Clear All

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
    Oh, then the answer is 3.5 years old.
    Lol.. this deer should be 6.5 plus..

Comment

Send me the jaw and I will tell you for only $50

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
        That is what they do. In my experience this method is no more effective than our guesses. If you are asking if I have ever personally cut a tooth, then no.

It is widely known to be inaccurate. And in my opinion it’s a waste of $$.

This is what I have experienced. It simply is no more accurate than our guesses.
        Actually for the right areas it works very accurately. The layers are only formed in climates with extremes in seasons, say warm springs and summers with extreme cold in winter. The WG&F lab has done studies with known deer ages and compared their results to the lab in Montana, on their known age deer. Our lab was much more accurate with their results.
        It will not work for your southern climate deer.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
          Actually for the right areas it works very accurately. The layers are only formed in climates with extremes in seasons, say warm springs and summers with extreme cold in winter. The WG&F lab has done studies with known deer ages and compared their results to the lab in Montana, on their known age deer. Our lab was much more accurate with their results.
          It will not work for your southern climate deer.
          In these certain areas you speak of, is tooth wear aging accurate?

Comment

As explained to me by the gal that does the aging for WG&F, any area with extreme season changes can have accurate aging on teeth by the cementum. Mainly not in the South as she explained it. Our animals have very different diets over winter as compared to the growing season.
            Since they use this method, contact the Lab that wrote the book so to speak: https://matsonslab.com/

Comment

What does it matter? It is a dead deer so not getting any younger or older

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                What does it matter? It is a dead deer so not getting any younger or older
                If you are trying to manage a ranch to grow top end LF deer it is huge - shooting bucks before their prime (6-8 years old) is critical to the long term quality of deer you will grow -

I saw a 175 inch 9 point a few years ago. I knew he was only 5 years old. Hard to let him walk but I did. The next year he added 21 inches of horn at age 6 - scored 201 inches and made the Boone and Crockett book.

A dead deer has never grown another single inch of horn

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                  If you are trying to manage a ranch to grow top end LF deer it is huge - shooting bucks before their prime (6-8 years old) is critical to the long term quality of deer you will grow -

I saw a 175 inch 9 point a few years ago. I knew he was only 5 years old. Hard to let him walk but I did. The next year he added 21 inches of horn at age 6 - scored 201 inches and made the Boone and Crockett book.

A dead deer has never grown another single inch of horn
                  Hunting sure has changed for a lot of people the last 20 years

Comment

Just post a picture here and we theTBH Pro's will get it pretty close fer free!

Comment

Take it to your local biologist they should be able to tell you for free

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                        Take it to your local biologist they should be able to tell you for free

According to this study a biologist can’t tell with any accuracy after 3 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
                          Actual scientific studies have been conducted that demonstrate the inaccuracy of the tooth replacement wear (TRW) and cementum annuli (CA) methods. As others have said, the TRW method is highly inaccurate the older they are. The CA method is more accurate, but only averages around 60% when attempting to determine exact year age.

Results of one study:

[ATTACH]980913[/ATTACH]
                          I have posted this info, sans the chart, several times but folks believe what they want to I guess. I read that several years ago in Deer and Deer Hunting mag I think.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                            Hunting sure has changed for a lot of people the last 20 years
                            Yes Sir you are correct - like it or not it has changed and will continue to change - not saying I like it but it is the natural progression of life
                            Last edited by Huntingfool; 11-19-2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                              According to this study a biologist can’t tell with any accuracy after 3 years old

There was another study done some years back. They took bucks of known ages and asked top end Biologist to age them by tooth wear. Results were they were not even close on most estimates (under 50% accuracy if I remember correctly).

Part of what has changed is protein - it does not wear teeth down anywhere near how natural browse wears them down.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                                Part of what has changed is protein - it does not wear teeth down anywhere near how natural browse wears them down.

This is the reason I use CA. Every year I send in the teeth and I always get the same answer that I come up with from my field judging and notes and photos from previous years.

Comment

Working...
                                X