No announcement yet.

Who eats wild boar hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never tried a big boar killed out west, but in east Texas river bottoms, a hog, boar or sow that is quickly killed that is fat on acorns is the best pork you'll ever pass over your lips! They're just like feed lot pigs that are fed grain to fatten 'em up. I think people are crazy for dumping a dead hog just because he's a boar... the loins off a 250+ boar will make pork chops that you'll fight over at the table and the hams will be good and tender... generally I've found that fat meat with a little aging will be tender and tasty...

Comment

My deal is I hate having to handle the filthy stinking things. In my younger days I killed the hell out of them and ate them all. I am not that hungry anymore I guess. These days its gut shoot and let run off.

Comment

Originally posted by blaqkpanda View Post
        My go to meal is just a crockpot with onions and bbq sauce.
        Care to share more details on how you cooked the pork?

Comment

I dont waste any pig...

Comment

150 pounds is my cut off. Let him sit in ice for 6 days.

Comment

Some of those big boars are the finest eating imo. Have ate em up to 280 pounds and it was awesome. Ribs sausage boudin crock pot meals ect.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                NOt me, but I don't eat any of them. Coyotes and buzzards eat well around my place.
                This...

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                  This...
                  x3

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                    Care to share more details on how you cooked the pork?
                    Season the meat with black pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar, paprika. You can sear it if you would like, but I haven't noticed much of a difference. My favorite was 1 jar of Better Than Good Hellfire sauce and 1 jar of Better Than Good Texas Moppin' Sauce. They discontinued the hellfire, so now I use the moppin' sauce and any other spicy bbq sauce. Chop an onion and mix with the sauce. You can also saute the onion with garlic if you want before mixing with the sauce. I cook on low for ~8 hours. If you can pull apart the pork while it's cooking, I recommend that, but I put it on and then go to work so it's ready when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                      Small ones are fine. The big ones I usually just pull the backstraps in the field. I have eaten some 250+ pounders that were fine my old *** just doesn't want to clean them anymore.
                      We do the same, always take at least the straps, on every pig we kill.

Comment

We keep all Sows but if a boar is over 50lbs he goes to the gut pile. Tried about a 100lb Boar couldnt stand the smell or taste.

Comment

Not me, nor sows, nor pigs.

Comment

I had always been told that the big boars were no good.

I had a redneck buddy from Florida come out to the lease in West Texas. He shoots a big boar hog (207 live weight). I was surprised when cleaned it and stuck it in a cooler. He said he eats them if when you walk up they don't smell too rutted up. He gave me some ground meat, some backstrap, and a roast off the ham and they were all very good.

Generally speaking, I don't want to eff with them though.

Most of the pigs trapped and sold to a slaughter facility here in Texas will get exported to Germany where they want the biggest most rutted up boars they can find. They love them.

Comment

I’ll eat the boars that are under about 100#, as long as they don’t stink. Sows are always good to eat.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

They taste great if you brine them for 24 hours prior to cooking them. I usually smoke 'em long & slow with mesquite or hickory wood.

Comment

Working...
                                X