Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy Bill HELP!

Stream Energy - SmartMeter

I live in a 750sqft apt. Just me and my dog. This past summer, I noticed my energy bill climbing. I chalked it up to a warmer summer than that of last year. Come October, I expected my bill to start decreasing as AC use did...

Oct 2018: $98
    Oct 2019: $190

Called and asked ***. They said that I used 1100KW (don't remember exact number. Dont do the math). "I know that's what it says but it cant be right. No way i used more than double the energy than the same month in 2018!" I asked if there was any way the meter was wrong and they said no.

November: I took further measures to lower my energy bill. Unplugged remaining "vampire" appliances. Water cooler, dehumidifier, etc. Again expected the bill to go down. Quite the opposite. $225 Over double that from Nov2018. Called again and went through the same conversation. "Go to this website to learn how to reduce your energy consumption..." I KNOW! I used my AC 5 days that month and was unplugging appliances every day! Finally explained to someone that there is no way i am using 1600 kwhr of energy in a one bedroom apt with one person. Especially given the measures i'm taking to reduce energy consumption.

We filed for an in-house "re-read" (rather than centerpoint re-read) despite the fact that I'd be on the hook for the cost of "anywhere from $20-$200 on (my) next bill if it is, in fact, correct." Never heard anything from them so i assumed good news.

December: $245! I literally used the AC/heater 3 times all month and was gone the entire week of christmas!

What options do i have? My nextdoor neighbor has a wife and two kids in a 3br and his bill is a fraction of mine with the same provider. In 2018, when bills were low, I paid NO mind to energy consumption. So how am i using double now that I'm not using AC and taking these preventative measures?

Someone help a brotha out! When i call, they give me the stupid comments "Well your billing cycle is 28-28th. Not 1st-1st Maybe that is your confusion.... Have you tried unplugging unnecessary appliances?..."

Yes, I know I can lower my rate a bit by resigning my recently expired contract but why would I, given this experience? (moving in 2 months) My issue isn't cost. It's the amount of energy for which they are charging me. What are my options, if any? Something is obviously wrong!

Wrong meter is tied to your account. Is it a digital meter?

Comment

Shut your main breaker off and see if the meter stops.
      Take a meter read everyday to see if it spikes on certain days.
      Maybe your neighbor is plugging into one of your outside plugs...this happened to me. It was a rental house neighbor.

Comment

You’re only telling us your $ bill, you need to be looking at how many KW you used during the billing cycle. Maybe your rate has just doubled in the time period. Which would be a separate issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Horns1 View Post
          You’re only telling us your $ bill, you need to be looking at how many KW you used during the billing cycle. Maybe your rate has just doubled in the time period. Which would be a separate issue

Yup, could be a promotional rate that expired

Comment

Was a new meter installed by chance? I've read about newer meters giving false readings.

Comment

Originally posted by Horns1 View Post

Y’all completely missed the point.

My energy consumption in kwhr has more than doubled. I specifically said that my concern isn’t dollar amt. it’s the energy they are saying I am using. 1600kwhr compared to 750 the same month the previous year while using all the same appliances.

Yes promotional rate expired. My $225 November bill would’ve been $170 at previous rate. Again. Not what I’m disputing. Regardless of what it costs, no way I used 1600 kwhr.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                Was a new meter installed by chance? I've read about newer meters giving false readings.

Not that I am aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                  Wrong meter is tied to your account. Is it a digital meter?

“Smart meter”. Yes sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                    Yup, could be a promotional rate that expired

Last paragraph of OP

Comment

do you have access to see the numbers on your meter to confirm they are correct?

Comment

Someone may be tapped into your meter somewhere. Like someone said, I would turn off breakers and go see if meter is still running. Not the main breaker though, leave it on and see if someone is plugged into an outlet etc...that is being billed to your account.

Comment

Someone has tied into yours. I knew a guy that talked about doing that a decade ago. Apartments are easier to do that in than a single family residential home.

Comment

Start turning breakers off. I have seen a few apts that were not wired correctly. Sounds like someone else is tied into your meter. Start with the 2 pole breakers. If you can turn one off and everything still works in your apt, then leave it off. Also do what was mentioned above, turn your main breaker off and see if your meter is registering power use.
                            1600kw for a 1 bedroom apt is insane. My 1100 sq. ft poorly insulated house doesn't use that much in the middle of the summer.

Comment

Probably a neighbor mining bitcoins with your electricity

Comment

Working...
                              X