• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats. Beautiful animal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on a fabulous buck!!!
      Give me a shot in 60 days and we will get it measured.

Comment

Congrats on connecting on a great Buck. Love the mass.

Comment

Dang, that’s a beauty! Congratulations!

Comment

Great buck...congrats

Comment

WOW.

Congrats to you, sir.

Comment

Lifetime buck right there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congratulations to you on a monster buck! Way to stay after him.

Comment

Nice one!!

Comment

Wow... stud of a buck.

Comment

Grayson County Beast fell tonight.

Originally posted by caseys95m3 View Post
                          Would love to read a play-by-play on this bruiser.

Originally posted by blide View Post
                          Yes! Congrats man. I hunted this morning and didn't see anything!

Also I thought about you the other day, but lost your number.

I'm chasing one myself right now and you just gave me hope to get back in there!

Story please!

I’ve seen a grand total of one deer in my last 10 hunts before tonight. It was like a switch flipped and they were all over from the time I sat down till the time I let the arrow go.

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                          If you get a chance write up a good story.

Congrats on an awesome deer.

Sent from my iPhone

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                          Dang! What’s the story on that big boy??

The evening started about 3PM when I sat down just to the East of creek that our deer travel North(from their bedding) to South(To an Oat Field they feed all night on). I initially set out to hunt this buck. I’ve passed on him the last 2 years hoping he’d become a 200”er one day.

But, he must have peaked last year because I think he is about the same as he was last season. Really disappointing because I thought he was the one that could do it. In any case, I decided this was his year and we’ve been playing cat and mouse all season long. We could just never get on the same schedule. He had good mass, cool split g3, and long mains. I thought about hunting him yesterday evening but decided against it because I got behind working and I felt it was too late to get out there. I’m glad I didn’t force the issue and hunt him because he showed at 4:15 yesterday evening, right about the time I would’ve been walking up to hunt. I was kicking myself for missing. But, gotta make the money to pay for the place every month. Lol.

So, I decided that today would be the day I’d take him out. I played it all in my mind, he’d walk right in same way he did yesterday and that would be it. He’s my most patternable shooter, no way he’d miss today.

I sat down about 3PM and was listening to the birds chirp. The North wind in my face. Absolutely perfect for an afternoon hunt in this setup. Watching squirrels fight over the hand corn I placed on my walk in. It wasn’t long before a small 8 roamed in to the corn, or tried at least. Before he could get all the way to me a young buck, 10 point, that has broke every one of his points except his main beam and one brow time bullied the little 8 back to the North towards bedding. The broke up buck settled in on the hand corn and was eating everything he could. 4:15 came, no shooter. I was distraught. It was the perfect evening, perfect wind, I got to the stand before the deer. I did everything right. I watched the broke up deer just happy to be seeing something since I’d only seen one deer the last 10 hunts.

About 4:45 the broke up deer began looking West across the creek. He stood motionless staring for what seemed like a few minutes then sort of went back to eating. I figured, must be that little 8 trying to skirt him and avoid the confrontation. I could hear an animal walking around in the dead leaves. But, I couldn’t see the deer on the trail because it was blocked by a large tree basically right on up to the edge of the creek. I didn’t think anything of it. Just figured I’d hear the footsteps fade off to my south, hoping the little buck didn’t wind me when he circled my set. But the footsteps never faded. They would go on for few seconds, drawing closer, then stop for about a minute or so. Every time they’d stop the little broken buck would glance over there casually. I don’t think that buck saw the deer either at this point.

5PM comes. I hear the footsteps get really close but, I had turned to face North at that point just assuming that what I was hearing was nothing that would interest me. Suddenly I catch movement right at the edge of the creek out of the corner of my eye. All I can really see around the big tree blocking the trail sight line is a deer hind end on one side, then the ends of main beams poking out of the other. The broke buck at the hand corn looks up and his whole body language changes from I own these woods, to oh no, this is a Deer that can whoop me all up and down this creek bed. I start to feel my heart pickup it’s pace. I begin to realize this isn’t the small deer I thought was over there. I think the broke up buck and I realized this fact at the exact same moment.

It was a stand off. I’m watching the buck behind the tree, almost trying to will him with my mind out onto the Western edge of the creek so that I can see what he is. My heart is thumping at this point. I’m afraid one of these two deer is going to see me as I try to control my breathing. The broke buck is standing on the East side of the creek with me staring right at this buck, motionless. I think all three of us were trying to figure out the next move. Finally the broke buck goes back to feeding since the other buck has not advanced any. Wrong move. I guess this big buck doesn’t like being ignored. He lets out the deepest snort-wheeze I’ve ever heard. I’m talking bone chilling. Even I was sort of intimidated. When that happened the broke buck takes off running directly East. He wanted nothing to do with his challenger.

That’s when I got the first look at my target. I didn’t immediately recognize who the buck was. All I knew was at that point is I saw a giant frame, massive main beams and I could tell his front end looked mature. He has exposed about half his body and I’ve got a semi quartering-to shot. I decide to ensure that I don’t have a long night of tracking that I need to wait until he comes across the creek after the broke buck. Or is he wants to stay on the West side of the creek I need him to turn giving me a direct broad side, even better yet a quartering away shot. I glanced down at my watch, plenty of daylight, it’s 5:05PM. I wait, I wait, the buck stands there motionless watching where the broke buck fled to. It’s 5:10PM, my heart is pounding even harder as I realize the actual size of the buck standing 30 yards from me. I’ve never seen a Deer be this methodical and cautious moving in my life. It was nerve racking. I’ve never had to watch a shooter deer so long in my life.

The big buck finally commits to come across the creek. He gets about halfway, decides nevermind, that little broke buck isn’t worth it. When he goes to turn around I bring my bow to the ready position. The buck walks out of the shallow water and up the bank. Right as he is about to reach the top and walk behind the big tree, never to be seen again, I grunt, he looks back to the East, I send the arrow. I watch as the arrow disappears into the 2nd or 3rd rib back as he is quartering away at this point. I immediately know it is fatal. The buck mule kicks, and runs down the trail he came in on, disappearing behind the big tree he’s seemingly appeared out of nowhere from behind. I let out a loud sigh of relief. It’s all finally come together. I made the shot I needed to make. I let him sit for about 10 mins sending out a text message to a buddy that lives up the hill to come help me trail/load the buck.

I felt with the shot I made it was safe to go look after 30 mins. We get over to the area of the shot. Immediately there is a large blood spot where the exit wound blew out his opposite side. I look down the trail and there he lay, just as he exited the woods to cross the field heading back West, he expired about 30 yards from the impact. The rest is what you see in the pics. Buck of a lifetime, hunt of a lifetime. This is an evening I shall never forget. Thanks everyone for the compliments and congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Last edited by SB09; 12-17-2019, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Congratulations on a giant buck!

Comment

congrats!! That dudes a hoss

Comment

Great write up. That’s a great story.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Working...
                                X