• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DoubleTap 62 grain TSX

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
      These are on sale right now about $18/box

Just for comparison the fusion normally runs 18-20 a box when NOT on sale but that’s not uncommon for anything with Barnes name on it.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
        Thanks duckhunter. What is that Federal ammo specifically? Like name on box or picture, I’m getting old. Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Just to clarify- federal makes a wide range of LE ammo- both 62 AND 64 grain.

Here is the stuff I tested- https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...l-p-58967.aspx

T223L is the model— and it is a Nosler 64gr bonded flat base bullet, not a 62gr normal soft point. It runs $15/box

Based off others experiences it sounds like the 62gr could be an excellent choice as well!!

Comment

Ive been having good results with the Federal 55 gain Power Shok.

Comment

223/5.56 ammo for deer and hog hunting

Pretty much any soft point and preferably boded Bullet is preferred. Federal used to make a 62 grain bear claw load that was perfect for 2.23/5.56 on medium size game.

This current loading would be a great choice as well.

Shopping for the Nosler Partition - Learn more about the latest Nosler Partition and other hunting or shooting gear at Federal Ammunition.

IMO the Partition or Swift A Frame Bullets are the perfect medium game Bullet. You get great expansion along with a sold base for penetration. I just wish they would come up with a polymer tip for them.

Please just avoid ballistic tip varmint style bullets. Will they kill? Yes as long as conditions and shot placement are perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Last edited by Mike D; 12-30-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
              Here is some data, do with it as you please!

Fired TODAY (12/29/19) from a 16" 1-7 twist, Noveske w/ 1-6x
              Temp: 50F Wind: 8mph SW Humidity: 75% (no rain)

Winchester 50gr Ballistic Silvertip (G1 .267, length .810" advertised @ 3410fps)
              3110, 3115, 3133 fps

Winchester 64gr Bonded Solid Base (G1 .230, length .787" advertised @2935fps)
              2774, 2784, 2799 fps

Federal 64gr Bonded (certain its the same bullet, different powder/primer) (G1. 230, length .787" advertised @3050fps)
              2900, 2923, 2932

Hornady Superformance 73gr ELDM (G1 .398, Length 1.046" advertised @ 2935fps)
              2751, 2826, 2821

As you can see all were significantly slower than advertised with the Federal and Hornady being closest to "As advertised".

All 4 shot 1" or better 3rd groups at 100 yards. BOTH Win and Fed 64 shot the same POI. The Hornady was within an inch and the Win BST was 2" high (and 300+fps faster)

I've run the Hornady Superformance to 400 yards with my 1-6x BDC to learn my holds and it was very, VERY consistent. I was shocked at the deviation in velocity BUT it could be a fluke as even a small amount of that Hornady powder would cause some swings. More testing.

TERMINAL- The Hornady is the only one of the four that I have tried on game--The 73gr ELDM absolutely crushed my biggest free range buck ever about two weeks ago, left a fantastic, Stevie Wonder bloodtrail for 30 yards-- 200 yard shot (impact velocity around 2350fps and 875ft/lbs) I then smoked two small 75lb pigs on the way out both of which were headshot and DRT @ 25 yards.

The Federal 64gr BSB (a Nosler bullet BTW) is a law enforcement favorite and has favorable reviews and gel/barrier test results-- given the accuracy it provided and solid velocities I wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer or eating size pigs.

I'm guessing their advertised velocity was tested with a 24 or 26 inch barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                Winchester 64 grain Hog Special is the best I have found.
                This is what my AR likes the best.

Comment

My Bushmaster loves the Speer Gold Dot LE ammunition with the 75 grain Gold Dot. It shoots sub MOA and I used it this weekend to kill a couple of javi's at about 60 yards. DRT. I used to use the Winchester Ranger 64 grain PowerPoint and I've killed several axis, both bucks and does with it. The does were complete pass-throughs, but the bucks were not. None of them traveled over 30 yards.

Comment

First choice: Speer Gold Dot 75Gr.
                    Second choice: Federal Fusion 62Gr.

Comment

69 gr Sierra matchking in front of 24.5 grs of Varget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another vote for the 75 grain Gold Dot. It's been very accurate/consistent in every rifle I have shot it in, and works great on both hogs and deer.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                          Winchester 64 grain Hog Special is the best I have found.
                          FWIW - I've used that ammo with good effect on deer and turkeys.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

223/5.56 ammo for deer and hog hunting

[QUOTE=BDKeeling
                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Whoa! How big is that

Comment

Originally posted by BDKeeling View Post

Looks like you found another one that didn’t get the memo.[emoji6]

Good shooting. How much did it weigh?

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                                Looks like you found another one that didn’t get the memo.[emoji6]

Good shooting. How much did it weigh?

He weighed 335 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X