Energy Bill HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
    The graph looks like something is cycling on every 30 minutes from 9:45 to the rest of the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what it seems... Despite AC being off and nobody home.

The plan was to turn off the main for a few minutes and see if its reflected in the graph. Though, that would take 48 hours as reports aren't compiled in real-time. One that reached out suggested turning lights on and then cutting power. If lights are still on, lines are crossed somewhere. If lights go off...

Then i will monitor the meter as i go breaker by breaker until the virtual revolving disk (idk what it's called) slows down indicating less draw. That way we can isolate the faulty appliance drawing the power (most likely drier or AC despite being off). I reached out to maintenance to do this with me so that I can keep them in the loop.

Comment

That graph is a heater or water heater signature. May or may not be your's.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
        That graph is a heater or water heater signature. May or may not be your's.
        Did a quick google on water heater efficiency. I'd be willing to bet it is FULL of sediment. This apt has the WORST water quality I've ever experienced. I have a pot that I use solely for Sous Vide and after one use, I have to scrub the calcification from the side. I bought an aftermarket shower filter that I have to change monthly. Otherwise, you smell as if you've been swimming in the pool all day.

IDK if it's the root cause but it cant help.

Comment

Got home and took a look at the water heater. The runoff line is warm to the touch. I’m no plumber but it seems I’m continuously warming water I’m not using... Maintenance is coming by tomorrow to inspect it.

Comment

Found my meter and flipped the breaker. Ran around the corner and verified that the porch lights turned off. I am, in fact, paying for my own meter... Hoping the water heater is the culprit.

Comment

Your water heater will have 4 to 6 kw elements. I would think the spikes would be higher than .4 kw for the water heater. Unless I am reading this wrong.

A 5 kw element on for an hour would be 5 kilowatt hours, correct?

But a water heater running water out the t&p valve would definitely cause a high power usage. But it could also cause low water temps also. Plumbing can be cross connected to another apt also.
              Last edited by double bogey; 01-09-2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Take your plug covers off on walls that you share with your neighbors. Look into the back of box with a flashlight to see if the back of the box is cut off. If so then your neighbor tapped into your plug from the back side and is stealing power. I had a guy doing that in a apartment I lived in once. He was stealing power from 3 different units.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Energy Bill HELP!

What did you figure out?

Comment

Each unit has individual water heaters. Mine was running (and heating) nonstop for months. Maintenance manager agreed that this would cause high bills and is replacing the entire unit today or tomorrow. Now that I think about it, water temps haven't been what they used to be. I find myself continuously turning up the heat and it is maxed out by the end of my 5-10 min shower. For the record, I requested them to do a walk-through to inspect appliances in Nov...

For the last year, water has been pooling in the area beneath my balcony (3rd floor). So much so that the apt trenched in some conduit and installed a drain. Turns out it was my water heater flooding the area. So in addition to extremely high energy bill, water usage was off the charts. Fortunately (for me), we have community water.

Initially, the complex manager said she'd try to help if it was, in fact, a faulty appliance causing the issues. Given my previous interactions with them and the fact that I have already given my 60-day move-out notice, I'm not expecting much help. But at least we figured out the issue.
                    Last edited by BlackHogDown; 01-15-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Just saw this and as I was reading through knew exactly what it was. I fought this same thing a month ago in my house. The bottom element of the water heater went out causing a crazy cycling around the clock. We had about 1/4 of the volume of hot water. Anytime you used hot water it would use excessive energy. I have learned my electricity use so well that I can look at a chart and know exactly what my wife did during the day.

Comment

Working...
                      X