recommend taking accounting and business classes; they’ll help set you up for success if you ever want to go into business yourself.

P.S. The money is in coding, both now and in the future

Comment

A. B.S.
                      B. No, not anymore.
                      C. Absolutely! Plus the kind of people that don't have a degree...ughhh j/k. Its hard to say if I would have gotten where I am without the degree but I kinda don't think so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Masters.
                        It's really up to each individual to get educated the way they will learn and earn the most from.
                        The school of hard knocks without any degree is a proven winner for many.
                        A 2 year certificate degree is becoming very popular and results in high salaries earlier in a persons career without putting themselves in debt.
                        A 4 year degree is certainly proven to be worth the time it takes and debt it piles up.
                        A masters degree allows you to obtain jobs that you couldn't without it. I got mine because I knew I wanted to coach at the College level.
                        A PHD is for those who strive to really never stop learning.
                        If you want to get a degree then get a degree that fits your education passion.
                        Like others have said. Not everyones a college student.

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                          BS of Pharmacy Did that for 20 years but walked away from it last May to start flipping houses. I get more satisfaction now then I ever did working as a pharmacist. Just paid a plumber 7700 for a 8 hours on Tuesday, so no you dont need a degree to be successful.

Would you have been able to flip houses now if you hadn’t been a pharmacist for 20 years?

Comment

A: what is your highest level of education?

BBA Management Information Systems, Lamar University
                            MS Telecommunications Management, Oklahoma State University

B: For those of you with degrees, do you directly use your degree in your field?

Yes

C: given your income vs college debt (if any), or the overall expense in general, was your time in college worth it in the big picture ?

BBA No debt, lived with my mom and worked my way through. Worth it? Yes.
                            MS No debt, Used the GI Bill while working. Worth it? Yes.

Is all of this needed to be successful? Absolutely not!
                            Last edited by Darton; 05-03-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

A: BSME 1983 (Was it easy? No)
                              B: Yes. Everyday
                              C: Yes
                              Last edited by Monark; 05-03-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                                Sorry, should have clarified fishcst.... These days you will not get hired in my career field without a degree or a ton of experience.

You absolutely do not need to have a college degree to be successful in lots of field however.
                                No problem! I completely understand that there a ton of careers that it's a must to have a college education and rightly so. Luckily we live in Texas and have a ton of high paying jobs that do not require a high education requirement. I'm in the oil and gas industry with no college education. I am dating a girl that is 2 weeks away from graduating dental school. She put in 8 long grinding years of college to get where she is at and could not be more proud of her. Luckily she had scholarships to cover her undergrad completely. Dental school is a different story so we have a pretty penny to payback in financial aid, but it's all worth it in the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X