No announcement yet.

Official Astros 2020 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The league determined that the Red Sox scheme resulted in part because Watkins was tasked with both scouting and decoding opponents’ signs and working as video replay system operator. Watkins, according to the report, denied using the replay system to decode signs in real time. Investigators determined, however, that Watkins used the system to update pitcher-catcher sign sequences that no longer aligned with his pre-game scouting. He’d then forward the new sequences to players."

"In September 2017, the Red Sox were fined an undisclosed amount by the league office for using an Apple Watch to aid in a system that viewed, decoded and relayed to the dugout catchers’ signs."

If I'm understanding this correctly...

Houston used electronics to relay upcoming pitches to the dugout, so the dugout could relay the upcoming pitch to the batter.

Boston used electronics to relay what signs meant what pitch to the dugout, so a runner on second could relay the upcoming pitch to the batter.

So the main difference between the two is that one system (Houston) could be used at all times, and the other system (Boston) could only be used when a runner was on second base? Seems like acting like Houston's system was the greatest travesty in baseball history vs. acting like Boston's system didn't really matter is a bit, well, you know...

Comment

Look, I know your team can do no wrong so before I brought this up, I researched throughout the day to see if the media angle was overly tilted (because of that thing that happened).

I cant find a astros response to why they blocked the sell of the WS ring for auction/charity but here is the story. Seems like a tone deaf culture issue in that organization but decide for yourself:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/a...relief-effort/

On a side note, I didnt realize the bottom of the ring had "earned history" inscribed on it. Sure enough, lots of history in that astros season.

Comment

Astros announced refunds or credit to season ticket holders for first 3 months thru May....

Accounts will be credited in June....still no decision on a season or not

My guess is that no fans will allowed in this year

Comment

MLB has plans to start the season WITHOUT FANS around July 4 weekend...
          82 game schedule...
          universal designated hitter...

no interleague games

Sucks

Comment

Stros didn’t pick till 72 as punishment, but had compensatory pick after second round for losing Cole to free agency. MLB network guy love the pick. Said he could’ve gone end of first round. 18 year old pitcher from New York

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
              Stros didn’t pick till 72 as punishment, but had compensatory pick after second round for losing Cole to free agency. MLB network guy love the pick. Said he could’ve gone end of first round. 18 year old pitcher from New York

High velocity with super spin rate. Was watching espn and they loved the pick as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They just called the Rangers draft “puzzling”😂

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                  They just called the Rangers draft “puzzling”😂
                  Love it!. I saw a couple of w t f looks on the espn folks' faces after Daniels made a few pics.

Comment

So with the Astros having a small pool of money to sign their picks with, Im wondering what the signability is for the picks they made? I mean Santos is a stud and the slot value for him is 870K. It seems it might take quite a bit more than that to sign him and not go the college route. I guess if they dont sign him, I believe they get an extra pick next year and then they have that money to spread around to the 3 college players they chose.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                      So with the Astros having a small pool of money to sign their picks with, Im wondering what the signability is for the picks they made? I mean Santos is a stud and the slot value for him is 870K. It seems it might take quite a bit more than that to sign him and not go the college route. I guess if they dont sign him, I believe they get an extra pick next year and then they have that money to spread around to the 3 college players they chose.
                      They will not get a compensatory pick. I believe that is first round picks only. Tyler Brown, the Vanderbilt pitcher, is the only player with signability issues, but I am pretty sure he will sign. He is the closer for the Dores and the Astros will develop him as a starter. He also has a daughter with Down Syndrome. They might have to go a bit overslot for Santos, but I don't think it will be enough to make the other players less signable.

The Astros had been very good at signing guys under Luhnow (at least compared to Purpura and Ed Wade) and I expect that to continue with Click.
                      Last edited by El General; 06-12-2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

So they have reached deals with 2 of their picks and have verbal agreements with the other two. I guess for what they were working with, this worked out ok.

Comment

Baseball returns July 23 and 24. Anyone care?

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                            Baseball returns July 23 and 24. Anyone care?
                            Not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              Not yet.
                              Kinda how I feel. Maybe I'll feel different about it once it starts. Maybe not.

Comment

I'm just not woke yet. Maybe I'll come around.

Comment

Working...
                                X