Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot to mention I shot off a Caldwell Fieldpod. Rifle was rock steady

Comment

I shoot 25-06 a lot. My favorite shot is slightly quartering away. Through the vitals and dead into the offside shoulder. Some run, some don’t. All die very fast.

I neck shoot a lot of deer, but only when I can have absolute confidence in the shot. Rock solid rest, not crazy long, etc.

Comment

25-06 neck shot

My Dad shot a buck in the neck with a 25-06...7 days later he shot him again...this time in the shoulder.

This was the wound from the first shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Backwoods101; 01-10-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

The doe on the ground was shot in the neck with a 25-06 facing me. I was using factory Hornady 110gr eld-x bullets. Decent hole in the back of her neck. The one hanging was shot behind the shoulder and ran about 30 yards. The neck shot was drt.

Comment

I was headed to the stand one evening and shot an Axis buck in the neck and dropped him. Went on to the stand, finished my evening hunt and drove over to pick up the Axis...he was still breathing...that was the last time aimed for the neck.

I had another indecent where I had to borderline decapitate a doe with a knife because she was still alive after a neck shot.

Now I’m a huge fan of the shoulder

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
              You're doing your son a huge disservice to let him 'refuse' to take good hunting advice! He is too young to have that kind of control. Threaten the loss of something he values if you have to.

If nothing else explain to him that on a neck shot you have about a 2 inch circle to put the bullet into.

On a behind the shoulder the size of that circle increases to what 4-5 inches?

Stuff happens when you pull the trigger. Which shot is more likely to lead to a wounded deer?
              Agree ^^^^

Comment

Nervous break down

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                As said depends on what you hit, I neckshot a buck with a 300 win mag, deers head was flopping around like a coontail on a f150 radio antanae when the 2nd shot knocked him down at a dead run about 60 yds further away.
                Had the same thing happen with my .300 , but found him still alive 10 days later chasing does , could not believe the massive amount of damage and him living with it never mind chasing the women

To the OP blast the deer through both shoulders ( break em down hard ) “ never lost a deer with no heart or lungs and two broken shoulders “

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post

To the OP blast the deer through both shoulders ( break em down hard ) “ never lost a deer with no heart or lungs and two broken shoulders “
                  ^^^^ I lost a few with the "behind the shoulder shot" but knock on wood, never lost one with the "through both shoulders shot."

Comment

I vote high shoulder and that is coming from a guy who was raised to only neck shoot animals because we hunted for meat. I didnt start shooting animals behind the shoulder until I started bowhunting.

Comment

Here’s a axis doe i shot with a 7mag
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2743.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	24604617

Comment

Originally posted by DPElite View Post
                        Here’s a axis doe i shot with a 7mag
                        [ATTACH]987375[/ATTACH]

Dang, that neck roast would have been delicious [emoji28]

Comment

Originally posted by backwoods101 View Post
                          dang, that neck roast would have been tender [emoji28]

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
                          fify

Comment

Tracking skills are part of hunting. So tell little buddy who's in charge and make it part of the hunt. Dad's not always going to be there, and you don't want to raise a snowflake.

Comment

My father in law shot a nice buck in the neck with his Contender (.223). Deer dropped but kept raising his head and trying to get up. He finished it off with his 30 06. He’s a fan of neck shots but I’m not

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                                He refuses?? Hmm.
                                He's 12?? Hmm.
                                lol 'bout right.

Comment

Working...
                                X