East Texas hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas hunting

Was able to score a spot on the lease with my grandpa this year. We are located in patroon.

Looking into doing a food plot 25 yard by 50 yard long as well as dropping a feeder down near a creek roughly 80 yards from the plot. I am thinking to set up the bow stand at the food plot and rifle stand/ground bling near the creek area. The creek area is down hill from where my rifle stand will be 60 yards away or so?

Looking for any tips for this off season on how to get setup, what and what not to do, does my plan sounds reasonable? I will be going up about once every couple weeks, hoping my cellular cameras get signal so I can see whats going on without making the drive. I plan to set the feeder to run closer to summer time, roughly 3 months before season.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I am assuming when you say "Patroon" its the area close to Alexander's Store and the area along SH 87 (Sabine/Shelby County)?

If so, we own land south a piece from there. Very good genetics and great deer taken from that area each year. Lots of National Forest in that area with some very spooky deer. Dad and Uncle plant food plots each year consisting of a variety of peas, oats and turnips. Started early on by breaking up multiple small plots but learned quickly, bigger the plot better it drew deer.

We have tried conventional corn feeders and have never had much luck with them. Deer seem super spooky of them and hogs will wear them out. The thing that has worked best for us is feeder pens and hand corning within them. And yes, we tried the feeders in the pens, but deer would not have it. Took the feeders out and dumped corn in the pen.........deer jumped in and ate.

Hope that helps and best of luck to you.

Rwc

Comment

That’s exactly where I’m at. So when you say you got rid of the feeders, do you just dump some corn the morning and evening before opening day?

Comment

Be mindful of how the actual wind-drift occurs in that creek bottom up to the food plot, not just the measured wind direction from the news or weather app because it's nearly never exactly the same in my neck of the woods. Basically swirls under certain conditions so getting action can be tough if you don't do your homework ahead of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Thad00 View Post
          That’s exactly where I’m at. So when you say you got rid of the feeders, do you just dump some corn the morning and evening before opening day?
          Well kind of, before my Dad and uncle retired they would dump feed whenever they were there. Now that they are retired and uncle lives there and Dad spends allot more time, feed is dumped pretty regular all year.

But hands down, the food plots are the best draw year end and year out, especially mid December until Mid to end of February.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
          X