No announcement yet.

Road base cost$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your okie calling road base? Make sure he is getting material that is TXdot or Odot approved.

The material used for base for an asphalt road is a lot different than gravel for a private road. More fines, certain gradations, etc.

You can pull TXDOT standard asphalt sections and material specs online I believe. I think you want TXDOT flex base.

Paving subs weigh in?

If you ultimately want asphalt you’ll probably want to use Geogrid on top of flexbase to make asphalt topping thin as possible as you probably don’t want to grade or mess with sub grade treatment.

Might not hurt to ask some engineers/geotechs for recs?

Sure local guys that do this all the time have way better input. Just thoughts on paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
      Dale, this is my first rodeo as far as roads go.

I used an online calculator to get tons. I have approx 3000 feet of new road thru my land. I started with mulcher and he got about 1000 feet cleared and ready for dozer to shape and remove stumps. He cant go much further as it turns to rock and elevations.

Meeting a road builder later in week to discuss final route and clearing. Thought I would hire out the base separate.

I need a good base to start. Plan is to black top it after house is built and all contractors and equipment are gone.

Not ready to hear what the black top will cost...
      No....no you aren’t. Trust me

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      As I'm sure you know, there are about a thousand stone (the kind that goes on the front of your house) quarries just east of there. I'm not sure of any that are crushing waste material, but if there are they may be motivated to get rich a bunch.
      FIFY

Good luck Sean...sounds like you have a plan. Part of that plan involves an open checkbook

Comment

Need a good price in some geotextile fabric....?? I’ll happily give you a killer price on a mile of fabric or grid.
        Justin
        409-782-2691
        Last edited by JLivi1224; 01-28-2020, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
          Need a good price in some geotextile fabric....?? I’ll happily give you a killer price on a mile of fabric or grid.
          Justin
          409-782-2691

Absolutely, let me meet with contractor later in week. I will be in touch.

Sean
          469-544-4836

I realize this will be an expensive driveway. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
            What is your okie calling road base? Make sure he is getting material that is TXdot or Odot approved.

The material used for base for an asphalt road is a lot different than gravel for a private road. More fines, certain gradations, etc.

You can pull TXDOT standard asphalt sections and material specs online I believe. I think you want TXDOT flex base.

Paving subs weigh in?

If you ultimately want asphalt you’ll probably want to use Geogrid on top of flexbase to make asphalt topping thin as possible as you probably don’t want to grade or mess with sub grade treatment.

Sure local guys that do this all the time have way better input. Just thoughts on paper

Very helpful, from all of you. I will asking now that I know what to ask.

Comment

Road base is usually about $8.40 per ton not counting deliver, which will be about the same. You should get a better price with that much base( 50 belly dump trucks loads). If you want it to last for a while you are going to need to grade it, water it, compact it, and grade it again. If not you are just pissing in the wind.

Comment

I need 1000 tons in Eufaula, OK. Yes 1000 tons...for a 1 mile road.

Best quote is 17.50 ton delivered and spread from a truck dump bed. No tractor work.

Is this a good price?
                Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                Road base is usually about $8.40 per ton not counting deliver, which will be about the same. You should get a better price with that much base( 50 belly dump trucks loads). If you want it to last for a while you are going to need to grade it, water it, compact it, and grade it again. If not you are just pissing in the wind.
                If a belly dump holds 20 tons and his quote would equal $350 per load That's a good price from what I've seen.

I was quoted $275 for the smaller dump truck. Not sure how many tons it holds though. How much bigger is a belly dump truck?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  If a belly dump holds 20 tons and his quote would equal $350 per load That's a good price from what I've seen.

I was quoted $275 for the smaller dump truck. Not sure how many tons it holds though. How much bigger is a belly dump truck?
                  Almost 13 tons. Your operator will love a belly dumps. Your gonna be spending some coin. Make sure dirt work is done proper before any materials hitting the dirt. Ditches pulled, water ways, tinhorns laid and a good crown. This will all be very important to the life of blacktop.

Comment

Ask your home builder for referrals. Or the local concrete plant for wash out. See if you can get a deal on the base if you use them for the foundation and flatwork. I'm a home builder and I have referrals for my area I work in. And I'd hustle to find options if I were him and you awarded me the contract.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Couple things. First you are going to need closer to 2200 tons. 5280 feet x 10 feet wide=52800 square feet x .5(6" depth of base) = 26400 cubic feet ÷ 27 = 978 cubic yards x 2.2(base conversion rate) = 2151 tons.

Price per ton for base should be a fixed number from manufacturer. Hauling will be done by ton with mileage being the major factor.

You will need a tractor to spread material evenly. there is not a truck that can do that. It wouldn't hurt to have a compactor to roll over base after placing it down. To do it properly you will need to compact the sub grade first. Then place the base down evenly, add water and compact. I wouldn't go less than 6" on base and if I was doing it I'd be at 8" to 9" if I was planning on asphalting. My two cents are dont asphalt if you dont build the sub grade correctly as it will fall apart in short time.
                      Last edited by Take Dead Aim; 01-28-2020, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post

Paving subs weigh in?

This right here, and ask for all scale tickets, check date and times some people will cut flex base with foam or concrete wash to better there profits, most all belly dumps should be 22-24 tons, if you are building new roads 1 belly dump should get you about 90ft long 12ft wide and around 5 inchs deep

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok what's a good sub base?

I dont plan to asphalt for maybe 4 to 5 years from now.

I have a good tractor there with a box blade.

I have no problem paying what's its worth, I only want to do this process one time.

Comment

End dump or belly dump should be around $100-$110 per hour

Comment

Base should be around $6-8 per ton depending on base type at the plant.

Comment

Ok what's a good sub base?

I dont plan to asphalt for maybe 4 to 5 years from now.

I have a good tractor there with a box blade.

I have no problem paying what's its worth, I only want to do this process one time.

Not an expert on okie soils. If I was doing it would say lime/cement stabilized 6” of native ground and complete to 95-100% max density geotech lab can test your soils. . I have seen crews in Mexico literally dump out bags of cement and disk that ish in. Cost prohibitive to get lime slurry machine.

You will need to grade and compact native soil at minimum.

BUT whatever you do now will not hold up on 4-5 years. Kinda of an all or nothing deal, or a “I know I will have to repair/fix my gravel road 4-5 years from now before asphalt)

I am a dumb big box warehouse developer and am not Randy Cody paving sub who politely says half of what I spec is mega overkill.

A local resi asphalt/paving contractor would probably be best bet for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X