223/5.56 ammo for deer and hog hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

223/5.56 ammo for deer and hog hunting

What are y’all using? I have always just shot 55gr Remington core lokt psp, but I’m not finding them in stock anywhere. Any recommendations for a factory cartridge with controlled expansion bullet? Something that will penetrate, perhaps heavier than 55gr?

Not sure of your barrel twist but I like the 62 grain Federal Fusion.

Comment

I second the fusion

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Winchester 64 grain Hog Special is the best I have found.

Comment

Fusion here but any bonded round will work with a second favorite of mine being the Hornady interlock bullets.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I like the 55 grain Barnes TSX

Comment

My daughter has killed several deer and a big boar with Barnes TSX. It works!

Comment

Originally posted by Lampasas View Post
                I like the 55 grain Barnes TSX
                These are on sale right now about $18/box

Comment

They have the Rem 55 grain PSP that you have been using at Bass Pro in Katy
                  That has been a good deer hunting round for my grandson.

Comment

Just picked up a box of Nosler 55gn ballistic tips. I’ve used the Hornady 75gn but, I haven’t tested them on pigs yet.

Comment

One word........gold dots ........

Comment

Here is some data, do with it as you please!

Fired TODAY (12/29/19) from a 16" 1-7 twist, Noveske w/ 1-6x
                        Temp: 50F Wind: 8mph SW Humidity: 75% (no rain)

Winchester 50gr Ballistic Silvertip (G1 .267, length .810" advertised @ 3410fps)
                        3110, 3115, 3133 fps

Winchester 64gr Bonded Solid Base (G1 .230, length .787" advertised @2935fps)
                        2774, 2784, 2799 fps

Federal 64gr Bonded (certain its the same bullet, different powder/primer) (G1. 230, length .787" advertised @3050fps)
                        2900, 2923, 2932

Hornady Superformance 73gr ELDM (G1 .398, Length 1.046" advertised @ 2935fps)
                        2751, 2826, 2821

As you can see all were significantly slower than advertised with the Federal and Hornady being closest to "As advertised".

All 4 shot 1" or better 3rd groups at 100 yards. BOTH Win and Fed 64 shot the same POI. The Hornady was within an inch and the Win BST was 2" high (and 300+fps faster)

I've run the Hornady Superformance to 400 yards with my 1-6x BDC to learn my holds and it was very, VERY consistent. I was shocked at the deviation in velocity BUT it could be a fluke as even a small amount of that Hornady powder would cause some swings. More testing.

TERMINAL- The Hornady is the only one of the four that I have tried on game--The 73gr ELDM absolutely crushed my biggest free range buck ever about two weeks ago, left a fantastic, Stevie Wonder bloodtrail for 30 yards-- 200 yard shot (impact velocity around 2350fps and 875ft/lbs) I then smoked two small 75lb pigs on the way out both of which were headshot and DRT @ 25 yards.

The Federal 64gr BSB (a Nosler bullet BTW) is a law enforcement favorite and has favorable reviews and gel/barrier test results-- given the accuracy it provided and solid velocities I wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer or eating size pigs.

Comment

Thanks duckhunter. What is that Federal ammo specifically? Like name on box or picture, I’m getting old. Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot Federal 62gr bonded soft point Law Enforcement round. Load number is LE223T3.

It is designed to both penetrate and expand.

My fartherest shot ever on a deer was 117 yards with that round. It was quartering at me and my shot went through the ball on the left shoulder, the heart and both lungs and came out the other side with about a 50 caliber hole.

I am curious if the Federal 62gr Fusion is the same bonded round but not LE labeled. Anyway, I have not tried the others but I can guarantee this one works. I’m sure that some of the others are great.

The last few deer that I have killed with a rifle have been with this round. None have gone more than 20 yards and each had a large exit hole. The round is designed to go through car windshields, plywood, wallboard and other barriers while still penetrating deep and expanding to an average of over .40 through all barriers. So far deer ribs and shoulder bones have not fared very well either.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                              I shoot Federal 62gr bonded soft point Law Enforcement round. Load number is LE223T3.

I am curious if the Federal 62gr Fusion is the same bonded round but not LE labeled. Anyway, I have not tried the others but I can guarantee this one works. I’m sure that some of the others are great.

I can confirm that it is. Was provided the info by a Hornady employee that had first hand knowledge of such info. It’s cheaper cause it doesn’t have a nickel case and doesn’t say tactical [emoji16]

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X