Road base cost$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road base cost$

I need 1000 tons in Eufaula, OK. Yes 1000 tons...for a 1 mile road.

Best quote is 17.50 ton delivered and spread from a truck dump bed. No tractor work.

Is this a good price?

Whats road base?

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
      I need 1000 tons in Eufaula, OK. Yes 1000 tons...for a 1 mile road.

Best quote is 17.50 ton delivered and spread from a truck dump bed. No tractor work.

Is this a good price?
      That price is in-line for central Texas. Figured they may give you a little break on the volume you are looking to buy (depending on how far the haul is).

Comment

Depends on how far the quarry is from your location

Comment

I don't know how you priced it, or what the going rate should be.

But with this stuff, I start with a LOCAL owner/operator of an end dump outfit (preferably multiple truck/trailers). Talk to them about what you are doing, and what you expect, and ask their recommendation on material, etc. Many times the nearest rock crusher is a long ways off, so you waste time and fuel. If there's a highway project going on nearby, reclaimed asphalt or something similar can be had much cheaper. He will also have an account with several material suppliers around and be able to negotiate a good price based on volume and who he know.

You're gonna need a tractor man at some point also, and it may be the same guy.

Comment

Just be sure it has good rock mixed in and not a bunch of straight fines. State tested base is what I prefer. Belly dump will make your equipment time quicker on spreading. Not a bad price for my area.

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
              Not sure, I will ask.

Not alot of helpful contractors in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I don't know how you priced it, or what the going rate should be.

But with this stuff, I start with a LOCAL owner/operator of an end dump outfit (preferably multiple truck/trailers). Talk to them about what you are doing, and what you expect, and ask their recommendation on material, etc. Many times the nearest rock crusher is a long ways off, so you waste time and fuel. If there's a highway project going on nearby, reclaimed asphalt or something similar can be had much cheaper. He will also have an account with several material suppliers around and be able to negotiate a good price based on volume and who he know.

You're gonna need a tractor man at some point also, and it may be the same guy.

Dale, this is my first rodeo as far as roads go.

I used an online calculator to get tons. I have approx 3000 feet of new road thru my land. I started with mulcher and he got about 1000 feet cleared and ready for dozer to shape and remove stumps. He cant go much further as it turns to rock and elevations.

Meeting a road builder later in week to discuss final route and clearing. Thought I would hire out the base separate.

I need a good base to start. Plan is to black top it after house is built and all contractors and equipment are gone.

Not ready to hear what the black top will cost...

Comment

Lots of factors on price, but that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
                    This.

Where is it coming from? At that price, I'm guessing 40ish miles away... Dolese, Hartshorne?

Rough numbers would be $10/ton for the material at the source plus $0.22/ton-mile (Miles x .22) for hauling price/ton
                    Last edited by RCDuck; 01-28-2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Recycled Concrete could be an option, there is a rock crusher up there somewhere called Dolese that could be of some help.

As I'm sure you know, there are about a thousand stone (the kind that goes on the front of your house) quarries just east of there. I'm not sure of any that are crushing waste material, but if there are they may be motivated to get rid of a bunch.

Comment

I used an online calculator to get tons. I have approx 3000 feet of new road thru my land. I started with mulcher and he got about 1000 feet cleared and ready for dozer to shape and remove stumps. He cant go much further as it turns to rock and elevations.

Meeting a road builder later in week to discuss final route and clearing. Thought I would hire out the base separate.

I need a good base to start. Plan is to black top it after house is built and all contractors and equipment are gone.

The construction traffic is gonna tear it up enough that someone is gonna have to come in and redo some areas before asphalt.

Comment

Road builder will probably have the best inside track on materials, but keep checking up on him. The good ol boy network is in full effect up there, one guy may try to get rich off you, while his neighbor just needs steady loads....

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            Road builder will probably have the best inside track on materials, but keep checking up on him. The good ol boy network is in full effect up there, one guy may try to get rich off you, while his neighbor just needs steady loads....

Good ol boy lesson learned last week. Getting bids for boat dock and 2 guys within 1K each other, turns out they are buddies. Next guy came in half of those two. Waiting on 4 bid now.

I am a contractor by trade in public, private, and industrial sector. I'm used to everything being qualified on a bid with some sort of specifications. Trying to get contractors in Oklahoma to put a bid on paper qualifying what material and any specifications is challenging. So far everyone wants to deal in text and phone calls most guys don't know how to use a location pin for Google or open a PDF. Its been very frustrating to say the least.

I was gonna build my own house. But after dealing with locals subs, I've picked a very good home builder and going a step away.

Comment

I think I got road base rammed. Guy that did my road had to haul in a load of rock on dump truck and it was 350.00 spread.

Comment

Working...
                              X