Heroin Addict Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heroin Addict Advice

Morning all- this is kinda hard to write into public forum, but I know several of you have real experiences with this and hoping for some advice. I won’t sugar coat it so you don’t either. I’ve spoken with my church friends but none of us understands like an ex-addict. PM me if needed.

My youngest brother, 30, Ex excellent baseball player, is a heroin addict amongst other opioids. I think he even snags meth sometimes. Whatever. Lives in panhandle area. Been in and out of jail and state run rehabs for 12 years. He got out from another 18 month stint in March and stayed with mom. Held a job for a couple months then fell off rails again, sleep all day, use, steal, lie, repeat. PO busted him and he went to another supposedly 90 day in corpus. Finagled his way out After 30. He’s a crafty emotional manipulator.

Mom has finally stopped enabling him by not allowing him in house or paying for phone and stuff. I’ve convinced her of the danger, plus she’s just tired of being used. Stopped taking his calls but he’s still at it trying to pull her heart strings for gain. But is breaking her heart- it’s her son after all. For last month we haven’t heard from him and we think he’s been mooching his way thru his remaining friends. (But still has cell smh)

That drug crowd is so bad.... all using each other and paranoid. I know the odds. I have prepared myself for the call. More worried about mom at this point.

We’ve continued to say we love and Emotional support , but that’s it.

So, here’s the reality; he’s used up most of people and now is about homeless. He hasnt replied to our text or calls in about 6 weeks. Last night I again encouraged him to rehab. He replied he’s ready to go anywhere and detox , but says the TDC rehabs are terrible with more drugs than the streets. I’m skeptical he just wants a place to stay and is lying for something short term (like a meal or hotel room).

my question; Are there any rehabs that work (if he truly wants it)? Recommendations? I want him as far away from his old crowd as possible, forever.
    Last edited by Double C; 10-17-2020, 07:24 AM.

That's the key brother, he has to want it. I'm in pretty much the same situation as you only my parents haven't quit enabling my brother. It's to the point where I don't see my family over it because of how my brother acts when we're around. Good luck!

Comment

I'm no help, but will pray for him and your family. My advice would be to get him to a place he knows no one, and get rid of his cell where he can't call old "friends"

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Prayers up for you, your brother, mom, and family.

Comment

All you can do is Pray, accept it (mourn) now, know they lie, know they aren’t the former person.

Comment

Unfortunately, as said before the key is he has to want it. That being said, I have heard going to a facility that is either far away from where he’s from in Texas, or another state, has really helped people.

Comment

It All Starts with him, there's truly nothing anyone else can do..
              Sad truth

Comment

Nope nope nope. Give zero assistance. You’re just another enabler at that point. He has to run out of options. He either figures it out on his own or you get that call.

Comment

I have a lot of experience in this area do absolutely nothing to help him he hast to want to quit and when he finally decides to put it down then he will put it down it is totally his decision it is not a disease it is not a condition you will never make me believe that
                  He is making his choices of his own free will and he has to make the choice to quit there are only 2 paths We can only hope and pray that he chooses the right one

Comment

Your not alone. Feel like I coulda wrote that story myself. It’s the worst feeling having to accept you cannot do anything to help. You obviously have been through the ringer and your family is in my prayers.

Comment

I don't have any advice... But I have prayers... For you and your whole family. I truly don't know what I would do...

Comment

Sorry man, seen a fair amount of this at work.
                        Unfortunately nobody can help them but them...

Always hurts to see the families suffer.

Comment

My wife lost two brothers to drug addiction. The family tried everything to help them. They went right back to drugs after rehab. They would say they wanted help but all they really wanted was money. Both had college degrees and were very successful before the drugs took over. It’s a very sad deal. I can’t imagine how i would feel if it were my brother. One of her brothers went from living in a big house on a golf course to living on the streets of LA. He overdosed in an ally 6 months ago. Your brother needs to get clean and have a mentor to keep him that way. Wish i had the answer for you. Will keep him in our prayers.

Comment

Prayers up for your family.

Comment

I had a coworker or ex coworker now, he was a heroin addict for around 10 years, went to rehab multiple stints. He recieved his 6 month chip a few weeks ago, let me reach out to him to find out where he went this most recent time. So far it seems to have turned his life around. I have known the guy for about 7 years and know for a fact he went to rehab atleast 10 times and never was able to get that 6 month chip up until now.

Comment

Working...
                              X